PDA

View Full Version : Latest pics - ICE

mulletboy2
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:12
Some of you know that I was running around like a headless chicken for the last couple of weeks, particularly thursday and friday last week, trying to get Nookie's ICE system working... well, thanks to Harry Bo (the guy with me at Wobbly's KTT BBQ last year), we finally got sound out of the old girl at 10pm on Friday night, ready for the ICE meet on Saturday.

She's sounding pretty good already, but now that I have sound, the real "tweaking and tuning" can begin :)

Without further ado, I give you... a boot:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/3151/medium/DSCF0365.JPG

Some A-Pillars:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/3155/medium/DSCF0366.JPG

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/3155/medium/DSCF0367.JPG

The a-pillars are just a temporary thing until the mad twin-build doorcards are finished off, and even they may not end up being permanent.. but at least now I have everything in the car so that I can start doing it properly. The wireless network is up and running ready for tuning.. I'm still waiting on a power supply and badge for the final amp before sending off to the States to get it built... oh, and there's lots of trimming/re-working of sub install to do ... but, the main thing is, she sounds pretty good already, and can only get better :D

Cheers

Mark

Andrew
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:16
Jesus - I bet that lot aint cheap!

fraz13
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:19
Looking good Mark, I look foward to loads more pics ;)

mulletboy2
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:24
Jesus - I bet that lot aint cheap!
*fingers in ears* "La La La La La" :lol:

Fraz - was that a hint that I'm posting too many mate? :lol: Nah, I'm chuffed to bits that it's all in and working, and now I can get on to some of the more fun bits and pieces. I reckon there's still another 12-24 months in playing with different ideas and tuning options, so by no means have the pics finished coming yet :D

Murphy
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:26
Christ, i bet that is loud !

Vikingxl
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:29
Nuce one mate i will pop over for a demo when i get chance!

fraz13
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:31
Not at all man get more up, its well interesting :D

mulletboy2
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:38
Viking - cool mate, just give us a shout beforehand incase I decide to rip anything out and change it at the wrong time :)

Murphy - it is pretty loud, yeah, although that isn't the intention. It sounds louder than normal outside the car because of the big hole directly beneath the subs.

Fraz - I'll be updating my threads at IceCavern soon with lots more pics.. will post up a linky when done mate :)

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:53
Looks spot on mate,keep up the good work,look foward to hearing it very soon

abdul
Monday 24th July 2006, 17:46
looking nice

mulletboy2
Monday 24th July 2006, 17:50
Thanks guys :) I'll have to check when the next meet is and get myself along.. will be interesting to see what you all think - whether not particularly ICE people can notice an improvement over standard, or whether I've completely wasted my time as far as you're concerned ;) what you'd change, etc... :)

abdul
Monday 24th July 2006, 17:55
cant wait to see the end product did u get the alarm

mulletboy2
Monday 24th July 2006, 18:01
Yes mate, she's all alarmed up :)

abdul
Monday 24th July 2006, 18:06
did u go for the full works with the alarm that tells u someone is messing with the car

abdul
Monday 24th July 2006, 18:07
what was the total cost

mulletboy2
Monday 24th July 2006, 18:09
I'm going to be doing more on that front than an alarm and paging system ever will, with no subscription charges.. the beauty of GPS, OBDII, PC's and telephone software control :D

abdul
Monday 24th July 2006, 18:11
hope to meet u soon to see everything done and to be done

BlackBeast
Monday 24th July 2006, 18:51
Its great to see a plan come together like this one.

Justin
Monday 24th July 2006, 19:45
Wow, what a job Mark :)

arbee
Monday 24th July 2006, 20:13
t'riffic stuff! those A pillars are pretty cool - is that a 4" mid in there? do you have any temp mid bass in the doors/kicks?

t5tart
Monday 24th July 2006, 20:24
reminds me of the days i used to work for alpine
and did their demo cars haha
awesom bits of kit

mulletboy2
Monday 24th July 2006, 20:44
Cheers guys :)

t5tart - what did you do on/for them? Any cars I might know of?

Arbee - yeah, they're 3.7" outer diameter, but called a 3" driver. No midbasses yet, I'm waiting on the first production run. I was just running 1 - 3 -> 10's.. it isn't as lacking in midbass as you'd expect, although there was a noticable gap. I've played with the crossovers a bit since, and now there's no audible gap, and the sub never really images behind the driver (although it doesn't always stay on the dash).

arbee
Monday 24th July 2006, 21:30

Arbee - yeah, they're 3.7" outer diameter, but called a 3" driver. No midbasses yet, I'm waiting on the first production run. I was just running 1 - 3 -> 10's.. it isn't as lacking in midbass as you'd expect, although there was a noticable gap. I've played with the crossovers a bit since, and now there's no audible gap, and the sub never really images behind the driver (although it doesn't always stay on the dash).

thats really impressive, cant wait to have a listen - Trax if not before if you're gonna be there :) full door builds by then?

