PDA

View Full Version : 302 mm brake upgrade planning

woz
Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 23:02
Hi All, Hope this is the right forum -
I am looking for some front brake caliper mounting brackets (for 1996 850 T5 Estate) to use with 302 mm discs.
Reason is : Planning for 302 mm upgrade, want to check if fits with existing 16" wheels BEFORE I invest in the bigger discs so thought I would buy the cheapest bits first. I could buy the caliper mounts off Volvo, but thought I would try on here first then Ebay, then Volvo - so anyone got a spare pair?

I really want useable ones, but if you have a ****e pair you want rid of, it wuld allow me at least to reduce my risk by checking the fitment before purchase, so I could still part with a few bob for them - a win-win deal.

So, any offers? I intend to wrap it up by Fri 17th Aug. Suggest PM me with what you got and what you want in exchange?

Cheers

Happy motoring and, please, dont have nightmares.

Woz.

thunderace
Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 23:15
think part no is 8602456

won't fit with columba's but other 16" ok

woz
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 00:07
think part no is 8602456

won't fit with columba's but other 16" ok
Are they the standard T5 Alloys? If so, "Oh Poo!" and is it fixable with spacers or a wee bit of machining as I quite like them, flaky paint and all!
Athough I could replace rather than refurb if that is the situation.
Cheers
W:>)
Tried to post pic but could not so will have a surf on the net. Aaa... see http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=1888
thats what they are!

Vikingxl
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 02:45
I think Justin may have a set of perfos that would do the job but im not sure send him an email!

woz
Monday 7th August 2006, 16:23
Thanks. Done!

wright_t5
Monday 7th August 2006, 16:44
Have you fitted them discs yet???

I did the same upgrade at the week-end...... new discs, pads, brake lines... feels better already...........

Anyone want a set of 280 Brembos?? wear marks still intact.....

thunderace
Monday 7th August 2006, 17:37
Are they the standard T5 Alloys? If so, "Oh Poo!" and is it fixable with spacers or a wee bit of machining as I quite like them, flaky paint and all!
Athough I could replace rather than refurb if that is the situation.
Cheers
Tried to post pic but could not so will have a surf on the net. Aaa... see http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=1888
thats what they are!

Yeah they're columbas, not sure about machining, thought of that myself but didn't persure any further, bought 17's instead.
perfos are ok (as per viking) as are any 17+ rims

woz
Monday 7th August 2006, 17:57
Have you fitted them discs yet???

I did the same upgrade at the week-end...... new discs, pads, brake lines... feels better already.........

No - not yet - local supplier slow in getting back to me with a price, saw two options on Partsforvolvosonline(Black diamond or Mintex - dont know the difference except cost and colour) , phoned VT today for a price/recommendation, told to try again next week when Hamish back from hols. So still trying to get the kit of bits together now. My daughter wants to help me spanner it during her school hols (Bloody petrolhead!), so am trying to forge ahead now.

What supplier did you use and how do you find the braking performance now?
Cheers

wright_t5
Monday 7th August 2006, 18:12
sENT PM

woz
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 18:12
Thanks - good to speak - look forward to hearing update.
b.t.w.
Spotted standard 302mm brake discs (V62203) at £29-50 each on GSF car spares.

Getting Strutbrace from VT tomorrow. Ordering calipers tomorrow and aiming to do brakes next week. Will def. report back when done.

barberecpw
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 18:31
Hi All, Hope this is the right forum -
I am looking for some front brake caliper mounting brackets (for 1996 850 T5 Estate) to use with 302 mm discs.
Reason is : Planning for 302 mm upgrade, want to check if fits with existing 16" wheels BEFORE I invest in the bigger discs so thought I would buy the cheapest bits first. I could buy the caliper mounts off Volvo, but thought I would try on here first then Ebay, then Volvo - so anyone got a spare pair?

I really want useable ones, but if you have a ****e pair you want rid of, it wuld allow me at least to reduce my risk by checking the fitment before purchase, so I could still part with a few bob for them - a win-win deal.

So, any offers? I intend to wrap it up by Fri 17th Aug. Suggest PM me with what you got and what you want in exchange?

Cheers

Happy motoring and, please, dont have nightmares.

Woz.

ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-V70R-302MM-BIG-BRAKE-KIT-WITH-CALLIPERS-850-C70_W0QQitemZ130013697227QQihZ003QQcategoryZ23013Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

woz
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 23:36
ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-V70R-302MM-BIG-BRAKE-KIT-WITH-CALLIPERS-850-C70_W0QQitemZ130013697227QQihZ003QQcategoryZ23013Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks - just popped a bid in - now off to bed.
LOL

barberecpw
Thursday 10th August 2006, 08:08
..cool!, good luck eh. :)

t5tart
Friday 11th August 2006, 03:32
ooops my bad
sorry i bought them

woz
Friday 11th August 2006, 22:43
ooops my bad
sorry i bought them
Good - glad they went to a good home not some boy racer.

Speakn to VT on Mon - may end up buying havn new all round. Have fun;>)

W:>):B_steerin

t5tart
Saturday 12th August 2006, 03:10
Good - glad they went to a good home not some boy racer.

Speakn to VT on Mon - may end up buying havn new all round. Have fun;>)

W:>):B_steerin

keep an eye on this guy
he goes to salvo and cherry picks the bits he knows go well
i was talking to him up there on tuesday

wright_t5
Wednesday 16th August 2006, 12:09
302mm upgrade done, Man what a difference.... sooo much better than the standard brakes, no fade, plenty um stopping power now....
:B_steerin

Paul
Wednesday 16th August 2006, 21:17
im looking forward to doing mine aswell :) should be done 2morrow