PDA

View Full Version : Top engine mount

spencem875
Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 22:00
How hard is this to change? being a novis and all.

Ren
Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 22:19
15 minute (ish) job depending what condition the original is in. You need a spanner and socket to undo the one bolt. A hacksaw blade is required to cut the old one out and a jack to support the engine - support not lift or you'll damage the other mounts. Finanlly, last but no means least...brut strength trying to put the new one in.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 22:26
The top engine stabliser bar isn't load carrying so you can get away without supporting the engine.

It's pretty straight forward to do :
I used a WD40, long bolt and two huge washers to gradually work the bush back into position.

spencem875
Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 23:04
Ty, best place to purchase a new 1?

thunderace
Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 23:12
try these

www.partsforvolvosonline.com

Vikingxl
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 02:51
Or try VT mate they do mail order as well

Babybadger
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 09:26
The top engine stabliser bar isn't load carrying so you can get away without supporting the engine.

It's pretty straight forward to do :
I used a WD40, long bolt and two huge washers to gradually work the bush back into position.

I second that method, it took me an hour to work out the best way, so I didn't pass the mensa test. One problem is the nearside part of the bush, as the bush is slighty larger than the bar's hole, and the other problem is cutting the old one out. Be careful you dont hacksaw into the stabiliser bar, but there is a load of hardened rubber and then a plastic ring to cut through, just watch the metal,that's the bush!

dreadly
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 09:54
Hint :- Put the new bush into the Deep-Freeze before attempting to fit it, idealy it needs Cryogenically freezing, but the deep freeze will make it a lot easier to fit, especially if you can heat up the bush carrier first a little - e.g. put it in boiling water or boiling oil.

I have successfuly fitted bushes into carrier mounts using hot oil and the deep freeze in the past without using 'any' force whatsoever.
Sometimes just freezing the bush is enough.

The wife wasn't very happy to find the deep fat fryer in the garage though!!! - Full of GTX!

Babybadger
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 11:22
Hint :- Put the new bush into the Deep-Freeze before attempting to fit it, idealy it needs Cryogenically freezing, but the deep freeze will make it a lot easier to fit, especially if you can heat up the bush carrier first a little - e.g. put it in boiling water or boiling oil.

I have successfuly fitted bushes into carrier mounts using hot oil and the deep freeze in the past without using 'any' force whatsoever.
Sometimes just freezing the bush is enough.

The wife wasn't very happy to find the deep fat fryer in the garage though!!! - Full of GTX!

You're a sick man.....but I like your style! If I tried that with my wife's bush :lol: , I may get a slap! Lol!

dreadly
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 11:57
You're a sick man.....but I like your style! If I tried that with my wife's bush :lol: , I may get a slap! Lol!

don't call me sick until you hve tried it ;)

That sounds mighty painfull, however, not as painfull as an accident a friend of mine had with his wifes bush and a bottle of 'Daves Insanity sauce' !!!

check it out - Phew!
http://www.davesgourmet.com/

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 17:04

How were the Chips...?

Jod T5
Friday 4th August 2006, 08:27
How hard is this to change? being a novis and all.
all you need is a junior hacksaw blade taped at both end to cut out the old bush and one of these http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=3806

these bushes slide together and the metal bolt sleeve can be hand pushed in or with a g clamp if your a wimp
simple
cheers
jod

arbee
Friday 4th August 2006, 10:17
or this one is a tenner cheaper?
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_546_385_387&products_id=2288

whats the difference? Jod - your link is 'Superflex' my link is 'powerflex?;

I checked mine just the other day and the rubber is sheared! An urgent job methinks!

Edit - also anyone know where i can get wish bone bushes cheaper? £60 seems a lot for a few lumps of rubber!

Jod T5
Sunday 6th August 2006, 09:42
or this one is a tenner cheaper?
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_546_385_387&products_id=2288

whats the difference? Jod - your link is 'Superflex' my link is 'powerflex?;

I checked mine just the other day and the rubber is sheared! An urgent job methinks!

Edit - also anyone know where i can get wish bone bushes cheaper? £60 seems a lot for a few lumps of rubber!

no idea rich but what i would say is i had no messing around getting my one in...you hear stories of people spending days doing them...takes 20 mins max ...if you wanna come to me i will do it for you....
cheers
jod

Jod T5
Sunday 6th August 2006, 09:53
powerflex do a set... http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products.asp?cat=0038&catalog=0138&submit1.x=29&submit1.y=15
im sure straker has them on his t5
alternativly i bought 2 new control arms for mine from ££££stones for around £85.00 each and saved the agg of popping the old, heat welded bushes out...
cheers mate
jod

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 6th August 2006, 10:01
We sell the powerflex ones a well worth while mod

Jod T5
Sunday 6th August 2006, 10:27
We sell the powerflex ones a well worth while mod
what the powerflex control arm bushes?? i got two old arms so i can do them when i can be arsed....
if so i will have some....how much we talking??
cheers
jod

Fatspice
Sunday 6th August 2006, 11:35
I know it's slightly off thread, but do the poly suspension bushes make a big difference?

spencem875
Monday 7th August 2006, 10:31
All done, no real problems :Handshake

arbee
Monday 7th August 2006, 10:39
just watched a used (admitidly only for 5 miles) top mount go for £19 + posting on ebay - wtf! i think i'll buy new :)

arbee
Monday 7th August 2006, 10:50
ok - just ordered mine from the local dealer £23 delivered :)

spencem875
Monday 7th August 2006, 10:55
£7 from G&S.

woz
Monday 7th August 2006, 17:04
...alternativly i bought 2 new control arms for mine from ££££stones for around £85.00 each ...
jod
Sorry if i am dim, but who are ££££stones - and have you a link???
Cheers
W:>)