PDA

View Full Version : Oil on the drive

Martinr
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 11:39
Hi All

Had to attend a wedding outside of Bristol yesterday. Great trip there and back but when I came to move the car late last night I noticed oil on the drive. Up till now she has been completely oil tight.

Took a look underneath her this morning and source seems to be at rear of engine passenger side, (not far from where the engine steady is).

Could this be the dreaded crankshaft oil seal?

If so what is involved in fixing it, (i.e. is this an engine out mega bucks job) and is the car safe to drive. The oil on the stick shows no appreciable decrease.

I have a works appointment Tues/Wed in Lancashire. I don't fancy the trip in the wifes Golf unless I must. :snail:

dannt5
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 20:50
Hi,This could be the return pipe from the turbo to the back of the engine block leaking,a common problem & not that bad or expensive to fix.If you look at the rear of the engine from underneath just above where the sump bolts on you'll see a pipe leading upto the turbo,could be the seal in the engine end.If not look at the gearbox/sump joint at the bottom & you'll see like a hole where they join,if oil is coming out of there it looks like the crank seal may be buggered.Doesnt seem to be a cure for this other than taking out gearbox to fix,(while its out you might as well put a clutch in)big job! hope this helps.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 23:54
My best suggestion - based on your location - is to whip the car up to VT in Bromsgrove and let Hamish have a quick shufty. If it is the seal then he'll tell you straight away.

Martinr
Monday 4th April 2005, 07:49
Thanks guys.

Lying under the car I couldn't see up far enough to tell if the the leak is from the turbo return pipe.

Car has an Auto box so the clutch isn't an issue but I don't seem to have the 'hole' referred to possibly as a consequence of being auto.

Oil is certainly present along what I presume is the joint between box and engine but after a high speed dash up the M5 it's also in a lot of other places. :)

I think I will try to get away early from work and follow Dave's suggestion.

If I was only tooling about locally I wouldn't be as concerned but I really don't want or need an expensive failure on the M6 to add to my woes.

On a brighter note the fuel filler flap seems to have resumed operation with the central locking! It was on my list of things to fix.

On reflection I wish the oil leak hadn't happened and the flap still didn't lock but beggars can't be choosers.

Bracer
Monday 4th April 2005, 10:07
Start with the simple things first.

Have you checked the oil filler cap gasket ? When they leak oil runs down the right side of the block and down the rear too.

Other than that check the oil return pipe and last the crank oil seal.

Goof
Monday 4th April 2005, 14:18
Start with the simple things first.

Have you checked the oil filler cap gasket ? When they leak oil runs down the right side of the block and down the rear too.

Other than that check the oil return pipe and last the crank oil seal.
As Bracer points out - I replaced my oil filler seal, and it's cured my oil prob. Now the seal stays dry - no trace of oil on outer edges. Worth doing - Volvo costs - £1.50 ish (oil is a lot dearer!).
1 min job (even for me!). :rolleyes2

Martinr
Monday 4th April 2005, 14:46
Sorry for the delay in responding but I am at work :)

My oil filler cap was replaced in December as I had a problem with it when I bought the car.

Sadly this cheapest point has therefore been eliminated from our enquiries.

Bracer
Monday 4th April 2005, 14:50
Sorry for the delay in responding but I am at work :)

My oil filler cap was replaced in December as I had a problem with it when I bought the car.

Sadly this cheapest point has therefore been eliminated from our enquiries.

Check stage 2 and if its not that then its the bigeeeeee, sorry.

Martinr
Monday 4th April 2005, 20:55
Followed Dave's suggestion and popped into VT this evening.

Didn't arrive till late but they were very helpful. Leak was the seals on the oil return pipe for the turbo, Also spotted I had a broken top engine mounting. Fixed both whilst I waited.

Thanks for restoring peace of mind:)

rich850t5
Monday 4th April 2005, 21:08
Followed Dave's suggestion and popped into VT this evening.

Didn't arrive till late but they were very helpful. Leak was the seals on the oil return pipe for the turbo, Also spotted I had a broken top engine mounting. Fixed both whilst I waited.

Thanks for restoring peace of mind:)Just out of interest how much did it cost to have done i am hoping that my leak is also the turbo feed pipe but alas i fear the worst THANKS :B_thumb:

Bracer
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 09:42
Glad its sorted, now get and clean your drive :bullwhip:

Martinr
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 13:00
Shouted too soon :(

Up in Preston at the moment. When I moved the car there was oil under it. I thought it might be resudue but on checking the level I had to top the engine up.

VT did say it might be the driveshaft oil seal even though the return pipes were showing signs of leaking. It is hard to say as the area was oily to say the least.

I am back home tonight and I will re-check it.

Looks like another trip to sunny Bromsgrove :)

Bracer
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 13:04
Shouted too soon :(

Up in Preston at the moment. When I moved the car there was oil under it. I thought it might be resudue but on checking the level I had to top the engine up.

VT did say it might be the driveshaft oil seal even though the return pipes were showing signs of leaking. It is hard to say as the area was oily to say the least.

I am back home tonight and I will re-check it.

Looks like another trip to sunny Bromsgrove :)

If its a drive shaft oil seal then it wouldn't effect the engine oil level :doh:

Martinr
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:04
Right Bracer didn't engage brain before writing:)

Back at VT Friday. Leak is worse and is now obviously the crankshaft oil seal. Booked in for Tuesday, (12th).

Taking the opportunity to have the driveshaft oil seal changed at the same time.

Hopefully will be the end of the problem.

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:13
Right Bracer didn't engage brain before writing:)

Back at VT Friday. Leak is worse and is now obviously the crankshaft oil seal. Booked in for Tuesday, (12th).

Taking the opportunity to have the driveshaft oil seal changed at the same time.

Hopefully will be the end of the problem.

Just glad the source has been found, sorry its the biggie :worried: