PDA

View Full Version : Avon Park Today

Bison
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 17:36
Hi guys nice to meet those of you who I met to today, I think there were more Volvos there then anything else which was nice, Some nice motors you guys have and I picked up a few ideas for future mods to my car to.

Justin was running a 14.2 which was impressive in the hot weather, I didn't run cos my torque bushing needs replacing and well mine is standard at the mo so i want to wait till I get my RICA!

I had some very positive comments about my car which gave me a big head, i'm glad those of you who viewed my baby liked it. Sorry for deafening yous lot with my sound sytem lol.

Can't wait for the bigger meets in the summer! We should all go for the USC weekend at santapod in August! We could get our own area in the show would be great!!

Bison

Ross9
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 18:32
Nice time from Justin, what car/spec is it again?

I look forward to hearing what everyone was running, so come on peeps, own up lol. 60ft, time and terminal speed would be great, I do like a good nosy at peoples times, terminals etc lol.

Ross

Justin
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 18:35
Well, what can i say, the biggest ever turn out to a Volvo meet, no fewer than 24 cars from the site made the effort today.....ASTONISHING!

Its been a awesome day, Avon were more than accomodating, i will be writing a letter from the site to thank them for the warm reception.

As said, the turnout was amazing, it really is a sight to behold driving down a winding country lane with 8 T5's behind you one after the other, there was some exceptional cars there today, a real credit to all of you.

I managed to scan my 2 best runs although with oily finger prints and creases they are just readable :(

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/displayimage.php?album=124&pos=5

For all of you that turned up i would like to say a massive thankyou, this site can only go from strength to strength with meets like that and members that are that commited :) It was good to see the sun shining on the old faces from last year and a pleasure to get aquainted with the new ones. I will very much look forward to the next, and hopefully have an even bigger turn out.

My sincerest thanks goes to GuyT5, who has no T5 at the moment due to it needing new parts on back order from Volvo, however he still turned out with his Bro running the yellow Porsche 911 (who got a 13.5 :) )and got over an hours worth of film to go on the first ever forum DVD, these will be on sale shortly @ £5.99 inc P&P. That will cover Guys time in editing the vids and also the cost of the DVD and postage, at the moment we are non profit making.

Once again thanks to all that showed up, even those who didnt run, and still made the effort. Cheers people ;)

mulletboy2
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 18:56
I had an excellent time too :D

Great to meet so many new people, and see you all at the next one.

Oh, and I'll get some of my pics up in a bit - there's some fairly good ones.

fraz13
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 19:12
Sounds like it was an ace day :B_thumb:

Glad yeez all had so much fun, am just gutted it was so far from me

Cant believe there were 24 cars :wow: thats just nuts

Mrsmopp
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 19:22
THE best meet we have had so far!! Avon Park is definately the place for VF!! They made us very welcome!

An astounding turnout for our first meet of the year and some really good racing!! None more so that Siamblue who raced the whole day in agony due to his recent op but still managed some excellent times!! A very well done to all of those who broke into the 14's today!!! (Including Winnie :B_thumb: ) And well done Ad for some excellent times out of a DIEsel!! LOL

Thank you very much to everyone who attended - you made it a great day!! It was great to see so many new members and as always good to see the "regulars"

I look forward to the next meet and hopefully seeing a few more of you!!

:wow:

THANKS GUYS!

x

Justin
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 19:23
Forgot to say, if anyone has photo's from today please email them to me justin@volvot5.co.uk

I will create a new album and add everyones pics to it, if you could blank out reg plates and resize them it would be much appreicated too :)

Goof
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 19:31
Will do, but I've got 91 files totalling 81Mb...
See the PM I just sent you.

Al115
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 19:45
Yeah, I've got a load of photos as well... what size do you want them, Justin?

Great to make so many new acquaintances today, thanks to all the "old hands" for making Debbie and I so welcome, and to **EDIT** VF for organising of course. First time for me on the 1/4 mile track and I loved it.

Blew the temp sensor out of my intake pipe at 90mph, which was amusing after the event. Thanks to Adam for taking time out of his racing to VADIS my car and thus help me back onto the track.

Anyone know whether the 760 broke 16 seconds at any stage?

Happy with a 15.0 (technically a 15.1 but let's not be picky) from my unhappy 230bhp:

REACTION 0.52 (still getting used to it!)
60 2.46
TRAP 95.9
1/4 15.07

Roll on this summer's upgrade programme and the next meet!

Alastair

Pedro Fandango
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 19:50
a classsic meet certainly one to remember, & as usual i got my best time of the day when everyone left 14.779@94.75 (not a personal best but BT wasn't happy today)

well done to J for his 14.2 :wink:

mulletboy2
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 19:50
Justin - I'll send my pics over to you now mate. I'm off out to a party, so don't have time to re-size/host, so if you could stick them in a photo album that would be great :)

Cheers

Mark

Justin
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 19:56
Will do mate ;)

Ross9
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 19:58
Sounds like it was a quality day out. Good times Justin, 14.269 @ 98mph best I could tell from the slips :) Was that the best of the day from you lot?

