PDA

View Full Version : 2 Problems - can't find cause/solution

whin25
Saturday 29th July 2006, 16:28
Problem 1

From the day I picked the S60 up i'd noticed a fast clicky noise when I pulled away in first and when I changed gear. I have no idea what the cause is and the garage I bought it from are closed for holidays (small garage) and wont be available til Mid-August.

The clicking doesnt seem serious but I'm slightly worried as I will be going to crail raceway tommorrow and don't want my car breaking down on me :(

Problem 2

I painted my break calipers yesterday and since then I have noticed another noise but it's more of a rattle/creaky sort of noise coming from the rear (drivers side i think) The rattle gets faster as the wheels turn faster so i'm slightly more worried about this one. I can also hear a quieter noise coming from rear-driver side wheel when the car is stationery but engine is running.

Does anyone have any experience with these problems or can re-assure me it will be ok? It will be MOT'd in Mid-August so I'd rather avoid going to a garage just now, if possible.

Thank you.

aeroresh
Saturday 29th July 2006, 17:48
Drive shaft clicking is quite common on S60s and happens after only a bit of wear. Only fix is new driveshafts/cv joints but most of us live with the noise. However, if the car has a warranty of any discription Id flag it up.

Ive driven mine with clicking drive shafts for 20k miles now and they havent given up and thats with a 19T turbo fitted!

As for your second problem its likely to be some bush/resonance issue I think. Since the car is front drive and you hear a noise from the rear when stationary Id maybe look at exhaust mounts as a starter.

Hope this helps.:)

Redbrick
Saturday 26th August 2006, 23:56
I've got this sound, high pitch ticky sound when pulling away and braking!

Reading this there is no need to panic then?

Read somewhere about loctite...?

Is it something to live with or something that needs sorting whilst its still under warranty?

stuAWD
Tuesday 29th August 2006, 19:56
In the words of my mechanic,"let it develop".
I'm sure there was a recent thread relating to the clicking from the front wheels, it seems its just the pads moving back and forwards in the calipers.

nealer
Thursday 31st August 2006, 13:13
My S60’s clicking noise was the driveshaft ... all glued and sorted now..

Symptoms: Metallic clicking noise when starting off; changing gear; when coasting then accelerating; and when reversing.

Volvo fixed it for me - wasn't covered under warranty. I was told that it wasn’t something that would break – the noise might worsen with time.

uzyg
Thursday 9th April 2009, 13:21
Could I ask how much this drive shaft problem will cost to fix??

Davew
Thursday 9th April 2009, 13:27
Probably about half a crown looking at the age of this thread lol.

gazbak1
Thursday 9th April 2009, 14:09
the loctight of the drive shaft splines is a old fix! as the loctight breaks down after a few months.

The new fix for this is to fit drive shaft bolts from a xc90 that has a rubber shoulder. i know this as i used to work in a volvo dealer had had the same problem on my car.

i have been running my s60 for over a year now with these bolts with no problem/noise at all.

HTH

gazbak1

Redbrick
Thursday 9th April 2009, 17:44
Blast from the past!!! lol

Yes the XC90 bolts with a conical rubber collar do the job, expensive bolts though at (IIRC) £9 a side!!

thebadger
Thursday 9th April 2009, 23:06
There was talk of the ABS system pump causing a grinding noise with low gears... related?

The creaky rattle could be a droplink, if you had the wheels off... popped a joint?

Find out which side it's on & take that wheel off again. Could be an easy issue to sort!