PDA

View Full Version : So I broke the diff...

dougt5r
Monday 7th August 2006, 23:56
So I went to the track friday night.. didn't have the best of luck. I'll just copy the two posts:

fragged the diff in the T5R. Going down to a buddies shop in about an hour to access the damage (he just happens to have an extra m56 laying around praise allah). Well... I'm pretty sure its the diff

I just could not get the car to work for me at the track last night. Best time was a 14.2 @ 105 on street tires/trim. Put it on the scale with all my tools, theresa riding, jumper box (battery is deciding not to hold a charge), stereo... and ofcourse my fat ass the weight was just about 4000lbs :oops:

I wasn't even really abusing the car that hard. My second to last run wheel hopped for litterally the first time ever. Maybe 3-4 "hops" ... came back to the staging lane. Went over a bump wierd thought I heard the suspension rubbing. Came up to the line again, wheel hopped again, shifted and drove fine all the way down the track. Let off the gas, put on the brakes, turned off the track and the car wouldn't go into second. Started making intresting noises when turning. :grrr:

oh well. Tis life... Im more just dissapointed in the slow times than anything else. Though my 2.8 60' time run was priceless. I did manage (on my first run, honestly probably best of the night) a 2.35 60' time. Pacific raceway keeps the first 150' or so prep'd way better than Sac Raceway.

Well... wish me luck :**(

I broke it at 9:30PM...

I had it fixed by 9:15PM the next day... here was the follow up

good news is, Doug 1, Volvo 0.

http://www.pbase.com/dkauer744/image/64699437.jpg

Snagged the ring and pinnon from a spare (97) m56H. Transfered the ring gear and spiders to my carrier (mine has the tone ring for the speedo sensor), overhauled the trans as best we could. I did notice an intresting change from year to year. My 95 '56H had steel shift forks with plastic bushings bonded to it where it rides on the selectors. The 97 box had brass forks with no bushings. Took those put it mine, checked clearances put it all back together. Took about 10 hours from putting the car on the lift till when I drove home. I swear to god the "new" box shifts nicer than before.. but after 10 hours of work I think the fact it just drove made me feel happy.

The upside though is, I did get to fix a couple nagging issues while I had the subframe off and finally got to steam clean the bottom of it clean. I <3 working on nice clean cars.

So chaulk one up in the name of science.
:banghead:

The Flying Banana
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 00:00
I read your blog, i read your posts and i am ashamed of myself...i thought i knew about cars !! Your write ups make me sweat just reading them!!!

volvotuning
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 00:03
It's all part of racing Doug! you just gotta budget for things breaking. If you strengthen the diff, you'll find a weak link somewhere else, and so it goes on and on.

Adam.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 00:26
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Gearbox%203.jpg

Snap. A piece of my diff went through the casing last year....

dougt5r
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 00:32
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Gearbox%203.jpg

Snap. A piece of my diff went through the casing last year....

Frankly Im amazed this isn't what happened to me. It gouged up the case pretty good inside, but I SERIOUSLY lucked out.

Adam, my last 242 was like that. I was only frustrated cause it didn't go out in a blaze of glory... rather a fairly slow pass lol.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 01:03
Mine wasn't that impressive. A "thud" sound similar to a Seized Brake Calliper releasing when Pulling out of my car park. I then drove 20 miles on it with no Oil and it died just as I stopped in a layby locking the car completely, Car had to be dragged on to the recovery truck as the front wheels were locked...

'95R
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 07:16
I ran a faster time! :saythat:

Glad we could get your car all fixed up in a timely fashion :B_steerin :B_steerin

elliot
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 17:03
Doug how come you only trapped at 105mph?My car with a kkk24 managed 104.8 mph in 30 degrees of heat with a crap 2.38 60 ft and it only makes 316hp at the fly!This was your car with the gt3071r right?

dougt5r
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 00:02
Doug how come you only trapped at 105mph?My car with a kkk24 managed 104.8 mph in 30 degrees of heat with a crap 2.38 60 ft and it only makes 316hp at the fly!This was your car with the gt3071r right?

I know... it was frustrating. Just couldn't get the car to do anything right (I weighed it too.. between myself, all the tools, the full tank of gas, the jumper box, theresa riding down the track, stereo ect was in at like 4000lbs LOL). I wasn't really planning on going racing.

my worst 60' time was a 2.85 no joke... that was one of the wheel hop launches. I did find out today (on the freeway too) that I did have a semi-slipped silicone hose... that might have been like that for a while.

elliot
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 09:44
A combination of things then! I look forward to seeing what it will do with a sticky set of fronts,when its unning right.Good luck next time.