What times did the D5 do?

I await other peeps times, you Volvo peeps are always really cagey about who did what at events lol. It'll get me in the mood for Crail tomorow.

Ross

Justin
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:02
I think Adams D5 did 16,6 secs Ross ;)

mulletboy2
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:07
By the way, sorry if I didn't get a pic of anyone's car who went up.. a fair number missed the cars altogether because of the delay from pressing the button until taking the shot.

chriskay
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:08
Well, folks, although I didn't run, it was a great pleasure meeting so many of you. See you at Stretton Fox? (& maybe I'll wear my old fart's hat :pimp2: ).
Cheers, Chris.

Justin
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:09
14.269 was the best as far as i know, Giles got a 14.4 sec ¼ and madness pulled a couple of 100mph trap speeds around the 14.7 mark.

I struggled like mad for traction till the track warmed up, then it was ok, definately a better venue than santa pod for us.

Also the time boards were not working am, they got them fixed tho ;)

My car is an 855 T5 96 with a rica remap and an ITG filter, thats it, done just over 100k, i am quite chuffed with the time :rolleyes2

Ross9
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:09
Nice, though I do remember an old thread elsewhere a while back where people reckoned a D5 could do similar performance to petrol turbo's, or not far off anyway, and others didnt, I disagreed on the grounds of limited power band, I dare say people will make their own minds up if 1-1.5 seconds is "not far off" or not ;)

Still, none to bad time for a diesel indeed, be interesting to see how it goes when its rica'd and the torque is silly. Theres a 3.0 TD Audi goes to Crail, I'm pretty sure its a 3.0, and it does low 17's, so the D% is fairly showing it up.

Ross

swordy21
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:11
What a good day guys!!!!! - throughly enjoyed it . Fantastic to meet every one, and get to see your cars. I was amazed by the number of peeps that turned up, we certainly did make our mark, I think the raceway were quite chuffed. I certainly think you guys who ran did the marque proud. I am itching to have a go now when mine gets RICA'd in a couple of weeks.

Thanks specially to Dave who let me have a go in his 850R to convince me how good his suspension and brakes are ........... just unstuck my eyeballs from my glasses.

I got quite a few good piccys - will flip them over as well, most likely t'morro, as need to edit reg no's etc.

Can't wait fofr the next one. :wow:

And see I got my sticker in pride of place now

Justin
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:12
Lol, Ross it was Rica'ed and pushing 430nm :slap:

Ross9
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:17
Cool, I didnt realise Madness had his car back on the road, what sort of spec did he go for in the end?

Good terminals, difference in terminals between T4 and T5 is quite curious, ie Jacqs T4 did 14.2 last year, but at 101, and madness was getting 100 terminals as well. Aerodynamics from the S40 to the 850 perhaps, starting to take effect after a certian speed.

Sounds like everyone did well then, good result all in.

Ross

Ross9
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:19
lol, thread moving too quickly for me to keep up.

Ah well, still good goign for a diesel, RICA'd or not.

Ross

Al115
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:29
Had a humourous side-by-side with Madness where we ran the 1/4 almost neck-and-neck... turns out he'd forgotten to turn the NOS bottle on so ran out about halfway up the strip!

Alastair

Ross9
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:37
Surprised it lasted half the strip with the bottle off, would empty the lines very quickly, any time I was in my mates skyline and the bottle was left off accidently it just bogged down, you get the fuel jet firing and no gas, so it overfuels lots.

Ross

Mrsmopp
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:54
All in all a really good day was had by all - its just a bit of fun and no one takes it that seriously! Its great to get good times but not sure each run needs pulling to pieces TBH! :rolleyes:

x

steveT5
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 21:25
First time for me and number two son. We both had a great day. We are already discussing ways to improve on our 15.79sec for our standard auto. Can't wait till the next one !!!

Ross9
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 21:26
Each to their own Ms M.

I just always find it intersting to see which cars make their speed where, and where they lose out. Helps to get better runs. No-one is pulling any runs apart, to do that we'd have to start looking at tyre size, shift points, tyre pressures etc etc, lol. But I agree that would be taking it too far to say the least.

Definately sounds like a succesful event, well done to all.

Ross

Pedro Fandango
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 22:09
:wow: some pictures in the gallery (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/thumbnails.php?album=143) already, now that is on the ball ;)

http://img118.exs.cx/img118/961/dscf00468cs.jpg
i like this one, you can just see BT's rear as she pulls away from Siamblue (sorry mate ;) )

SaffronC70
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 22:42
Hi guys

Quality day, must do it again !

