PDA

View Full Version : Making an exhaust system

anogg3
Monday 7th August 2006, 21:11
Thinking of making an exhaust system for my p2 v70 t5. What size would be best and how many boxes and where? I take it the turbo will silence it enough with just one box . Any one made one them selves that can shed some light on the subject?

Tomcat
Monday 7th August 2006, 21:35
I had a single silencer system on my car and it was great around town, but very boomy on the motorways. Unless you only drive around town I'd have at least two boxes on it, not sure about dia though, I'd say two and a half inch myself.

Serdar-S60T5
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 14:18
Thinking of making an exhaust system for my p2 v70 t5. What size would be best and how many boxes and where? I take it the turbo will silence it enough with just one box . Any one made one them selves that can shed some light on the subject?

hi... if you're looking at more serious mods in the future, i say, go 3.5" and straight through all the way, sticking to the original exhaust design but losing the middle resonator. ( if not, go for the 3" )

3.5" stainless steel dp + 3.5" race cat + of course 3.5" pipes all the way to your 3.5" straight through muffler.

that should be a very efficient and high flow exhaust system which will not limit you at all even at 400 bhp. :B_steerin

elliot
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 16:29
hi... if you're looking at more serious mods in the future, i say, go 3.5" and straight through all the way, sticking to the original exhaust design but losing the middle resonator. ( if not, go for the 3" )

3.5" stainless steel dp + 3.5" race cat + of course 3.5" pipes all the way to your 3.5" straight through muffler.

that should be a very efficient and high flow exhaust system which will not limit you at all even at 400 bhp. :B_steerin

I think that 3.5 inch would be an over kill when 3inch will do around 500hp,and if you are lowered alot,you may run into problems with clearance over the rear beam,although it would fit.I have a 3inch system and it clears the rear beam and my rear wheels are level with the arch.I had a 2.5 inch before and it was nicer for log trips noise wise but i gaind a fare bit more power when i went to 3inch.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 20:16
i made my exhaust
3 inch through
got a straight through box rite at the rear
& then a large roll neck tail pipe to exit
takes out any rasp from it,
not that its noisy anyway cos its a turbo,
but it sounds gorgeous & when you floor it then it goes mental,
drones a bit at speed but thats good cos it sounds awsome,
surprises a few people when you blast past

T5ER
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 20:22
i made my exhaust
3 inch through
got a straight through box rite at the rear
& then a large roll neck tail pipe to exit
takes out any rasp from it,
not that its noisy anyway cos its a turbo,
but it sounds gorgeous & when you floor it then it goes mental,
drones a bit at speed but thats good cos it sounds awsome,
surprises a few people when you blast past
you know whats coming next mate

:worthless

anogg3
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 20:23
Go on then what?

T5ER
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 20:42
Go on then what?
Pics of t5stealths exhaust mate we need pics

After_Shock
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 20:57
3' will run upto 700bhp with 600bhp being more than comfortable and its also difficult to get places to properly bend anything over 3' as they dont have the machines. Also anymore than 3' might not fit round the rear suspension/fuel tank or will be very difficult on some cars.

On my last one the set up was 3' downpipe into a 3' in and out cat then onto 2.5' for the rest of the system, sounded excellent and ran 340bhp no problems at all and also ran perfectly well on standard power at first.

TheButler
Friday 11th August 2006, 19:29
I was quite interested in making a twin exit exhaust but wouldn't really now how to go about it, any ideas ??

gillespie
Friday 11th August 2006, 21:14
I have a 3' straight from the cat back with no silencers or boxes, sounds great, Fraz has got twin exit pipes, must have been someone local who made them for him.

BlackBeast
Friday 11th August 2006, 21:19
I have a 3' straight from the cat back with no silencers or boxes, sounds great.

Can you get a video up or just the sound, as this is want i want to end up with but with a nice free flowing 3" Cat.

The Flying Banana
Friday 11th August 2006, 21:29
I have a 3' straight from the cat back with no silencers or boxes, sounds great, Fraz has got twin exit pipes, must have been someone local who made them for him.

Just a straight pipe right out the back ..not any expansion boxes at all!!!!???

After_Shock
Friday 11th August 2006, 22:02
Would be interested to hear one with no boxes at all!?

Depends on the car as to where its easiest to split a single to a twin, can be done with a single in twin out silencer simply just a splitter pipe but depends on the car as to where its best to do it.

The Flying Banana
Friday 11th August 2006, 22:37

Click on Frazs sig..pics of his exhaust from underneath are in there