PDA

View Full Version : Metallic sounding brake noise...

Azza
Monday 31st July 2006, 12:07
Hi all.

Firstly, i don't drive my car all that much at the moment, probably once during the week, then a couple of times at weekends.

When i start up the car and drive off, and consequently keep driving, i can hear a kind of metallic grating (although a very light grating) sound coming from my wheel area. Not really sure how to describe the sound as such, but i'm wondering if it's jsut the fact i don't drive the car that much, and it's getting rid of dust / surface rust off the discs, as the noise does tend to disappear after a while of driving...

I've not noticed any particular lack of braking performance, although i've never really thought that my brakes were that good to begin with (they're totally standard and are the first thing i'm going to upgrade in some way)..

Is my prognosis correct ? Is there anything i should look for to be sure ?

Thanks,

Azza

thunderace
Monday 31st July 2006, 12:25
probably is the light build up of surface rust that you get on the discs, don't usually notice anything with regular use. but if car is laid up for a while, or even a couple of days in glorious britain, this will be evident. have a look at the disc just before you next jump in.
this is normal by the way :)

BigShrek
Monday 31st July 2006, 12:25
I got the same sound too. Think some new pads might be on the cards for me.

Azza
Monday 31st July 2006, 13:03
Yeah, i sometimes notice there's a thin layer of rusty-coloured substance (probably also known as rust!) on the discs. Good to know that i'm not the only one though.

I'm definitely thinking about a Ferodo upgrade, i just don't really like the breaking performance as they are at the moment..

Azza

BigShrek
Monday 31st July 2006, 16:53
aye, seem to be the only one's really worth going for. Asked one of the mechs at the dealer he said Ferodo are best bet...

Azza
Monday 31st July 2006, 16:56
Bit worried about the reports of a hell of a lot more noise with these types of brakes though, lots of squeal etc....?

Azza

arbee
Monday 31st July 2006, 19:14
maybe the calipers are sticking a wee bit?

Redbrick
Monday 31st July 2006, 20:08
Bit worried about the reports of a hell of a lot more noise with these types of brakes though, lots of squeal etc....?

Azza

Well I've run DS2500 on my AP kit and on my Passat 1.8T and I've never noticed any noise, no squeel or hum. My mates GTI6 running EBC turbo groove discs and red stuff pads, crikey was that noisy!!! Sounded like a helicopter.

arfur
Tuesday 1st August 2006, 13:19
I put DS2500's on my C70 T5 ... Front and rear. Also upgraded the brake lines and fluid .. Made a huge difference, and no brake squeal at all ... Works a treat combined with the lowered suspension and strut brace ....