Run an OK 14.9, car got sicker after each run though - need to get to the bottom of it !

Nice to put faces to names to cars etc !

Chris

volvotuning
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 23:06
Indeed the D5 did ok. 16.6 @ 86 mph, with the 198 bhp RICA upgrade as mentioned before. It's the first time I've been out in the D5 for competitive purposes and the limiting factor soon became apparent - the gearing is wrong for the 1/4 mile.

1st gear takes you to about 20 mph, 2nd to 40 mph, 3rd to 70 mph, 4th to about 90 mph, and 5th to about 140 mph.

So you see, you loose a lot of time changing gears for a good trap speed. If I had enough time, I would have experimented more with missing a gear, say 1st to 3rd, or starting in 2nd. Maybe next time!

What is clear is that the D5 was capable of 60 ft times very close to the T5, and also to the 1/8 mile. It's after the 8th mile that the T5 was much quicker, hence the faster trap speeds.

Good fun though!

Adam.

rich850t5
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 23:15
:wow: What a great turnout,Had a great time,Nice to meet you all at last BIG cheers to JUSTIN for reading codes and spotting that i had a split knuckle pipe cheers j.I didn't run this time but next time i will be running once the probs are sorted.Once again thanks to all for making me and WILL very welcome(oh i let my mate Will drive my car and he is now hooked (another convert!!) and will be on the lookout for one v soon as always he has to convince his missus,ahh the joys of marriage)OH AND NATASHA HOW LONG ARE THOSE LEGS? :jaw: :jaw: :wave23d: :wave23d: SEE YOU ALL NEXT TIME! :wiggle: :wiggle:ps winnie has started smoking 40 a day and left the empty packets on that nice clean carpet!! hahahahahahahahahaha!!

spesh
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 23:21
Sounds like you lot had a great day,so gutted I couldn't come along, well done Justin on the 14.2.
This was what I was doing, instead of having fun with you lot.

rich850t5
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 23:36
Hi guys

Quality day, must do it again !

Run an OK 14.9, car got sicker after each run though - need to get to the bottom of it !

Nice to put faces to names to cars etc !

ChrisAn ok 14.9 if i had 340bhp id be dissapointed HOPE ITS BETTER FOR NEXT TIME CHRIS

After_Shock
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 23:53
Well as he says theirs definately something wrong if its running that time with that power in other words its not upto 340, also depends if you have any experience of the 1/4 as I found out when I went to one!

swordy21
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 00:16
Sounds like you lot had a great day,so gutted I couldn't come along, well done Justin on the 14.2.
This was what I was doing, instead of having fun with you lot.

Was that my engine = looks like it!!!!!!!!!!!! :eye-poppi

spesh
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 00:36
I wish I was mate, but sadly it's mine.

swordy21
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 00:39
OOOhhhh thats pooooo

What happened

spesh
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 00:45
Timing belt slipped, and bent alll the exhaust valves, so the head is being ported and polished 2morrow, I should have my new valves by Tuesday, back on the road about Thursday with a pinch of luck! :B_thumb:

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 01:10
I enjoyed the day very much. I am not quite certain why I had such a hard time getting into the 14s. My 60fts were consistently on 2.4sec and I was terminating around the 93/94 mph. I put a lot of effort into getting her right so I was a little disheartened by the results. I was hoping she'd be at least as competitive as she was at Santa Pod. Drove Giles car which for a 200K is suprisingly chipper. It feels a lot lighter than mine. Charge temps at the start were in the high 20's. Still wrapping my brain about if and where the car could be loosing out?

Still all said and done - a great day and good to see so many new faces.

Second thing - for Spesh
How long did it take you to get the head off, but?

spesh
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 01:22
Just under 3 hours, sun was shining, music was blasting, in a good mood, everthing went my way :banana: , I was very surprised.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 01:39
Funny really - usually expect some drama when doing these big jobs.

Set up another thread before I get accused of highjacking :B_thumb:

lance
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 01:40
Had a Fab day , good to see lots of new faces as well as the more well known ones! :wavey:

It was good to see people beating personal bests, if not always in time but in higher trap speeds!

I also managed to get 2 personal bests today of 15.1 secs 1/4 @ 97.55 mph which Im happy with given the known 142k and previous burn outs of Miss whiplashs original Clutch and a rather well worn turbo!
The other best being warp speed on a private highway pulling 155( seemed flat out) around 6k ish rpm, took a bit of doing but I found those Naughty but nice oral Numbers a good way home ! :rally_dri
Very soon I MUST replace the clutch, and soon after I will need a new turbo to beat the magic 15 secs and also manage an off the clock!

Well done to everyone that turned up and raced and to those that didnt race and to those who couldnt make it for unfortunate reasons!

All in all the best day Ive had out for a long time! :saythat:

Thankyou!

