PDA

View Full Version : Proof of age?

MattV70
Monday 4th April 2005, 18:01
Hi everyone

Just wondering if there was a way of finding out the age and history of a car, ie was it the first T-5R in the country?

I'll explain the background to the question then it might make a bit more sense.

My friend owns a yellow 850 T-5R which he bought last year from the Volvo garage where he used to work. The garage believes it to be the original Volvo press car and have photo's of it (or a car like it) on the Paris motor show stand (and others). The car was owned by Volvo for the first 5-6 years of it's life, and only did about 4k before it was sold (they carted it around on a transporter). The next chap that bought it put about 40k on it in the next 5 years, and then he px'd it for a new car last year.

My mate bought it from the dealer, but while they had it they lost a letter from Volvo stating that it was actually their official show car.

Basically aside from some photo's of a car on a show stand (which could be any Yellow T-5R), he has no proof that it's his car in the photo's. He has no reason to doubt the word of the dealer as he worked there before so he knows the salesman well. Is there any way (such as by checking his VIN number against an official registry) of proving that his car was the first (or one of the first) T-5R's in the country / europe?

He's considering selling it in a month or two so want's some solid proof to back his piccy's up!

FYI, it's a cracking car, especially for it's age!!! Everything's mint condition, with every extra that Volvo could throw at it, and it's still only got just over 50,000 miles on it!

Ta very much for any help

Matt (on behalf of my friend who is allergic to computers) :help:

Pedro Fandango
Monday 4th April 2005, 18:13
i wonder if a main dealer would be able to help on tracking such a letter, they can supply you directly with a maintance history but may be able to get a copy of the letter for you through Volvo GB

Andrew
Monday 4th April 2005, 18:20
If he sells it please tell him to contact me first :)

MattV70
Monday 4th April 2005, 18:23
Good idea Pedro. I'll ring him tonight and suggest that he gets back in touch with his old collegues at the dealership!

I've got some piccy's of it in my camera but i'm still in the darkages (pre-digital) so i've gotta finish the film and get them developed.

Justin
Monday 4th April 2005, 18:46
If you email me the VIN no. i can try sweden direct ;)

splatt
Monday 4th April 2005, 22:13
VADIS will tell you a bit of history on the car I believe, it may only be the service/fault history though,,,,
A canary yellow T-5R saloon...nmanual I hope 50K....get your wallet out....

MattV70
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 08:28
Yep it's manual

MattV70
Thursday 14th April 2005, 13:09
If you email me the VIN no. i can try sweden direct ;)

I just wanna say a big thanks to Justin for contacting Sweden for me regarding my friends 850 T5-R. :B_thumb:

It does look like the dealership was right and the car was the official Volvo R press car. He's had a print out showing that volvo did an annual service on the car even though it only did 21 miles in the year!

There aren't many cars that you can garuntee have been kept dry for the first 6 years of their life!!! :wow: :hail:

Anyway i've got a few piccys of it now so enjoy. I think the paint started off this pale it's not faded and his dad's T4 behind is a much brighter shade of putrid yellow!

Thanks again Justin

MattV70
Thursday 14th April 2005, 13:16
Arse! Forgot the pics

Sorry they're so small but had to reduce them for the size limit.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 14th April 2005, 13:27
He's a lucky chap!! Bout time you got him to get himself registered on here!! :wiggle:

x

MattV70
Thursday 14th April 2005, 13:34
I'd have to give him a course in how to turn on a computer first, and he lives in Sheffield, where i'm down in sunny leamington spa.

I'll get him to come along to a meet sometime.