PDA

View Full Version : Quick Answer required please oil!!

dipsta
Sunday 6th August 2006, 09:23
Morning guys,i'm going to change the oil on my v70R 1997 auto, she's been running 10W40 and has been using a little too much oil and has been smokey on occasions, seen as its summer and ill probably knock up 5000 in the next 2 months or so, is a 15W 40 ok, its just free for me to use this as im a bit strapped for cash i just wondered if it would be a good idea?

I have read several posts on oil and i reckon 70% say 10/40 s/s or f/s and the rest on 5/30

theres no mention on 15W/40 i understand its thicker 15W means cold temperature etc etc.

What do you guys reckon???

Justin
Sunday 6th August 2006, 10:40
I have used it in the past without issues, ideally it needs to be 10/40 but if needs must it wont do any damage :)

Fatspice
Sunday 6th August 2006, 10:47
I personally used 5w/40 fully synthetic in my '97 S70 T5 about 1,000 miles ago. No smoke, no loss/usage in that time.
Just looked in hand book. It recommends 15w/40 or 20w/40 for driving conditions that involve excessive oil consumption. I have never used 20w/40 in the course of my job though. I hope this helps rather than confuses!!!!!!!

Fatspice
Sunday 6th August 2006, 10:48
'97 S70 T5 has covered 121,000 miles BTW.

Jod T5
Sunday 6th August 2006, 11:03
Morning guys,i'm going to change the oil on my v70R 1997 auto, she's been running 10W40 and has been using a little too much oil and has been smokey on occasions, seen as its summer and ill probably knock up 5000 in the next 2 months or so, is a 15W 40 ok, its just free for me to use this as im a bit strapped for cash i just wondered if it would be a good idea?

I have read several posts on oil and i reckon 70% say 10/40 s/s or f/s and the rest on 5/30

theres no mention on 15W/40 i understand its thicker 15W means cold temperature etc etc.

What do you guys reckon???

if your struggling to keep you 10w in the engine, there is no point going downwards anyway....depending in where and how much oil you are using would make my decision...for instance if the oil is going out from the turbo i would stick with what i got, or if its out the rings or stem seals you could opt for 15w or even 20w/50 if your well binto....but remember the oil cools your turbo too so dont thrash and wait after driving a little longer for the turbo to cool...
cheers
jod

dipsta
Sunday 6th August 2006, 11:12
cheers guys howmuch oil?

Jod T5
Sunday 6th August 2006, 11:18
howmuch oil?
yeah, er how much oil are you using......
how much oil do you have to put in the engine to bring the level up to the dipsick mark it was at the last time you filled it up.....and how many miles did that do....? that way you can work out "what" sort of leak you have....a small one or a big one......
cheers
jod

dicky b t5
Sunday 6th August 2006, 12:58
Been using 10w40 semi in my "R" since i've had it with no issues at all...
its whats recommended for it.

I'd check to see where your losing the oil....cos mine dont use any at all.

abdul
Sunday 6th August 2006, 20:18
checked for a leak

dipsta
Sunday 6th August 2006, 21:13
no leak just a little smoky in the morning, soon as shes warm its ok

valve stem seals?

Mark2cars
Sunday 13th August 2006, 12:47
More Oily issues.

Topped up the oil when leaving France a couple of weeks ago - did about 1,000 miles then the engine turned over but wouldn't start one morning. Had to go to work in another car but the AA man recons the low oil caused lack of compression. PLus the fact was parked pointing down hill. Oil level checked on flat was only just over tip of dipstick!! Had to put about 2.5 litres in to get it back to what it was now starts and runs fine. Most of that 1000 miles was at 80 mph - do I have an oil burner then? If so what is the cure? Will compression test tell me much and if so what should the compression be? Certainly don't see smoke out the back - but then again I don't often look backwards under full acceleration.
Any advice? Thanks, Mark

poochingaround
Sunday 13th August 2006, 12:57
Only just read the thread ,IF 15/40 is being used ensure, even though its free it is NOT HD or XHD which is manufactured for diesel engine usage .Using this will wash out all the carbon deposits and engine damage WILL occur.