Justin
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 11:23
BTW, i had some fun on the way home, brand new impreza in blue decided to give it large on the way home, after patiently sitting behind a ploice car for 6 miles he pulled off, impreza gunned it infront of me, oops, Jojo nearly ran up his ass :)

He gave up as in the end and let me sail past...;)

Then to my amazement came off the motorway and was going my way, tried to get by but Jojo was now fuming, lets just say he didnt and his face was a picture :)

misterpeck
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 11:28
Just got in from work

Well seems like everyone had a good day, sorry I missed it. Unfortunatly I had to work Friday and Saturday night, (why does Te5cos have to open 24 hrs).

Maybe next time I will be off for the weekend.

Well done to all if your happy with the results..... :rice:

DaveS60D5
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 12:59
Thanks to all for a QUALITY day out!! Fantastic turnout of both old friends and new, and thanks especially to Wayne (Judge) for storing my brother & mine's crap while we raced!

I beat my person best of 15.0 so was more than a little chuffed to get a 14.81!! :)

Quality - looking forward to the next one...! :) :funkybana

siamblue
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 16:25
Hi All,Well what can i say,This is what its all about,I had a brilliant day,Glad we didn't get there for 9am as they didn't start racing til 11am,So nice to meet everyone concerned with the forum new and old,
Started teh day at 7am found my Shell garage was closed :slap: So had to fill up with BP Ultimate :jaw:Made me a bit behind schedule at J2 M40 so had a good run with a CLK Merc,i hit 140 with some much ease,Then found at Avon park my speedo is out by 6mph at 90mph,actually running 96,WHEELS/TYRES at fault,
My best time through the day was 14.9sec,Pain barrier was hit a few times hence the 3 runs at a time then a 2hour rest with Tablets,
Good thing about the next meeting i can get the car running faster,
As 1, I will be running with smaller tyres as this will be slowing me down,At present i am running 235/40/18s So 225s or 215s on the front are the order of the day,Shell Optimax for sure,Also my Iridium plugs are preset at 32 thou so i am going to adjust them down to 28 thou as this is the standard gap,
So i have 3 reasons to get my times down,One last thing on my car the previous owner fitted a catback exhaust so i am running 2 cats maybe i should loose one :confused:,
Thanks again i am sure the Pod with their attraction to Chavs will be out for us in the future,The Park rocks for us VT5 Members. :B_thumb:

Gary.

PS On my last run i was racing a pro stock funny car so thought i would film it up the track in the other lane will i was racing him haha,I ran a 15.7 he ran a 10 :wow: So i can send it to Justin. :Handshake

Pedro Fandango
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 16:33
lol i got there at 8am :rolleyes2

was a brilliant day tho

GuyD5
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 17:42
lol i got there at 8am :rolleyes2

Just after me and Andy :D

SaffronC70
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 18:32
I cruised on in . . . can't remember what time, just before racing ? I seriously thought no one would be there, already taken their fill of runs !

Justin
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 22:51
Just to let you all know i have uploaded all the pics that i have been sent, a huge thanks to Alistair Goof and Swordy for the pics, they are truly awesome, have a look but put an hour aside before you do ;)

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/thumbnails.php?album=143

Goof
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 22:56
Nice one Justin - thanks!

swordy21
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 23:31
Happy to help, was brilliant day - look forward to many more, and I wanna race next time when my bus is better.

Giles
Monday 4th April 2005, 08:21
:wavey: Think I was actually fastest with a 14.24 ?

Justin
Monday 4th April 2005, 08:27
Well done Giles :)

:whatever: :nutkick:

Murphy
Monday 4th April 2005, 09:32
I did enjoy the Volvo meet, depite me having a skoda, and not running it was all good. Sorry for slipping off early, but my parents struggle with my angelic kids after about 5 hours - lol.

I managed to slip in one picture i see ;)

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/albums/Avon%20park%2002%2004%2005/normal_P4020305%20%28Small%29.JPG

I will run next time. And btw, i went to a Skoda RR shoot out yesterday and pulled 127bhp and 226 lb/ft. Under stock figures, but still managed to bully a sandwich of S2000's and Evo's on the way back, aswel as a 106GTI and cheeky 5 turbo session, so not all bad ;)

http://www.briskoda.net/gallery/files/3/2/8/8/DSC_0009.JPG

Mrsmopp
Monday 4th April 2005, 09:38
Very impressive for you little machine!! :worship:

Thanks for making the effort to join us on Saturday!

x

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th April 2005, 09:45
Yeah Andy, it was great to see you and the Briskoda.