Are you happy with the sub 'box' set up?

mulletboy2
Monday 24th July 2006, 21:43
I'll be at Trax mate :) Doubt I'll have the full door builds by then - there's at least 3 weeks of fabrication left in them, if I do weekends and week nights, but that's not going to happen due to other commitments. I doubt the midbasses will be here by then either, so I'll be running something along similar lines to what I have now, albeit better setup.

The subs are sounding fantastic tbh ... I can't believe how good they sound considering I know of atleast one way I should be able to seriously improve their installation :) Might have this sorted out for Trax.

t5tart
Monday 24th July 2006, 21:48

t5tart - what did you do on/for them? Any cars I might know of?

i doubt you will know them unless you were into it in the late 80's
worked on their demo cars
put 5k system ino a cavalier hatch and blew the windows out lol
and worked on their bently continental s1 also

worked for them at blakelands

Wobbly Dave
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:12
We have to get together mark. She needs some paint work doing for sure. I can make her like new!

mulletboy2
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:22
t5tart - ah, fair enough, not heard of those 2... I do know some of the world's top cars from back then, but not all by any means :)

Dave - that we do mate! :) I'm busy all weekend this weekend, but perhaps in a couple of weeks? I'll check out competition dates and see how the install progresses, and hopefully we can work out something, as she's in desperate need of some TLC.

T5SLAVE
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:24
Well done on the ICE install m8, lovin where ur goin with all that, now more importantly..........WHY THE HELL AINT U DOWN 4 TRAX!!! The VPCUK stand needs that sorta ICE roodery on display:rotfl:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:26
We'll have it sorted. I have been spending on new product like you wont believe.

arbee
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:27
now more importantly..........WHY THE HELL AINT U DOWN 4 TRAX!!! The VPCUK stand needs that sorta ICE roodery on display:rotfl:

Down boy! lol I have already pestered the man and he has shunned us for a better offer.... ;)

Will certainly look you up on the day Mark :)

T5SLAVE
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:35
Down boy! lol I have already pestered the man and he has shunned us for a better offer.... ;)

Will certainly look you up on the day Mark :)

Sorry:sorry: :P

Shunned us 4 what n who, ohhh the cheek of it LOL! Even if I do have a Cos' by then I'm still wantin 2 come along with the Volvo crew 2show off all the hard work that's gone in2 my T5...then I'll deffo sell it, LOL!

mulletboy2
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:37
Dave - coolio mate. Spending on new product is always good - I should know :lol:

T5SLAVE - I have a long-standing arrangement with the owner of IceCavern.co.uk that when my install's up to showable standards but I'm not competing, I'll go on his stand for a couple of shows in return for a favour he did for me a while back. If I'm not competing at Trax, I'll be with the IceCavern peeps - I'll definitely come and find you guys though, or atleast call someone and let you know where to find me :)

T5SLAVE
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:43
Dave - coolio mate. Spending on new product is always good - I should know :lol:

T5SLAVE - I have a long-standing arrangement with the owner of IceCavern.co.uk that when my install's up to showable standards but I'm not competing, I'll go on his stand for a couple of shows in return for a favour he did for me a while back. If I'm not competing at Trax, I'll be with the IceCavern peeps - I'll definitely come and find you guys though, or atleast call someone and let you know where to find me :)

Cool cool m8...can't wait 2 see n hear that setup bangin out some ace choons...bit o Kylie anyone, I'm spinnin around...LOL:nutkick:

mulletboy2
Monday 7th August 2006, 11:52
Few more pics.. this weekend I added the PC in to the car, re-did the wireless router install so that I can get reception inside the car, and added a 4-way CD changer control and 2nd changer (changer stuff needs neatining up, and obviously there's a lot of trim panelling to make up for the entire boot...).

The PC controls the DSP, measures system response, will have optical output of DVD audio to the DSP, monitors temperature sensors, and will eventually control all manner of alarm and other functions.

I've still got to extend various LED's and switches up to the front of the car, and run the 4 temperature sensors to the amps/other suitable places.

