PDA

View Full Version : Consequences of Strut Brace

2volvos
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:05
Hi

Had a strut brace fitted to my V40 2.0T last Monday and boy, does it improve things. Excellent service from Chip Tuning in Bromsgrove. I would recommend them to all Volvo owners. First time I'd been there and as well as fitting the brace, gave my car a go check over, diagnosed a small oil leak and fixed the sticking bonnet catch. Will be going back there.

Anyway, this brace certainly transforms the turn in and turns the 40 into a real drivers' car. But, with today's first rain for a longtime was it skittish or what? This improved turn in seems to have robbed the thing of any traction it had - which wasn't a lot in the first place. Methinks tyres are suddenly going to last about half the usual length of time....

thunderace
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:26
yes a brace does tighten up the front

maybe the fact it hasn't rained for a while had an effect on grip, in that the rubber from tyres and other various crap gets washed out of the cracks in the roadway and forms a very slippery film on the surface. this goes after a while what with rain and usage. but causes probs for a short while. we dont usually notice as it is always peeing down. :)

abdul
Monday 31st July 2006, 22:57
the brace does make a good difference

2volvos
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 13:37
Yes, I agree about the effect the first rain for a while has on the roads - a few mates at work had similar 'issues' with their Golf GTis etc.

Phuturephantasy
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 21:27
Must get me one of those - I often have my car howling across the road when throwing it in, might just get a few more miles out of my tyres to help pay for it.

2volvos
Saturday 5th August 2006, 21:27
The one I got fitted was £165 - a genuine Volvo accessory. Money well spent I think. Apparently Sparco and OMP do braces for S/V40s but only the non-turbo'd models. Can't imagine much of a market for tuning 1.6 S40s, but there you go - takes allsorts. I love that way I can get a just audible amount of tyre squeal from the inside wheel away from roundabouts. But compared to without the brace you can just dial on the lock and it just goes where you point it.