Bracer
Monday 4th April 2005, 09:49
Sounds like I missed another fantastic day :cry:

But roll on the next event cos SAM is comming :firedevil

V8guitar
Monday 4th April 2005, 15:52
Late posting this one......but had to say, REALLY enjoyed the day. :B_thumb:

Only posted a 15.5 with Rica. Was a bit disappointed although it was partially "user error" but my interpretations were:
1) Geartronics are noticably slower picking up. Even with Traction off, the wheels don't spin as the power only seems to kick in after about 20 MPH. By that time most cars I went against had a couple of lengths on me. I always though my old V70 auto was more aggressive and it seemed to be the case....
2) Launch technique is quite important!!
3) 0.5 - 1 second isn't a lot over a quarter mile
4) T5's are not drag cars, but I think our times were quite respectable considering the minimal mods!!!
5) T5's have not necessarily got better over the years. The P1 V70 and 850's looked fab!! I was quite jealous!!!!

I'm just happy that:
1) I met a great bunch of lads ( and lasses!!)
2) I kept pace with a V8 mustang - he beat me on take off
3) I didn't get nicked on the way down
4) Steve and I gave a pasting to an Alfa 155 Tspark - and I promised myself not to speed down that road, oh well!!

Special thanks to T5guy and his bro ( top bloke!!) and Lance, Steve and Goof for the convoy - next time though, I'm not going sooo early!!

Al - you were worring about your poorly car, then beat me!! What DID adam do ?? Only joking, I really liked your car
Both Dave's - Both beautiful cars!!
Pedro - What haven't you got on your car!!
Justin - Are you sure you have no other mods ? even around the car park yours looked quick!!!
Mrs M - I missed seeing Winnie actually and we didn't talk much, will catch you next time
JudgeNinja - You are mad! Checkers, lights, Nissan support...what more can I say!

I feel really sorry for the guy with the V8 Volvo. His first time out after seriously modding his car, and 24 T5's turn up, and all that ran beat his best time! I hope he sorts it and gets it running like it should!

...oh and I burnt my head!! :firedevil

Does life get much better ??

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th April 2005, 15:56
It was good to meet you too mate. BBQ next ;)

Mrsmopp
Monday 4th April 2005, 16:18
Having had this drummed into my by Hamish on Saturday i have to agree V8. These cars are basic road cars - none of us have spent silly amounts of money changing internals and modifying to the extent that a lot of the other track/quarter mile cars have been and yet they still pul some very respectable times! Lets be honest we dont even have the right tyres on for the job!

Most of us have simply spent the money on an ECU upgrade and maybe a suspension upgrade (if we are lucky enough to have a nice bank manager) where as if you look at the spec of some of the other machines at Santa pod/Avon/York/Crail they have spent "thousands" to get under 15 seconds!!

The T5 never ceases to amaze me!! Well done to everybody who took part they are ALL astonishing times for 1.5tonnes of unaerodynamic metal!

x

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th April 2005, 16:36
I :smlove2: my brick!

Justin
Monday 4th April 2005, 18:37
Late posting this one......but had to say, REALLY enjoyed the day. :B_thumb:

Only posted a 15.5 with Rica. Was a bit disappointed although it was partially "user error" but my interpretations were:
1) Geartronics are noticably slower picking up. Even with Traction off, the wheels don't spin as the power only seems to kick in after about 20 MPH. By that time most cars I went against had a couple of lengths on me. I always though my old V70 auto was more aggressive and it seemed to be the case....
2) Launch technique is quite important!!
3) 0.5 - 1 second isn't a lot over a quarter mile
4) T5's are not drag cars, but I think our times were quite respectable considering the minimal mods!!!
5) T5's have not necessarily got better over the years. The P1 V70 and 850's looked fab!! I was quite jealous!!!!

I'm just happy that:
1) I met a great bunch of lads ( and lasses!!)
2) I kept pace with a V8 mustang - he beat me on take off
3) I didn't get nicked on the way down
4) Steve and I gave a pasting to an Alfa 155 Tspark - and I promised myself not to speed down that road, oh well!!

Special thanks to T5guy and his bro ( top bloke!!) and Lance, Steve and Goof for the convoy - next time though, I'm not going sooo early!!

Al - you were worring about your poorly car, then beat me!! What DID adam do ?? Only joking, I really liked your car
Both Dave's - Both beautiful cars!!
Justin - Are you sure you have no other mods ? even around the car park yours looked quick!!!
Mrs M - I missed seeing Winnie actually and we didn't talk much, will catch you next time
JudgeNinja - You are mad! Checkers, lights, Nissan support...what more can I say!

I feel really sorry for the guy with the V8 Volvo. His first time out after seriously modding his car, and 24 T5's turn up, and all that ran beat his best time! I hope he sorts it and gets it running like it should!

...oh and I burnt my head!! :firedevil

Does life get much better ??
Superb post mate, had me in stitches laughing :B_rotfl:

I can assure you mine has just a remap and an ITG filter, thats it mate.