Cheers

Mark

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/3157/medium/DSCF0374.JPG

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/3157/medium/labelled-PC.jpg

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/3157/medium/DSCF0375.JPG

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/3157/medium/DSCF0372.JPG

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/3158/medium/DSCF0373.JPG

arbee
Monday 7th August 2006, 18:36
omg! thats no mini 'carputer' is it! amazing stuff :) what kind of dsp programme is it then? is that a popular thing having a pc run something like that? i take it you will still be using just l+r stero channels or are you having rear/centre speakers and a sub 'channel' ? interesting stuff

mulletboy2
Monday 7th August 2006, 18:51
lol, no mate, it's no mini car pc :D I could have gone the mini route, but I've saved a fortune by scrounging PC's and parts from mates. I ended up with 2 PC's delivered for £50 IIRC.. that's a 1.6GHz Athlon XP, 512MB SDRAM, 40Gig HDD, 64MB NVidia graphics card (removed, but will be put back in temporarily so I can setup the bios) etc... and I've still got a complete PC to sell, lol. I've added a 120GB Seagate HDD for films/mp3's/etc.. plus a top end soundcard for the audio side of things, which I had sat here waiting for a use.

It's not a normal thing to have a PC control stuff, but there are a few DSP's out there which accept PC control, usually via serial connection.. the old Phoenix Gold TiDEQ (£1000 a piece at the time, but can now be picked up for around £200 each), Altomobile UCS Pro (£500ish, modern, pretty advanced features, but somewhat compromised component usage), and the Alpine F#1 stuff, which has been top of the range for the last 10 years or so..

Most people who own this kind of DSP don't tend to be PC freaks though (more like footballers/princes/etc...), so couldn't care less... they add them and get a shop to set them up. Of the remaining users, many will just connect a laptop for setting up. I could have gone down the same route too, but being a PC geek, I figured that there was a lot more that I could do... and when the RTA (real time analyser) card came up on ebay at a price I couldn't refuse, and it won't fit in to a laptop, I was really only left with one choice :D

I'm not going to be running 5.1, although obviously the PC supports it, and mine's one of few DSP's that does (DTS). I won't be running it for now, but I wouldn't want to limit my future options... this install has come too far now - I wouldn't want to have to rip it all out and start again just because I did something as trivial as adding 3 more channels of sound/doubling the number of amps :lol:

abdul
Monday 7th August 2006, 19:05
cant wait to see the finished products

Justin
Monday 7th August 2006, 21:27
Mark if you need anything PC related to add give me a shout, happy to donate where possible and i have a shop full of second hand bits :)

(BTW, i rang you last week to tell you that you had left 3 CD's in the changer) Give us a bell ;)

Engineer
Monday 7th August 2006, 22:09
Believing that all cars were built for driving and not for playing music very, very, very, loud, I will give you the BOD for your electronic effort provided the ALTERNATOR can still charge the battery lol. Only joking mate :wink: all credit to your efforts, a nice piece of kit. :)

mulletboy2
Monday 7th August 2006, 22:42
Thanks guys :)

Engineer - I'm probably being thick, but all I can come up with for BOD is:

Bag of doughnuts; bandwidth on demand and better off dead :lol:

The alternator's not having any problems yet - and if she does, she'll get binned and replaced by something more manly :D The battery's floating at 13.0V and 13.8-13.9 with the amps/etc... on :wow:

J - I don't remember getting a missed call/message from you mate, sorry about that. Will give you a bell tomorrow, thanks! Only things I can think of that I'm after using/upgrading are the following:

DB9 female - DB9 female (think it's the female end anyway - solid with holes, not open with spikes :p ) serial cable. Mine's falling apart, and it controls the brain of the system :lol:

Some method to have a DVD drive installed up in the glovebox (IDE obviously not being suitable over such a distance).. whether that's a USB DVD drive and cable, some kind of USB to IDE converter cable/connector, or anything else, I don't mind... just something I'd like to have for obvious reasons, and I'm not really clued up on what's available. I've got a lovely slot loading IDE drive I'd really *like* to use, but if it has to be changed, no worries.

Funky power/reset buttons and HDD/power LED's (I know it's a long shot, and I've pretty much settled on some from the States, but might as well ask)

PSU fan grille (you can spot the missing one in the pic)

Is it possible to split a wireless router's aerial, so I can have the existing one inside, and have another outside the car (was thinking up underneath where the boot handle goes), so I can get decent reception both inside and out (damn Mr Faraday and his cages)?

Lastly some kind of "shutdown controller".. not sure if you'll know about these, but they're used in in-car applications for preventing shut down when voltage dips (i.e when you turn your ignition from 0 or 1 to on, on to off, or plug another device in to an inverter, the voltage can dip to around 5V - a shutdown controller is a bunch of capacitors I presume, which supply the motherboard 12V for long enough for your main supply to come back online). I've already tried a UPS, but the UPS kept on clicking due to the unsmooth supply from the inverter.

