PDA

View Full Version : 305 mm Brake Discs

Fatspice
Sunday 6th August 2006, 11:08
Having bought the S70, the brakes were not very good to say the least on the front. Whilst up on the lift at work I had a CRAFT (Can't Remember A Thing) moment. I ordered 305mm discs instead of 302mm. They fitted with no problems, once I cleaned off the scale build up from the carriers. I can't tell you if they have improved the brakes 'cos they were crap any way.
Has any one else done this? and if so what do you think (if there is any!) of the improvement?:smirk:

iGGy
Sunday 6th August 2006, 12:37
I doubt they've improved anything from a physics point of view. Your brake pad area is still the same and the pressure point acting on the disc is also the same, regardless of diameter.

Maybe that it's just a better quality disc and you're now seeing improvements from that...and the fact they're new :biggrin:

dicky b t5
Sunday 6th August 2006, 12:48
I can imagine that they will work better cos their new.
Can't see the extra 3mm making much of a differance, did you fit new Pads as well ? :)

Fatspice
Sunday 6th August 2006, 17:57
I always fit new pads with new discs. It's false economy not to.
The outer 3/4 inch of the inside of the discswere corroded and scaley. Outside was fine. Is this a familiar/common problem?

siamblue
Sunday 6th August 2006, 19:33
Think you will find the 305's are 28mm thick instead of the 302 26mm,

Justin
Sunday 6th August 2006, 19:54
Theyre off an S80 i think

Fatspice
Monday 7th August 2006, 13:34
Think you will find the 305's are 28mm thick instead of the 302 26mm,
That's good 'cos it will be a bit longer before I wear them out.
I'll probably have a brake upgrade by then!!:smileypul

Straker
Monday 7th August 2006, 16:05
They won't make any differance to the outright braking because the caliper is the same and hasn't moved. They are probably just feelign better because the brakes have been serviced.