PDA

View Full Version : Avon Park end of April

spesh
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 17:23
There is another RWYB weekend at the end of April 30th I think, I will be goin up to test out my car, I know it's soon but let me know if anyone else is interested. :redface:

rich850t5
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 22:36
There is another RWYB weekend at the end of April 30th I think, I will be goin up to test out my car, I know it soon but let me know if anyone else is interested. :redface:I just might be up for that one i didn't run on the 2ND.Have just been playing around with mine and it feels like i've just unleased another 40bhp :wow:

Mrsmopp
Monday 4th April 2005, 09:48
I'm afraid I wont be able to make that weekend as its DaveS70R's b'day :worried: Sorry

x

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th April 2005, 09:49
Alas that also goes for me too.

Bracer
Monday 4th April 2005, 09:51
Typical I'm on holiday for this one :doh:

DONKEYT5
Monday 4th April 2005, 21:17
Well im up for a run, in my standard t5! I have never done this sort of thing in a controlled environment and legally!! so it should be great fun!
Count me in please!
don

swordy21
Monday 4th April 2005, 21:49
If I can get a pass out from the "general" I would love to come. Didn't run either at Avon, poorly suspension, but it will have been fixed and RICA'd by then. (If my last employer gets their ar*e into gear and sends me the rest of my redundancy cheque - Anyone know a good solicitor!!!!!!!!!

DaveS60D5
Monday 4th April 2005, 23:09
I'm afraid I wont be able to make that weekend as its DaveS70R's b'day :worried: Sorry

x

Thanks Guys :)

Yeah I won't be able to come for the same reason - my birthday celebrations are that night - anyone is welcome to join me see the following link to the relevant post, cheers!:

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=12516&posted=1#post12516

Would definitely like to do Avon again some other time though, May perhaps? :)

spesh
Monday 4th April 2005, 23:23
No worries dave and for the others who cant make it, hope you have a great day anyway, I will be traveling from avon park on the saturday up the motorway a bit to meet you lot on the sunday.
see u all soon :banana: :banana:

steveT5
Thursday 14th April 2005, 16:38
Is this meet on the 30th still going ahead ?

spesh
Thursday 14th April 2005, 16:46
I'll be there for definate!!!!!!!!!

steveT5
Thursday 14th April 2005, 16:52
Lovely stuff, went on the second mate, completely standard setup and did a 15.7.
Beaten by everybody i took on ! (volvo wise that is).
Anyway, done a few inexpensive mods so i am interested to see the difference if any !
So weather permitting i will show up.
See ya there !

Rufe
Friday 15th April 2005, 20:58
im going up for the weekend too.... i think :D

swordy21
Saturday 16th April 2005, 23:11
I'm going to be there as well - just itching to see what the bus will do now it has been RICA'd etc.

Looking forward to seeing you all there...........

mulletboy2
Saturday 16th April 2005, 23:29
I'll make it if I can afford the time off, but no promises. Same goes for Dave's party too :D Sadly, I think it's fairly unlikely :(

swordy21
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 15:51
Guys,

Are we still on for this one. I am keen to have a go now I am sorted. (Suspension, Tyres, Oil Leak, RICA, Etc etc). :eclipsee_

I'll be looking to get there about 10ish.

Cheers

spesh
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 19:26
I'm goin up friday evening, so i'll be there from first thing, my car will be next to my mater camper van, it has www.bangbus.com on the back so can't really miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

simonc
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 21:04
Was it busy last time u went to Avon park, just wondered what its like compared with the Pod where you have to do a lot of queing due to volumes of cars going down thw strip.

Simon.

