PDA

View Full Version : CD changer

nobananas
Monday 4th April 2005, 20:46
Just found out that the six pack in Mrs NB's 96 850 won't play RW's ! I assume that it's because it is a little too old and needs updating to a newer changer but my question is this.....If I want to play mp3 files recorded onto CD can I buy a multichanger which will decode/decompress the files and play through the original head unit or am I going to have to spend a lot more money :frown:

Martinr
Monday 4th April 2005, 20:51
My changer plays homemade CDs no problem.

Must admit I haven't tried with rewritable discs.

I record mine at 8x and have many where I have used MP3 files as the source.

I do them with Windows Media so not doing anything fancy:)

nobananas
Monday 4th April 2005, 21:43
Are you sure they are mp3 files that your copying onto disc ? I have got an mp3 compatible cd player in my Renault and they are still quite a new thing. How many tracks can you copy onto disc because you can usually get between 4-6 hours onto one disc using mp3.

Andrew
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:26
Are you sure they are mp3 files that your copying onto disc ? I have got an mp3 compatible cd player in my Renault and they are still quite a new thing. How many tracks can you copy onto disc because you can usually get between 4-6 hours onto one disc using mp3.

He said the source files are MP3 - probably prior to conversion to put on cd-r.

A lot of players will play certain cd-r (kodak seem to be popular ones) many of the older cd players will not play cd-rw

Andrew.

mailee
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:29
Apparently I have been told that the Alpine 634 can play MP3's and will fit into the stock volvo double din head unit. Not tried it myself though has anyone else? :confused:

nobananas
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:34
Trouble is I don't really want to change the head unit as although it looks a bit dated it does sound very good.

M44K TS
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:56
what year is your car?

mine is '96 and it plays rw's and mp3's fine

GuyD5
Monday 4th April 2005, 23:07
There can be problems with CD-RWs that do not manifest themselves with CD-Rs .... to play MP3s the unit has to be MP3-capable (a-la Alpine unit) ... have you tried burning the music to CD-Rs (not as MP3s) rather than CD-RWs and then playing them through the car's unit? :)

MarkGolf
Monday 4th April 2005, 23:10
My changer is very on and off!
Sometimes it'll play my copied CD's, sometimes it wont!
And it takess soooooooooooooo long to initially start a CD and change between tracks, and jumps very often, i think it needs cleaning..

nobananas
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 21:39
Have burned disc to cd-r and it plays fine ! Haven't used cd-r's for such a long time as I bought a lot of re-writables in bulk to use in the other car which has got a much newer head unit. (Mrs NB's old Astra also had an mp3 compatable Kenwood stereo which I keep trying to sell but know one seems to want it :frown:

rs_andy
Thursday 7th April 2005, 14:16
Mine was like that when I got it (from a breakers yard, what a find!) and is now fine after I took the lid off and cleaned the lens with a cotton bud and some white spirit, most likely it's just full of muck.