PDA

View Full Version : Electric seat trouble.

welshboy
Thursday 27th July 2006, 18:26
Has anyone else this issue with the front drivers seat.

It only happened today.

My drivers seat stopped working. On inspection. I noticed that a small spring clip had fallen off the bottom near side underneath of seat. Looks like it works the lift handle to pull the seat forward. As it has fallen of, all the electrics to the seat dont work. Looks like this spring attaches to something. when i looked into where the spring goes and pressed something in. I could work the seat.

Where the spring is suppose to go looks a bugger of the job.

Anyone else had this happen to them, and if so was it easy to re-fit the spring.

tony

Adge
Wednesday 6th September 2006, 17:57
My driver's seat has stuck in the forward position. Seems dead. Advice please!!!

Has anyone else this issue with the front drivers seat.

It only happened today.

My drivers seat stopped working. On inspection. I noticed that a small spring clip had fallen off the bottom near side underneath of seat. Looks like it works the lift handle to pull the seat forward. As it has fallen of, all the electrics to the seat dont work. Looks like this spring attaches to something. when i looked into where the spring goes and pressed something in. I could work the seat.

Where the spring is suppose to go looks a bugger of the job.

Anyone else had this happen to them, and if so was it easy to re-fit the spring.

tony

welshboy
Wednesday 6th September 2006, 19:37
Fixed mine.

Dont know if yours is the same. But the little spring clip came off. The one which sits just underneath the right hand side of the bottom of the chair.

It was a bugger of a job. I had to take the drivers seat out. Not a big job. Only 4 bolts and undo the connectors for the electric seat. Also you need to take out the 2 side botls to lossen the back half the seat to gain access to the spring.

On inspection. I noticed that it looks like the spring operates the side pull arm on the chair to make it go forward. With out this working. I think the chair thinks its in the forward position, so it cuts the electrics to it.

Mine was worse. As i notice, where the spring clip is secured to, had snapped. So i had to use a self-tapper screw to form a small lip for the spring to attach to again. After that. All was ok.

Hope the other side doesn't go.

tony

Adge
Wednesday 6th September 2006, 20:04
Many thanks Welshboy! AA found the loose spring!!!
Off to Volvo dealer tomorrow to see what they say. New seat rather than a self-tapper!!???
At least the AA chap showed me the cam, and by holding it forward manually I can set the seat where I want it. Works normally if I hold cam forward.
Very grateful for your help!!

Fixed mine.

Dont know if yours is the same. But the little spring clip came off. The one which sits just underneath the right hand side of the bottom of the chair.

It was a bugger of a job. I had to take the drivers seat out. Not a big job. Only 4 bolts and undo the connectors for the electric seat. Also you need to take out the 2 side botls to lossen the back half the seat to gain access to the spring.

On inspection. I noticed that it looks like the spring operates the side pull arm on the chair to make it go forward. With out this working. I think the chair thinks its in the forward position, so it cuts the electrics to it.

Mine was worse. As i notice, where the spring clip is secured to, had snapped. So i had to use a self-tapper screw to form a small lip for the spring to attach to again. After that. All was ok.

Hope the other side doesn't go.

tony

Adge
Wednesday 6th September 2006, 20:10
This seems quite common, on AA computer system, any other tips/experiences?

welshboy
Wednesday 6th September 2006, 21:25
The spring is only attached to a small plastic bit. It also only has a little lip which holds the spring on. Thats why its a common fault, as its snaps off.

If volvo do it. You are talking alot of money, as it took me about 2-3 hrs to do it. If they replace the plastics section. The whole seat needs dismantling. NOT GOOD.

A self tapper worked me. Its not like its on show. You can spend the money on other things.

tony

Astro
Tuesday 19th September 2006, 14:58
Hi,

I have the same problem, have you got a Picture of this spring and its place on the seat ? I can't see it.

In fact i've got some problem to translate exactly in French the explanation.
Thanx.

banjostu
Thursday 21st September 2006, 17:43
i too have this problem so any pics would be great i cant seem to find the clip or any loose springs rolling about the car. Looks like this could save me quite a few bob cheers guys

welshboy
Saturday 23rd September 2006, 19:26
HI.

Sorry no pics. The only way find the clip and spring, is to take the seat out. You need to look underneath. Thats the only way. Its only a 10 min job. If the spring as only fallen off. You should be able to place it back on. As mine snapped. I have the take the top and bottom half of the seat apart.

tony

The Saint
Sunday 24th September 2006, 17:57
Would you believe exactly the same thing happened to me this morning!! Having looked at this thread (just before I was about to post my one) I managed to retrieve both the spring and the little platic bit that's broken off. I don't have time tonight to take the seat out, but at least I can move it backwards and forwards!!

What an excellent forum this is for advice (or what bad cars we bought as the problems seem to happen at the same time ;))

Astro
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 08:39
Hi everyone,

I found the F..... Sensor.
there are multiple sensor in the seat.
The first that blocked my seat is on the left (for me BE car), for you on the right.

On the axe of the back of the seat(C70), you will find a sensor.

Sit on the rear seat you will see it better.

I put a pic this evening.

Norman.

banjostu
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 14:46
i took my seat completly out and still no sign of any loose springs or clips i did spot a clip at the back right hand side of the seat that had a spring attached to it but this was fully functional and my seat still didnt respond does this mean i am looking at a new seat ? or am i still looking in the wrong place ? any help please

banjostu
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 14:57
hooray !!!!!!!!!! i found it i sat in the back like astro suggested and spotted a spring hanging down cant quite see where it attaches though i have looked at the opposite side and it disappears into the abyss how do i access this??

garyk
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 17:02
any photos guys? I got a problem with my seat too on my newly acquired C70, I wanted electric seats and now Im thinking why the hell did I? :)

Astro
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 14:27
http://www.desiko.com/images/volvo/sensor.jpg

Here is a picture of my seat.
My car is a Belgian car, then yours will be on the other side.

Astro

Adge
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 14:56
Haven't repaired mine yet but are you aware that you can still adjust the seat with the buttons even without the spring. The lever that the spring is/was attached to can be held in the forward position to make contact with the sensor and then it all works normally!! Need to be a bit flexible in the joints, ie bending down, holding lever with one hand and press buttons with the other. At least then it is not stuck in what could be an awkward or unusable position!

Astro
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 15:10
Yes, i just need to push this sensor On and the seat runs Well