Poor old alfa, and pmsl @ the V8 Volvo, Dave and i were discussing the same point last night over a few beers :)

Cheers

Pedro Fandango
Monday 4th April 2005, 19:09
A microwave (supplier keeps letting me down lol)

was nice to meet you mate, was that your first time on the strip?

Ross9
Monday 4th April 2005, 21:01
Quality, just had a read through this, some cracking times from the Volvos.

As was said by V8, mrs m, etc, they are a very good base car, and the trick to a quick car is to buy a quick one in the first place. Though any car that needed thousands spent to get under 15, must have been bloody slow to start with lol, but I see the point. Generally its getting under 14, 13.5, etc that costs. All depends what you start with.

Well done peeps, I was impressed with the times you lot were running.

Ross

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 02:44
Well good evening peoples...You lot have had an extra day to post you report well i thought I'd better add my bit....

what can I say...I managed to pack almost everthing (couldn't unbolt the kitchen sink) Gazebos/stoves/tents/food/17" alloys/tools etc into the trailer ready for the trip. With the expedition ready both RandomGuy and I left Anglesey Friday to travel down to the travellodge. It was a pretty slow and uneventful trip down 70-75 most of the way and there were no traffic problems at all. On the way down we stopped in Crewe to pick up a friend and his luggage (I think about 4 suite cases.....(For camping..????)).

After dropping off the trailer and my car we enjoyed a road side fish and chip meal, whilst watching all the chav-mobiles go round and round and round again....at one stage we thought a fiesta was lost as it circled a round about about twenty times but then we realised that there was two of them.... :slap:

Saturday....
What a great welcome.....We were glad to see so many old faces as well as new ones. With a rough estimate of 5000bhp to share out, those that dared hit the track....Ramdomguy in his tuned Nissan Primera had looked to be competition for me in my standard T-5 on the day after initial testing after replacing his Flywheel which totally changed the accelerating characteristics of his car. But on the day the massive advantage in torque in the T-5 engine ment he's still got a lot to do.

I did spend most of the day fighting to get under 15.5 but with the odd bit of divine intervention managed a 15.275 which was identical to last year, so I was generally happy but would have liked to better my technique to get a lower 15.2.

Anyway after a bit of waiting in line and chatting to Adam about comparing his D5 to the T5, a RICA ECU found its way under my bonnet. Last year I did the same and was left undecided about fitting one as I actually recorded a faster time in standard mode at Santa Pod. Anyway I was up for giving it another try...

Up to the line I went...I give the custom'ry spin.....THE THING GOES BALISTIC.....I then crept up to the line and went for the first run. The first thing I noticed was in standard form I could dump the clutch and and with a minor wheel spin I could control the run (JUST). With a RICA you can't just dump the clutch and stamp on the throttle, cause it won't go anywhere (well maybe sideways with torque steer). Once I got grip I was off....I changed up to second late and noticed that it didn't bounce off the rev limiter...(ah I think I can go higher)...Right then once I think I'm ready for third I let the rev gauge travel that little bit further.....OK then I took it past 7000rpm.... :crazy: ...This run was a total disaster like My first ever run in April 2004 ....a total eye opener....

Anyway I travelled back to the line and join the queue as normal ready for another go now that I am starting to understand the new ECU....with a bit of stationary time I run across to pick up my slip and to my supprise I got a time of :jaw: 15.129 :jaw: ....(tenth of a second better without even trying).....

Anyway I then completed three more runs with the ECU and here are the times :
14.978 :smileypul

I must say a big thanks to Adam for the loan, and any reservations I had last year have been totally cleared. I now fully endorse the purchase of one of these if you're gonna start tuning.... :B_thumb:

Back to standard I then posted a couple of 15.27's and a load of 15.5+ before very dodgily swapping my car for RandomGuy's nissan giving my Volvo to a friend who gave my car the slowest run so far of 17secs (he has now been stoned to death since being back here by the local witches).

Randomguy's best of the day was 16.4. I managed to drop that by 0.2 to 16.2. I then made him pay me a penny so that he could say that he's team manager and has the budget to sponser his newly appointed driver...ME..... :Handshake ...

With everyone elses stuff unloaded from the trailer (once they had remebered and turned back :banana: ) we said our goodbye's to as many as we could find (apologises to anyone missed) and started our journey over to Santa Pod for theFastShow.com festivities....

What a night...... loads of 16 yr old chavs running around making as much noise as possible.....We find the rest of the NPOC (Nissan Primera Owner's Club) group and set up camp and settle down for the night...We had a nice quiet night and of course I never went anywhere near the lap dancers......honest :smileypul ....

We got up the next day and after a full fry up cooked by my fair hands we decamped and headed for the exibitors area. 2million subarus, 1milion Skylines and every saxo under the sun was there...oh yeah and one extra volvo...Madness had made it....So I wasn't the only Volvo on the day.....

