PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Gremlins!

spongebob
Saturday 29th July 2006, 12:31
Hi all ! Bought an 850 2.0 GLT 20V 93 K reg recently and its a nice car (my first Volvo) - mechanically and bodily very good - but i am struggling with a few electrical gremlins and i wondered if any of you friendly 850 'Gurus' out there could help.Firstly the central locking would only work from the passenger door but i have now sorted that one out (there was a break in the wire in the drivers door) - secondly the electric windows (4) only operate (with ignition on of course) when the central locking is 'locked'. Now to me with my very limited knowledge of auto electrics it seems like maybe there is either a bad earth or there's a relay somewhere with maybe two wires on the wrong connectors or something i don't know (that's why i'm here!) - i do have the 'Haynes' workshop manual but don't really understand the wiring diagrams as it shows 'earths' and 'relays' but it doesn't tell you where abouts on/in the vehicle they are located.

Another little 'quirky' going on is that even if the radio is switched off , when you turn the ignition key all the way off and/or remove the key the aerial then goes all the way up before it 'retracts' ?!

Also the interior lights don't work - nor does the windscreen washers - Bad earth? I have checked all the fuses which are ok and i removed the earth terminals near the battery and gave them a damn good cleaning which didn't seem to do anything - the sidelights/headlights also appear to be a little dim.
It has a brand new battery too.

So you see i have a few problems there but are probably something and nothing (to someone who understands car electrical systems) - i am just at a loss and could do with some help . I can't afford to take the car into a garage as it would probably cost me more than i paid for the car to get it put right - you all know what garages are like - they can charge what they like especially if they get a hint that you don't know what's wrong with the car yourself.

Anyway i digress - Can anybody out there help me please?

Thankyou for taking the time to read this. Cheers. 'Spongebob'.