PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem just after Rica?

Bison
Sunday 6th August 2006, 22:39
I'm off to VT on Friday for a proper look at the car but just wondered if anyone might have some idea.

First off, car has done 88k, has had new oil, plugs leads dizzy, the lot basically. So in good nick with FSH.

This never happened before RICA but not sure if related as been running ok all week.

Just had the 304 RICA running fine all week, just got back from Ultimate Street Car, Did 6 runs up the strip no probs, best time a 14.9 but track was slippy as f**k, anyways, on way back flooring it in 2nd gear and get a pop out the exhaust whilst accelerating, car doesn't back off or blip in acceleration, but it is worrying me. My friend has noticed some blue smoke a little puff but only did it once. Then raced an 02 Integra type R tonight, no probs in beating him but flooring it in 4th I looked in my mirror and there was a lot of smoke coming out the back in his headlights. Not sure if its related to the pop im getting out my exhaust.

Any ideas?

Bison

T5SLAVE
Sunday 6th August 2006, 22:46
Im no expert but that sounds like it could b trouble?

U have been givin the car a hard time 4 the past week, espesh the weekend (not that I have a problem with that:) ) but this is all on the back of a new RICA upgrade! Could this b a good reason 2 consider some other more serious changes when askin these units 2 suddenly start turnin out more power???

I'll b very interested in hearin what the experts on here think, after all I'm out n out paranoid...the slightest blip n I'm backin off the loud peddle, n straight down the garage, LOL!

Andrew
Sunday 6th August 2006, 22:54
Fact is any ECU tune pushes the engine harder (does more with the same lump). This means that any problems that where maybe not noticeable at normal power can show up when the engine is pushed that much harder.

Best have it checked out - as you mentioned you're going down to VT - best place to get things analysed as they have the RICA knowledge and the mechanical knowledge to look at what the problems may be.

Bison
Sunday 6th August 2006, 22:58
after all I'm out n out paranoid

Yep so am I mate, I can't afford any more probs just spent nearly 2k on her in tuning and bits.

Im just thinking was it all for nothing. I seriously hope not, will be taking it very easy until Friday, but on motorway cruising at 90 all the way back today was smooth with no smoke, it was just after hammering it tonight i got the most smoke, but that exhaust pop started as I left Santa Pod, that's the big worry for me, the smoke would just be a ££££ed turbo which is not my biggest worry.

Bison

T5SLAVE
Sunday 6th August 2006, 23:12
Yep so am I mate, I can't afford any more probs just spent nearly 2k on her in tuning and bits.

Im just thinking was it all for nothing. I seriously hope not, will be taking it very easy until Friday, but on motorway cruising at 90 all the way back today was smooth with no smoke, it was just after hammering it tonight i got the most smoke, but that exhaust pop started as I left Santa Pod, that's the big worry for me, the smoke would just be a ££££ed turbo which is not my biggest worry.

Bison

I don't know much m8 but I know it certainly aint all 4 nothin! Don't get too worried just yet, eh! Cosset the car till it gets 2 VT then just ride with whatever the outcome happens 2b...u've spent a load on the car up2 this point so whatever it turns out 2b, it'll b well worth spendin more on it I'm sure:)

Bear it in mind that my paranoia will cost me alot o money at some point in the near future when I ask my engine n box 2 start turnin out silly horses...ur already part way there, just b prepared 2 finish the job off, that's all.
This could all b worryin 4 nowt m8 at the end o the day...chin up dude:anmflower

st1t5
Monday 7th August 2006, 07:43
Im certainly not an expert just things iv learnt along the way from my 21 turbo but if there is blue smoke on heavy accelarating i would be inclined to think the turbo seals are on the way out, does it smoke when idling after a normal or heavy drive ?

Bison
Monday 7th August 2006, 22:36
Non on idle, and can't notice any whilst its being booted at mo, just that little puff on the roundabout when i was going down the gears.

Bison

st1t5
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 05:12
Dont think i would be worrying to much about it then, as you say you are getting VT to check the car over so im sure they will sort you out ...

Have you used alot of oil since last time you checked it ? .. that should give you a rough indication as to how much its burnt.

My C70 T5 (standard) spewed a puff out once when i was racing the girlfriend in her Megane, and when i stopped at a junction and pulled out gently i noticed again another puff but since then its never happened again ... now i did check my oil level after that and found that the oil level was above the maximum mark, the car had just had its service and the garage put too much oil in so i just put it down to that, however ... on normal driving its fine but if i give the C70 abit of stick it does drink the stuff ... but no smoke though.

Hope everything is ok ;)

Bison
Friday 11th August 2006, 23:21
Sorted....

VT sorted my car proper today, spark plugs were the problem with the popping out the exhaust, turns out, that standard plugs can't cope with the power, one was near enough melted. Anyways one new set of iridiums later and she was running beautifully again.

No blue smoke nothing, had to get new boost solenoid as well, and with a few tweeks from Adam car is much faster than when first RICA'd.

Very Happy

Bison

T5SLAVE
Friday 11th August 2006, 23:47
Sorted....

VT sorted my car proper today, spark plugs were the problem with the popping out the exhaust, turns out, that standard plugs can't cope with the power, one was near enough melted. Anyways one new set of iridiums later and she was running beautifully again.

No blue smoke nothing, had to get new boost solenoid as well, and with a few tweeks from Adam car is much faster than when first RICA'd.

Very Happy

Bison

Now that's what I call good news, chuffed 4 ya m8...mayb I underestim8 these Swedish lumps, LOL!

shaun850
Saturday 12th August 2006, 01:20
nice one VT:)

cars does feel nice now bisonx

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 12th August 2006, 02:56
Glad to hear it wasnt overly complex.

Nathlm
Saturday 12th August 2006, 09:06
Good to hear that the staff were working well with Adam whilst we were on holiday. I have to say we really do have some excellent people working for us!

volvotuning
Saturday 12th August 2006, 09:25
Andrew, I'm glad you like it now :)

Adam.