Slight difference to the day was, this was a full ranked competition Volvo's were classed in Group A with BMW's/Rover's and MG's and a cost of £12.00 for three runs of which I totally fluffed only recording times of :
I wasn't very happy so I left it a few hours and then signed on again for another go. By this time they adjusted the entry to £10 for unlimited runs. And for the rest of the day I struggled to get anything under 15.6 with one run of inspiration of 15.36 which was my best of the day.

I have just checked the results page on www.thefastshow.com as madness was actual class leader up until lunch time with a 14.5 which he annihilated with a 14.3 (which should start to worry Justin). He was finally beaten by a BMW with a 14.1...

Anyway I think you must be bored now so I won't mention the 5 seond jet car that passes the finish line at 300mph; the wheelie car; the numerous dragsters, funny cars and milk float (13 sec 1/4 by the way)....

I would certainly recommend getting more Volvos there next year and my JUDGENINJA number plate certainly got some puzzled comments from the commentator......

This was definately worth the 650 mile round trip and the £120 of fuel used over the weekend....

....HAPPY DAYS......see you soon....

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 02:46
Oh yeah whilst I remember the V8 Volvo had only been built 2 weeks(or months) prior and Saturday was their first even drag strip run....It'll be good when they get it running right...

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 09:23
What a report LOL!! :bounce:

x

siamblue
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 09:27
Hi Judge Very nice meeting you and thanks for storing my spare and the Michellin Pilot tyre that you wanted t keep :smileypul,
Seems you had a great weekend after the Avon Park meet,
Santa Pod does attract all the Chavs though we know that for fact now. :riceboy:
What a meeting this weekend has been for all of us,I still haven't rybbed out the number on the back of my windscreen, :crazy:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 09:32
"If you don't read any other post this year, read this one" ... ****

"Outstanding"....****

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 09:45
What a meeting this weekend has been for all of us,I still haven't rybbed out the number on the back of my windscreen, :crazy:

Me neither!!! Mine is P9 which people at work keep misinterpreting as 69 - they dont belive I spent the weekend drag racing (they all have dirty minds!)

x

Bracer
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 09:46
Award for "BEST" write-up of the "BEST" meet to date goes to JUDGENINJA

:bow_kneel

Goof
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 11:34
Me neither!!! Mine is P9 which people at work keep misinterpreting as 69 - they dont belive I spent the weekend drag racing (they all have dirty minds!)

x
"Drag racing" - I can just imagine Moppy chasing an over-dressed drag queen down the High St! :hihi:

Apologies - I think the nurse is here now with my medication... :rolling_e

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 11:58
"Drag racing" - I can just imagine Moppy chasing an over-dressed drag queen down the High St! :hihi:

Apologies - I think the nurse is here now with my medication... :rolling_e

ROTFLMSO!! :B_rotfl: You owe me a new keyboard Goof having just sprayed it with tea!!! LOL

x

Giles
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 12:57

x

Had to rub mine of sharpish - didn't want people thinking I'd just bought it from a scrap yard!

Rufe
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 13:28
sorry to ask, but i really dont have the patience to read through 8 pages lol... but who had the fastest time at Avon this weekend then, and what was their spec? im curious to see if what some of you were saying before is still right, about avon giving better times than pod if you remember? i dont think so myself, but i suppose you can convince me now perhaps? lol :)

Giles
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 13:34
Think you'll find that was me by 0.02 of a second over Justin :banana:
Spec - knackered old ex-police car with 206,000 miles on it. Dodgy suspension, halfords own air-filter, 97 RON BP Ultimate. RICA, recon. turbo unit.

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 15:10
I still haven't rybbed out the number on the back of my windscreen, :crazy:
nor me lol

madness
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 15:33
I did my fastest time at santa pod the day after , so I am split about which is better.

V8guitar
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 16:17

x

Just rubbed mine off as I got some interested looks on the way back. Mine was G7 but should have changed it to V8....

JudgeNinja - Cracking post, read it all and nice to see a pre and post Rica time. I was unsure of the results given that some unRiced did as well and better than Rica-ed but you actually did a "control" test ( as they say in the labs!!). Convinces me that my time would have been even worse un-Ricaed. If I can just find out what Justin is on to produce those times....as Madness has his Gas ( when he remembers to switch it on!!)

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 16:18
V8 are you geartronic?

x

Rufe
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 16:59
Think you'll find that was me by 0.02 of a second over Justin :banana:
Spec - knackered old ex-police car with 206,000 miles on it. Dodgy suspension, halfords own air-filter, 97 RON BP Ultimate. RICA, recon. turbo unit.
congratulations :D

what was your best time then?

