PDA

View Full Version : Induction compared

Ren
Sunday 6th August 2006, 15:21
I see no problem with experimenting if you've already aquired an item i.e. I have spent today cleaning out my garage and low and behold I found an old pipercross induction kit. This got me thinking, because I am really impressed with my standard box and the sound of the turbo spool as the filter is almost silent, but I had time on my hands.

The results were suprising. On one hand I did notice a degree of slow initial response with the induction until it got to the higher revs and it pulled stronger. The plus side was the recirculation sound! wow! The pipercross filter itself made no more noise than the drop-in one but the first time I was at high boost and released...I though I blew a hose off! (I have the standard circulating valve and knew the old set up had a nice sound to it). I stopped immediately to check the hoses etc and all was fine. I will have to try and record it because it sound distinctly like that 850 vid with the forge recirc valve on it. I've attached some piccys of it in its current state. I may tidy things up a bit more.

I need to see how she reacts to longer and hotter jouneys as I only covered a couple of miles but I think for the time being I will compramise with the bhp and have this awesome sound!!

SaffronC70
Sunday 6th August 2006, 15:28
lol ! I see you wasted no time in painting the top of the cone !

Modify the top of the original airbox to fit on top :)

Chris

Ren
Sunday 6th August 2006, 15:29
You read my mind!lol

SaffronC70
Sunday 6th August 2006, 15:35
mask and spray up the top of the battery as well - do it nicely and it will look smart imo.

Chris

T5SLAVE
Sunday 6th August 2006, 15:35
I love the sound the induction kits make too m8...likin the work so far, happy experimentin:anmflower

Ren
Sunday 6th August 2006, 15:37
mask and spray up the top of the battery as well - do it nicely and it will look smart imo.

Chris

In saffron or the matt black?

SaffronC70
Sunday 6th August 2006, 15:43
two tone ?

Ren
Sunday 6th August 2006, 15:47
two tone ?

I have a few hours sunshine left today, why not? I'm going back out to give it a go!

Cheers Chris

unijoe
Monday 7th August 2006, 08:49
haha, you saffron guys are weiiiird :p

+1 on the fitament of the top filter cover onto pipercross setup!

SaffronC70
Monday 7th August 2006, 09:49
yours is white, perfect for spraying saffron :)

Serdar-S60T5
Monday 7th August 2006, 15:13
hmm... sound in exchange for power...
:)
ok then, how much power do you think you lost there?
i think i'm being inticed to try a cone filter on mine :troutslap

and i do not want to restart a cliche, but how much difference in power, over the stock box panel filter drop in, would one see with a cone filter equipped with a 'very good' cold air intake?

Ren
Monday 7th August 2006, 17:52
I will admit I am totally re-thinking this here because to be quite honest the sound is amazing, but the response is lousy around town compared to my original setup. I am going to do more research and play with a few ideas. I will keep you posted on developments.

Serdar-S60T5
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 13:54
:) ok then... good luck mate. will be waiting for your results before i do this.

woz
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 22:37
... but the response is lousy around town compared to my original setup..........

maybe a trip to VT for a rolling road setup????
W:>)

arbee
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 22:48
from what i saw of SaffronC70's at the last SE meet, it looked mighty impressive.

Regardless of power, the sound it made as it booted off up the road was awesome :)

Ren
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 16:49
from what i saw of SaffronC70's at the last SE meet, it looked mighty impressive.

Regardless of power, the sound it made as it booted off up the road was awesome :)

I don't have that problem. My custom exhaust note more than makes up for it! Listen to the clip on my site. Plus, I think I prefer the spool up sound. I'm still experimenting anyway. keep you posted.

Ren
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 16:53
maybe a trip to VT for a rolling road setup????
W:>)

Saving as we speak for something special. Just buying my time playing with things that don't cost a fortune at the moment.

I 've put the 'stock' box on, sealed the internals and taken a stanley blade to my pipercross drop-in filter to reduce the thickness. It works so much better than the cone I put on.