PDA

View Full Version : How Can You Check:fan Relay

rich850t5
Monday 4th April 2005, 20:47
Hi how to check if the fan relay is faulty see botom reply

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:55
Best idea is to buy a new one and replace it? Thermocouple could be busted?

nikgallagher
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 09:48
Hi does anyone know how to check if the fan relay is faulty,my fan wont kick in and car is overheating,i have put a new thermostat in as someone had cut old one in half (ie: open)and now have the overheating probs thanks

Can't you just take the multi-plug (thermostatic temp switch?) off the fan and arc the contacts with a paper-clip? Mind your fingers though...

rich850t5
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 17:43
Can't you just take the multi-plug (thermostatic temp switch?) off the fan and arc the contacts with a paper-clip? Mind your fingers though...yeah done that for now but had to use 30amp cable as the smaller connector melted

rich850t5
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 17:48
Best idea is to buy a new one and replace it? Thermocouple could be busted?ERR i had thought of that one dave,what i wanted to know was are there any other temp sensors that might have gone? :confused: Didn't want to waste money on relay if the relay is working!

rich850t5
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 18:06
Hi does anyone know how to check if the fan relay is faulty,my fan wont kick in and car is overheating,i have put a new thermostat in as someone had cut old one in half (ie: open)and now have the overheating probs thanksOK Just an update,I have an 87deg thermostat,If i put an earth to the middle pins on the relay the fan works,so i still need to know where the sender/sensor unit is on the engine block :pants:

rich850t5
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 21:15
THANKS EVERY ONE I WORKED IT OUT IN THE END (so much for the experts on here)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 28th April 2005, 00:05
Are you gonna share your new found wisdom? I am all ears.

MattV70
Thursday 28th April 2005, 09:13
Ok so I'm nearly a month late but i can't remember seeing this thread before.

If anyone wants to check a relay in the future pm me with your email address and i'll send you a sheet on how to check all of the pins.

I've tried attaching the sheet, but it's too large and the system doesn't like it!

rich850t5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 20:42
Are you gonna share your new found wisdom? I am all ears.Quite simple in the end-on the relay there are 3 plugs/connectors taking out the middle plug you will see 2 pins,attach a wire to the earth terminal on the battery and then you can then earth out the 2 pins one is for slow speed(whan you switch off and fan keeps working)the other is the high speed fan if your fan works when you earth out the pins your relay is working!