PDA

View Full Version : wheel and tyre problem

Baj
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 14:20
I got in the car today and started driving down the road when I noticed my rear tyre was flat, again. Low profiles, reeealy hard to tell by looking.
I drove to the garage round teh corner and put air in but it wouldnt inflate.
The air going in was coming out round an area of the rim.
The rim itself isnt damaged (apart from some minor scuffing).

Is it leaking cos the rubber has come away from the beading from being driven?
Is the trye knackered? £120 I dont have
Is the wheel knackered? £150 I dont have

Baj
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 14:22
I should add that the missus' car is in the garage getting its MoT fail sheet.
She has gone to work in her sisters car (who we live with). I am supposed to be picking her sister up from work later.
And its raining !

dreadly
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 14:28
Put some of that squirty seal stuff in, that will seal a small leak, or use the spare and take it to a quick-bodge garage to have the tyre re-fitted using sealing compound.

Or squirt some lighter fluid inside the rim, then chuck a match in, works on landrovers! :)

Cueball_MOB
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 14:40
DON'T USE TYRE WELD! A lot of tyre places won't touch it if you've used the stuff - I used to carry one in my car for emergencies but after my Dad had loads of trouble getting his wheel fixed after using the stuff, I binned it.

Cheers

Cue

Baj
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 14:43
This weather is killing me!
It was raining so I thought I'd have my luch and wait for it to stop.
Halfway through lunch it stopped.
Now I have finished its pissing it down!
I guarentee if I go out and change the wheel in the rain it will stop as soon as I finish

dreadly
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 14:45
Lol... Just put the spare on...

A) It's also flat
b) Wot spare :)
c) It's a high-pressure 50mph runflat pain in the arse half tyre

Baj
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 16:40
I have never owned a car with a decent spare, this one is no exception.
I holds air tho.
Took it down to the tyre place. It was leaking round the rim, so he removed the tyre, cleaned up the rim, added some goop and balanced it.
£16 later all is good \o/

The missus' car failed the mot, the most expensive thing being 2 new tyres. This despite the fact that the handbrake needs to be near vertical to get any sort of braking!

T5pike
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 17:36
Never try and inflate a tyre that has been runflat without seeking advise as you could have broken the bead in the tyre and when you inflate it it couled letgo and do serious dammage to yourself.
Remember tyres are the only thing between you and the road makesure there gooduns there is no point in skimping on cost £150 is small change in conparison to a life.
I know it sounds a but boring but trustme it just aint wurthit.

dreadly
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 18:18
Never try and inflate a tyre that has been runflat without seeking advise as you could have broken the bead in the tyre and when you inflate it it couled letgo and do serious dammage to yourself.
Remember tyres are the only thing between you and the road makesure there gooduns there is no point in skimping on cost £150 is small change in conparison to a life.
I know it sounds a but boring but trustme it just aint wurthit.

Hear, hear, well said, however, I do have a three quarter inch split in me front offside tyrewall that seems to be growing, but I have over 10mm's of tread left and no spare £100+fitting

Baj
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 18:34
They are good uns, thats why they are £150 a corner not £40.
Trouble is they are such low profile there is very little visible difference between inflated and flat

abdul
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 21:49
good to know your back on the road