PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Truck'd

Cueball_MOB
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 21:46
Hi All,

I know I should have heeded the warning the other day but I didn't and Green Flag had to bring me and the V70 back from Wigan tonight.

Folowing some intermittent 'No Oil Pressure' warnings I topped it up with a botlle of oil and had no other problems but had spoken to the dealers and had arranged to take it to Service Centre tomorrow for a check up (connect to computer) as it's still under warranty. My feeling, and the dealers, was that it was the sensors that needed checking.

Anyway, I took my 4year old son (from a previous marriage) back to his mums in Wigan and on my way back the message came on again permanently and it felt like I had lost the turbo. It was still running ok up to about 35mph but there was none of the usual kick in acceleration.

I was then debating whether to try and get home via the A roads when it began to lose even more power so I pulled up and called out Green Flag who picked me and the car up and brought us home. I was gutted that the neighbours had to see my pride and joy being carried to my door down the avenue (I live right at the bottom).

I'll be on the phone to the dealer early tomorrow to come and get it and sort it out.

Only good thing though was how impressed the breakdown guy was with the car. Kept calling it a monster and has decided that he's going to get one. He said not to worry and that all cars break down. Decent guy.

So if anyone gets any warnings at all - learn from me and trust your car, it definately knows better.

Cheers

Cue

Matt30462
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 21:49
Interesting, I've never seen a broken down Volvo before!

poochingaround
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 21:51
Sorry to hear of your saga hope your warranty covers whatever problem is.

Cueball_MOB
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 21:57

It hadn't totally broke down but I didn't want to test the theory and seize the engine.

It was more like a cat I once had that managed to crawl home and scale the wall even though there was a big chunk missing out of its back leg from a bite.

I'm sure the Volvo would have kept crawling even though it was wounded.

Cheers

Cue

BlackBeast
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 22:05

I have, was a V70 D5 as it happens in that minty green colour.

Cueball_MOB
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 22:11

I'm sure it could be arranged.

Cue

abdul
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 22:11
hope u get it on the road asap

Rufe
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 23:28
lol, i work for a main dealer, we generally only see them when they have broken down (oh yeah and when they are brand new, or in for a service of course)

at least you have a warranty mate, so not going to cost you to sort it :)

abdul
Monday 24th July 2006, 08:21
did u get a warrantie with it i thought yours was a ex plod there fore u would have no warranty?

DONKEYT5
Monday 24th July 2006, 09:48
did u get a warrantie with it i thought yours was a ex plod there fore u would have no warranty?
you get a 3 month warranty from the dealer when you buy it, and I got a warranty from my finance company. Igot my car from the same place as cueball!!

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 09:56
I used to be a recovery driver and in 2 years of doing the job i picked up 2 volvo`s one was a 440 with a failed clutch,and the other was a XC70 D5 which the bloke had put petrol in LOL.Now tell me that they aint reliable

dreadly
Monday 24th July 2006, 14:07
you get a 3 month warranty from the dealer when you buy it, and I got a warranty from my finance company. Igot my car from the same place as cueball!!

Have you got a link/address for that place, I want an Ex-plod car :)

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:07
Have you got a link/address for that place, I want an Ex-plod car :)

I think these are the fella's http://www.expolicecar.co.uk/

x

dreadly
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:38
I think these are the fella's http://www.expolicecar.co.uk/

x

I feel a dedicated track day car coming on... :)

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:56
I feel a dedicated track day car coming on... :)

If your looking for a T5 to track you may want to consider an 850 - with the 15g turbo they spool up quicker (not got as much top end obviously) - inital outlay will be much less too

x

Cueball_MOB
Monday 24th July 2006, 16:30
[QUOTE=Mrsmopp]I think these are the fella's http://www.expolicecar.co.uk/

Not the one's me and Don got ours from - it's in Hyde and it's called XP Cars.

The T5's on the site Moppy gave are at least £700 more than at XP but I don't know what warranty you get compared to the 3 months from XP.

They've been good at doing the odd jobs I've been back for - Main beam has been fixed, alarm needed servicing, and my mate Dale has been back today with his cos the horn was broke (you can point out he's got no horn when he registers on here :) ).

And they're coming round to pick mine up and get it sorted this evening so we'll see how that goes and I'll update on this thread.