Willing to pay fair prices on any of that if you've got it, and interested to hear any other ideas you might have, cheers mate :D

Mark

Justin
Monday 7th August 2006, 23:24
I can certainly help with some of that, look forward to the call :)

pikeajm
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 00:23
i have found with my d-link router that it resets the wirless every 30mins or so might want to swap it if the same happens to you

mulletboy2
Tuesday 8th August 2006, 07:27
Cool J - speak to you in a bit mate :)

pike - It's my 2nd DLink.. no problems with it at home or in-car yet. I find that any router I try needs an occasional manual reset at home.. maybe once a fortnight on average, but never noticed them resetting themselves. Longest I've had a connection in-car so far is just over an hour, but it'll be getting some heavier use soon :)

Cheers

Mark

spencem875
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 20:31
Thats the maddest ****ing install iv seen in a long time. I had a big system in my Renault but yours takes the biscuit.

thunderace
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 20:59
blown away.................wicked

mulletboy2
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 21:46
Thanks guys :) Hopefully it'll all be looking a bit nicer in a few months... it's a bit of a mess at the moment.

Babybadger
Thursday 10th August 2006, 10:21
Thanks guys :)

Engineer - I'm probably being thick, but all I can come up with for BOD is:

Bag of doughnuts; bandwidth on demand and better off dead :lol:

The alternator's not having any problems yet - and if she does, she'll get binned and replaced by something more manly :D The battery's floating at 13.0V and 13.8-13.9 with the amps/etc... on :wow:

J - I don't remember getting a missed call/message from you mate, sorry about that. Will give you a bell tomorrow, thanks! Only things I can think of that I'm after using/upgrading are the following:

DB9 female - DB9 female (think it's the female end anyway - solid with holes, not open with spikes :p ) serial cable. Mine's falling apart, and it controls the brain of the system :lol:

Some method to have a DVD drive installed up in the glovebox (IDE obviously not being suitable over such a distance).. whether that's a USB DVD drive and cable, some kind of USB to IDE converter cable/connector, or anything else, I don't mind... just something I'd like to have for obvious reasons, and I'm not really clued up on what's available. I've got a lovely slot loading IDE drive I'd really *like* to use, but if it has to be changed, no worries.

Funky power/reset buttons and HDD/power LED's (I know it's a long shot, and I've pretty much settled on some from the States, but might as well ask)

PSU fan grille (you can spot the missing one in the pic)

Is it possible to split a wireless router's aerial, so I can have the existing one inside, and have another outside the car (was thinking up underneath where the boot handle goes), so I can get decent reception both inside and out (damn Mr Faraday and his cages)?

Lastly some kind of "shutdown controller".. not sure if you'll know about these, but they're used in in-car applications for preventing shut down when voltage dips (i.e when you turn your ignition from 0 or 1 to on, on to off, or plug another device in to an inverter, the voltage can dip to around 5V - a shutdown controller is a bunch of capacitors I presume, which supply the motherboard 12V for long enough for your main supply to come back online). I've already tried a UPS, but the UPS kept on clicking due to the unsmooth supply from the inverter.

Willing to pay fair prices on any of that if you've got it, and interested to hear any other ideas you might have, cheers mate :D

Mark

Police spec alternator should do it, they used to run all the lights and stuff!

You can get a 5m and 10m USB lead....

Put a small 12v battery in the bottom of the PC as a backup battery, with a diode/slow blow fuse to take the current going in. That way the PC always gets a steady 12v ;-)

pzorb
Thursday 10th August 2006, 11:27
Hum well if you get a funky mini itx mobo you could cram the whole lot into the glovebox... or even the spare wheel! http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t12662-alloy-wheel-vs-pc-pictures-amp-link.html

mulletboy2
Thursday 10th August 2006, 13:08
pzorb - swapping motherboard, processor, RAM etc.. sounds a bit expensive just to get a DVD drive up front, especially as J's come up with a solution for about £20 :) I really don't care about using a motherboard that's 5cm square larger than a smaller one... the point was I paid next to nothing, and had enough space for the larger board.

Nothing will go in my spare wheel well, as there's 2 subs in there.