Pedro Fandango
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 21:50
managed to get alot more runs in at Avon compared to the Pod (14 at Avon, 9 max last year at the Pod)

spesh
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 23:28
Right who is goin to AVON this weekend (Saturday)???????
list
1. Spesh

swordy21
Thursday 28th April 2005, 10:08
Right who is goin to AVON this weekend (Saturday)???????
list
1. Spesh
2. Swordy21

(I need a big flat area to change my rear pads - My driveway is on a slope and covered with gravel - so Avon is ideal) Oh - and I may have a go at the 1/4 as well.

spesh
Sunday 1st May 2005, 23:18
Had a great time in Avon yesterday, meet up with swordy, great bloke, finally got my car running good, got 2 13.5secs 1/4 miles out of her, upset some cossies lol, and i had a 2.1 sec 60ft which i've been told is really good!!!
so big smiles for me!!!!!!!!!!

Pedro Fandango
Sunday 1st May 2005, 23:29
excellent one, do you think there's any better times to get out of her? & was Avon very busy?

spesh
Sunday 1st May 2005, 23:38
no wasn't busy, got lots of runs in, yea she will be faster next time she goes on the track, always room for improvment!!!!!!!!!!! :)

siamblue
Monday 2nd May 2005, 00:59
13.5 that is crazy Spesh,well done mate,Bet you p'ed a lot of rice boys off too.

spesh
Monday 2nd May 2005, 17:19
13.5 that is crazy Spesh,well done mate,Bet you p'ed a lot of rice boys off too.

As i was a ford day there was only one rice boy there and he was pullin 9sec 1/4's @ 150mph, bloody skyline, lol

swordy21
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 13:02
I know it’s a couple of days late, but just thought I’d mention Sat at Avon.

Fantastic to meet up with Spesh and his mates. Thanks guys for your help in storing my spare wheel and tools and for the help with my brakes, loan of axel stands, jacks etc etc, and general camaraderie. I thoroughly enjoyed the day. You have some lunatic mates Spesh (rolling down nettley banks eh!)

The only time I managed to get anywhere near Spesh and Troy’s times is when they had problems, but most of the time the White Rocket was off in the distance, with a stunning 13.5 second ¼, and Troy put in a 13.7 against my 15.2.

The weather was fantastic, if a little hot for the Volvos, with mine suffering from breathing difficulties early on, until we worked out there was a silly restrictive piece of plastic in the way of airfeed, mounting it to the front of the radiator cover. That removed and horns off and in the tool box, shaved on average 0.2 secs off my times. I might start thinking about other breathing related things now.

After about 4pm the track really did clear and with the airtemp cooling, times came down even further with my last run at 4.39pm a 15:00 dead. Quite happy with the day, and overall times were pretty consistent, even splits etc. I will post a link to a spreadsheet when I get chance to type them all in.

One learning that became very obvious is my automatic is a lot slower off the line than manuals, ( I was not power braking to save my box), but then when the torque converter locks in, it does give a very credible performance. My favourite run, but not the fastest, was crossing the line neck and neck with a BMW M3 manual, he only beating me by 0.03 secs, and later in the day I put in times 0.2 secs faster than him.

Also managed to show some chavved sierra cosworths a clean pair of heels on several occasions. One wouldn't race me any more.

One spectator even made the effort to come and talk to us, saying how refreshing it was to see the sort of performance you can get out of a Volvo estate.

Looking forward to the next meet – whenever that will be, but Mrs Swordy has told me I have to get the garden finished before I can go again –

Anyone got a spade and a spare Saturday???????????????

P.S. Sounds like you had a Great day at Stretton, and not just a little excitement.

swordy21
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 22:26
Well here we are. The consolodated Sword times at Avon on saturday.

(Graphs and all) :wtf: (How sad am I?)

Clicky Here (http://www.swordyt5.com/includes/april30thruntimes.xls)

Love to all :remybussi

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 00:06
I think that's fab. You can have a new job if you like?

siamblue
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 00:38
Well done Swordy soundss like you had a brilliant day out.

swordy21
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 09:19
I think that's fab. You can have a new job if you like?
Doing what? I'm not making the coffee and arranging conferences as well as sitting on the bosses lap!!!!!! :remybussi