If you want their number or directions to where they are (I'll even meet up with you and show you where it is) just send me a PM and I'll be happy to oblige.

Cheers

Cue

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 16:32
Opps my bad LOL

x

Cueball_MOB
Monday 24th July 2006, 16:33
Opps my bad LOL

x

Only when you want to be I'm sure.

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 16:35
Only when you want to be I'm sure.

LOL :saint: Never ;)

x

abdul
Monday 24th July 2006, 17:50
its a relief that u have a warranty otherwise the bill couuld be high at the stealers

anogg3
Monday 24th July 2006, 19:51
My p2 t5 v70 from xp which i have had for now just a little over 3 monthes is in bits! had to get another engine for it!!! thought head gasket had gone but it turned out to be totally shagged!!!!! Cracked head and suspect cracked block and totally cooked!!! Well that lasted a long time!! First t5 and at this rate the last lol.

poochingaround
Monday 24th July 2006, 20:06
Sorry to hear of your woes what mileage had she covered ,where did you source replacement engine from and at what cost?

anogg3
Monday 24th July 2006, 20:30
milage was 150k engine came from volvo breakers london at £725 supposed to have done 30k 4 month warrenty

Cueball_MOB
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 12:47
I've just rang to see if the car is ready and was told that it was due to a blocked oil filter. Does this ring true? Could it happen? and would it cause the problems I was having?

Cheers

Cue

T5ER
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 13:11
I've just rang to see if the car is ready and was told that it was due to a blocked oil filter. Does this ring true? Could it happen? and would it cause the problems I was having?

Cheers

Cue
Only if it is not a man or genuine as they have non return valves fitted???? which may have been the cause rather than it being blocked

abdul
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 14:03
cueball keep on motoring

poochingaround
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 15:28
You must ask what additional damage has occurred due to the lack of oil feed I would ask that a spectographic analysis of the oil is carried out prior to accepting the car back.Any problems in the future with the engine internals could be connected with this fault.

Cueball_MOB
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 16:57
You must ask what additional damage has occurred due to the lack of oil feed I would ask that a spectographic analysis of the oil is carried out prior to accepting the car back.Any problems in the future with the engine internals could be connected with this fault.

Thanks for that - good point.

But guess what - XP strike again! - it won't be ready until 2moro.:cussing:

Methinks someone has been telling porkies.

Cheers

Cue

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 17:00
Thanks for that - good point.

But guess what - XP strike again! - it won't be ready until 2moro.:cussing:

Methinks someone has been telling porkies.

Cheers

Cue

Thats a little naughty of them!! Whats' their reasonaing for the delay?

Gutted for you as I know you were itching to get your baby back :(

x

Matt30462
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 17:03
Every cloud has a silver lining, while XP have it, they can fit some Dale-esque
dustcaps, exhaust mods and steering wheel enhancements for you.

Cueball_MOB
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 17:03
Thats a little naughty of them!! Whats' their reasonaing for the delay?

Gutted for you as I know you were itching to get your baby back :(

x

The story changes depending who I speak too. Before the warranty runs out I'm thinking of getting someone else to give it a once over to see if there is anything else.

Thanks for the commiserations - I'm driving a borrowed N Reg Rover 620 SDI diesel in the meantime - my previous car was a P Reg Rover diesel but at least it had a turbo, so I've gone backwards - Aaaarrrrggghhhh!

Cheers

Cue

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 17:05
I'm thinking of getting someone else to give it a once over to see if there is anything else.

Cue

Now that sounds like a plan!

x

Cueball_MOB
Thursday 27th July 2006, 20:45
Waheyyyyyy I've got my baby back!

Guess what guys - it's had the oil pump replaced. I've been told to 'take it easy' for a couple of weeks and then change the filter and oil.

But it's back in safe hands - gonna give it a loving clean and tidy 2moro to welcome her home :)

Cheers

Cue

poochingaround
Thursday 27th July 2006, 20:54
If the oil pump has failed what additional damage has occured .Personally i would not accept just an oil pump change.I speak through experience being a former service engineer and warranty engineer for both Rolls Royce and Cummins Diesels.Did you ask about a spectographic analysis of the oil? At least change the oil filter and cut it open to see if any bearing debris is present.