A lot of people seem to be making the assumption that I want to go the same route as everyone else who fits a car PC - personally, I think it's a waste of money.. a very big waste of money, buying smaller parts... especially given all of the reliability issues I've heard of with mini PC's

Babybadger - where would I get a police spec alternator from? :) I know you can get longer USB leads, which is why I was suggesting that as an alternative to the IDE leads ;)

Rechargeable 12V battery might be an option...

Cheers

Mark

t5tart
Friday 11th August 2006, 03:28
how about a small 12v motorcycle battery

could recharge it back off the alternator

mulletboy2
Friday 11th August 2006, 13:13
t5tart - yeah, that's an option, cheers :) Thinking about it, I want to try to steer clear of batteries in the boot, as it means building ventillation in to it (not because it's necessarily a necessity, but because of sound comp rules)... I'll keep it as a backup plan though, ta :D

Baj
Friday 11th August 2006, 15:30
I have one of these
http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=110_137&products_id=829
for the front dvd drive with a slim laptop dvd drive in. Lower power consumption and USB so can have a 5M cable.

The DSP stuff interests me greatly. I have not got round to installing my PC yet as I am waiting for the posty to deliver my spare dash centre console so I can fab in the 8.4" touchscreen. Am also planning on moving the HVAC controls to the ottom of the panel.

As for power I am using one of these
http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/574 160W which should do you (you can alwats add another) plus has intelligent circuitry which will shut down the PC properly when the battery gets too low or when you turn the ignition off (with a programmable delay).

Keep us posted

Al115
Friday 11th August 2006, 16:12
Looks great! Another car pc enthusiast, I am on my third...

Did you decide not to shield the PC for some reason? Obviously it's shielded from outside the car (by the car :) ) but from the inside?

Woosey
Sunday 13th August 2006, 08:27
mark - for twin ariel's i would buy a linksys WAP 54G, as they have twin aerials, so you can do as you please with both ;)

Ive got one i can "lend" you on a short term basis (i.e i wont have wireless while you have it :p) if you want to try the concept?

mulletboy2
Sunday 13th August 2006, 10:35
Woosey - thanks mate :) Will discuss by phone. I don't *need* the wireless outside the car at the moment... infact I'm having enough problems with getting it inside the car :lol: Lots of stuff to iron out before I'm worried about the external access. Cheers for the info :)

Al - sorry mate, missed your question. The entire boot build will be getting trim panels made up, including the PC... but tbh, the interior of my boot is less dusty than inside most houses, so I'm not overly fussed at the moment.

Baj - thanks for the links and info :) I think Justin's sorting me out with a caddy for my existing DVD drive, although I need to confirm with him (J - if you read this, it's a regular side drive, so I think your idea will work :D ). That power supply looks very interesting though - I'm going to take a proper read of the manual, and possibly put in an order later today.

What touchscreen did you go for? I'm off to the States in a month or so, so thinking of picking up a 7" Xenarc 5-wire screen... they're soooo expensive over here :(

Cheers guys

Mark

Justin
Sunday 13th August 2006, 11:04
Cryptic message recieved and understood sir :)

mulletboy2
Sunday 13th August 2006, 12:07
lol :lol: I meant "size", not "side" :D

Baj
Sunday 13th August 2006, 16:16
Baj - thanks for the links and info :) I think Justin's sorting me out with a caddy for my existing DVD drive, although I need to confirm with him (J - if you read this, it's a regular side drive, so I think your idea will work :D ). That power supply looks very interesting though - I'm going to take a proper read of the manual, and possibly put in an order later today.

What touchscreen did you go for? I'm off to the States in a month or so, so thinking of picking up a 7" Xenarc 5-wire screen... they're soooo expensive over here :(

Cheers guys

Mark

The M2 is good from what I hear. I have one but the PC isnt in a postion to use it yet. afaik you can piggyback them too to get more power if needed, and it has anti-thump for the amps.

I havent got a screen yet but I am looking at the 8.4" on the linitx site. Its is sub-£200 but will take up most of mydash :)

BlackBeast
Sunday 13th August 2006, 16:28
Are you going to go with standalone management? That would be awesome if you did. All the controls with a touchscreen upfront and you can map the car as your driving around :)

t5tart
Sunday 13th August 2006, 18:27
t5tart - yeah, that's an option, cheers :) Thinking about it, I want to try to steer clear of batteries in the boot, as it means building ventillation in to it (not because it's necessarily a necessity, but because of sound comp rules)... I'll keep it as a backup plan though, ta :D

gel type battery
so why not stick it under the bonnet will make wiring easier and there is plenty of room under there

you are only looking at a small draw as a fail safe so will only need a small battery bear in mind one with enuff power to crank over an 1100cc engine is about 6x4x3 inches or there abouts