PDA

View Full Version : Anyone near Cleethorpes?

Matt30462
Sunday 30th July 2006, 13:06
As in title, I could use someone nearby, to pay a visit to Thorpe Park, Cleethorpes. (Haven Holidays). If someone could run an eye over the park facilities with a view to having the National here.
I would need to give some info to anyone that can help out, so please email me if you can do this for us.

matthew.hosking@btinternet.com

Justin
Sunday 30th July 2006, 20:00
Argh, passed it today but have just read this and im now back in Brum :(

arbee
Sunday 30th July 2006, 21:09
hows the searching going Matt? Any wild and exciting developments?

Matt30462
Sunday 30th July 2006, 21:14
This is the current favourite for location and date etc. Just got to see about prices. Anyway here's a copy of my email to them and the reply.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Hosking [mailto:matthew.hosking@btinternet.com]
Sent: 28 July 2006 18:56
To: Cussins, Jon - Thorpe Park - HSM
Subject: Volvo Car Club

Hello Jon,
Thanks for your reply reference our potential meet up at Thorpe Park in September 2007.
I will not beat around the bush but come straight to the point. I am after accomodation for our members who wish to attend this meet. Figures at this time are sketchy, however I would expect at least 100 people, double or even treble that is not inconceivable. To this end I require an extremely good deal on the price of accomodation wherever we go. The date is at this time open, although we do not wish to be huddled together, sheltering from the wind and rain, therefore the weekend of September 28th is looking attractive. Many of our members will be coming as family units, others as singles. I assume many of the singles will be happy to co-habit in an attempt to cut costs although some of course may require single accomodation ( surcharges can be discussed). There will be some requirement for camping pitches.
The idea is to have the park available to members from the Friday night onward, for those that wish but the majority would probably come on the Saturday. The Saturday would involve members cars being parked up enmass, for the photo's and tyre kicking opportunities, there will be no racing around, we are mostly 30+ family folks and not boy-racers. That said, if it is allowable, it would be nice to have an area set aside for some gentle activities, a towing challenge, possibly a few auto jumble stalls etc, although if deemed offensive by the park, these would not go ahead. As we would be staying for at least one full night, there would be many, many people taking advantage of the bars and restaurants and as there will be children around, your amusements would probably see some action too. Some members will not wish to take the opportunity of staying overnight but would wish to attend on the day, ideally for both yourselves and our members, access to your facilities on a day basis would be a good option.
We will of course have a cut off date for those wishing to stay to have their names in place, however on these things there are always stragglers and newcomers who would like to come. We will endeavour to cause as little disruption to both your park and administration but would request if possible the option to increase numbers at short notice if necessary. Everything is dependant upon a good package being offered by the accomodation provider, if a suitable package is tendered, I am sure we would see the numbers going up as everyone would have confirmed details rather than the guessed options I am offering at the moment.
That is about it, other than to say, I sincerely hope you can offer us what we are looking for at the price we want. If so, your location would be ideal for our needs, as we draw members from everywhere in the UK and you are very central for our needs.
If everything works out, we will be booking for the VPCUK National Meet-Up 2 on the day we leave.

Many thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Matthew,

The accommodation shouldnt be a problem but we have no-where really for you all to park up together.

Just outside the main gate there is a large council car park that should be relatively empty. there must be at least 400 spaces all on one level about 1/4 mile long.

If this is still of any interest then i will come back to you with an accommodation price, i would suggest if you have any members in the area they come down and see if the car park is suitable.

Jon

arbee
Sunday 30th July 2006, 21:31
Sounds good Matt - like your towing comp idea, nice and original and not too disruptive :) I really hope this happens!

Matt30462
Sunday 30th July 2006, 21:37
I really hope this happens!

So do I arbee. However I am a little disappointed with the take up so far. I could really use a hundred or more cars to give us some weight in negotiations. I'm sure they'll come eventually but the earlier the better for showing we are serious.

To that end, anyone reading this who hasn't put their names down but fancies it. Use the link below my sig to access the thread.

Cueball_MOB
Monday 31st July 2006, 20:03
Matt,

I've got to go to Goole, Grimsby and Hull this week (Wed/Thurs) with work and will probably be able to factor in a detour to the venue. Might as well do it on their expenses :).

Have you got some more details of where it is and what you want me to check out? A contact name or a call from you to them to say I'm coming might be an idea too.

Anything else you need to make this a HUGE success - just let me know mate!

Cheers

Cue

Cueball_MOB
Monday 31st July 2006, 20:06
I've just found this while looking for directions - don't know if this needs moving to the National Meet thread

http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/lincolnshire/thorpepark.htm

and this....

http://www.havenholidays.com/Parks/YorkshireLincolnshire/thorpepark/

Looks good - and Cleethorpes got marvellous fish&chips!

Cheers

Cue

Matt30462
Monday 31st July 2006, 20:22
I've just found this while looking for directions - don't know if this needs moving to the National Meet thread

http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/lincolnshire/thorpepark.htm

and this....

http://www.havenholidays.com/Parks/YorkshireLincolnshire/thorpepark/

Looks good - and Cleethorpes got marvellous fish&chips!

Cheers

Cue

Can't speak for the fish 'n' chips but the venue is still up in the air, until we get the price we want.

Matt30462
Monday 31st July 2006, 20:43
Thanks for the help Cue. Much appreciated. Now your next job is to keep nagging anyone you know who is not on the list yet. I keep trying to get numbers up but everyone is fed up of me already. By the way, anyone reading this, the meet IS open to non Volvo types too. Who knows, we may convert a Rover Owner or two...........hell, that can't be difficult.

Cueball_MOB
Monday 31st July 2006, 20:52
Hey! - I used to drive a Rover! But now I've seen the light :cop: (sorry, couldn't resist the ex-plod pun).

No problem Matt, I've got your email and will head up the scouting party.

C'MON GUYS - pull yer fingers out and support the NATIONAL MEET!

Cheers

Cue

Matt30462
Monday 31st July 2006, 20:56
C'MON GUYS - pull yer fingers out and support the NATIONAL MEET!

Cheers

Cue

Oooooohhhhh! He's sooooo BUTCH:kiss: :kiss:

Cueball_MOB
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:00
Oooooohhhhh! He's sooooo BUTCH:kiss: :kiss:

Just doing what you asked - LOL!

Does 'Butch' refer to the name of the dog on my sig?

Cheers

Cue

Matt30462
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:01
Surely not another T & J fan?

Cueball_MOB
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:02
Surely not another T & J fan?

Explain please????

Cheers

Cue

Matt30462
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:05
Butch is the dog in Tom & Jerry. I got the kids a box set of them years ago and wet myself laughing. I sooo want that mouse to "cop it"

Cueball_MOB
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:08
LMAO - I thought I'd made a massive faux pas in relation to the Volvo community. I had a few clammy moments there thinking that the Volvo bulldog represented some dodgy mod company.

I found the image on Google and as it epitomizes the British spirit and was black and white like my car it should go in my sig.

You got me there mate!

Cheers

Cue