Giles
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 08:59

Trap 2.320
97.33 mph

Could have been a bit better if I could control the wheelspin a bit more - think I can - have to give it a go next time. Had TRACS on all the time as well.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 09:00

Trap 2.320
97.33 mph

Could have been a bit better if I could control the wheelspin a bit more - think I can - have to give it a go next time. Had TRACS on all the time as well.

All that whilst waving to the crowd on his way down the strip!! :lol: Quality! :biggrin:

x

Giles
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 17:02
All that whilst waving to the crowd on his way down the strip!! :lol: Quality! :biggrin:

x

Not much else to do with an auto - shall eat my lunch next time and maybe read a paper - and still get the best time :D

siamblue
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 17:33
Not much else to do with an auto - shall eat my lunch next time and maybe read a paper - and still get the best time :D

We shall see :wavey:

Rufe
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 20:05
aiming for a 13.6 then mate? lol

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 6th April 2005, 22:07
I really think that this weekend was probably one of the best weekends away I had in a very long time...... if ever... I'm extremely glad that we were able to enjoy Saturday as a group. I did notice in my report I was a bit selfish didn't congratulate everyone on their excellent times.

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE.....

It maybe a shame that more of you couldn't make Sunday'S FASTSHOW.COM but my car and number plate (and RamdomGuy screaming "NINJA" from the stands) gave the commentator something to talk about.

Most of the CHAVs didn't understand the Volvo power but from what I can gather both Madness's and my Volvos were given really positive reviews, even from a load of baseball cap wearing yobs.......

siamblue
Thursday 7th April 2005, 10:30
Justin whats happened to the pics mate?Can only view 9 pages of 100 pictures now.

Gary

GuyD5
Thursday 7th April 2005, 12:11
Hi Gary

Justin went through them last night and deleted a lot of the duplicate ones, and some that were a bit fuzzy ... just left in the best/uniqe ones :)

lance
Thursday 7th April 2005, 12:31
I managed to view all 100 just now no problem?

Hows the DVD coming on!

V8guitar
Thursday 7th April 2005, 12:38
V8 are you geartronic?

x

Oui...( in In Paris at the mo...)

Giles ( or Gilles - pronounced jeel -as they say here ) - you did look cool just waving as you posted the best time....VERY smooth!

JudgeN - did you "suprise" any chav mobiles at the Fast show ??

siamblue
Thursday 7th April 2005, 15:20
Hi Gary

Justin went through them last night and deleted a lot of the duplicate ones, and some that were a bit fuzzy ... just left in the best/uniqe ones :)

Ahh i see,I knew there was 183 so just wondered where the rest went :smile:

GuyD5
Thursday 7th April 2005, 18:08
I managed to view all 100 just now no problem?

Hows the DVD coming on!

Hi Lance

As Gary said there were 180-odd before being sorted :)

The DVD is coming along .... something like 70 different runs, plus a load of stills ... all takes a bit of time to sort, index, title, etc ... be as quick as I can but I don't want to spoil it by rushing :wink:

Cheers mate

lance
Thursday 7th April 2005, 18:21
Nice one Guy, cant wait to able to bore My Mrs with it :eclipsee_ :yikes: ,
I must have watched last years Vid about 10+times.
Keep up the good work!

Pedro Fandango
Friday 8th April 2005, 12:08
The DVD is coming along .... something like 70 different runs, plus a load of stills ... all takes a bit of time to sort, index, title, etc ... be as quick as I can but I don't want to spoil it by rushing :wink:
do i take it from that your putting photo's (as jpg files) on the DVD as well? :D

Giles
Friday 8th April 2005, 14:09
Did you manage to get the times on the vid as well (unlike my dad last year!)?

GuyD5
Friday 8th April 2005, 15:51
Pedro .... yes, I'm putting a small selection of the jpegs on the DVD inbetween some of the runs ... I think it gets a little monotonous otherwise :)

Giles .... the first half are without times unless I can get them from the commentators, in which case I've titled them over the end of the run ... the second half they got the board working again and I tried to get a shot of the board at the end of the run for each vehicle ... mind, it was very windy on the top of the stands and there is some movement of the camera at full zoom so some are a little difficult to read without pausing the film :insane:

Still working on it boys and girls ... I'll be as quick as I can :)

Pedro Fandango
Friday 8th April 2005, 16:55
Guy, your a star :worship:

GuyD5
Friday 8th April 2005, 17:42
Guy, your a star :worship:

LoL ... better wait and see the end result before coming to that conclusion Duane :wink:

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 9th April 2005, 00:33
JudgeN - did you "suprise" any chav mobiles at the Fast show ??

Damn yeah..... :wink: One of the last runs of the day I pulled along side a well sorted Honda Civic (old shape). Body kit etc.... It gave a nice revy sound as it pulled up to the line and I thought I was going down, as I'd just lost to an Impreza. Anyway the lights went as they normally do. I got a cracking start which made the run for me and I got my 15.36 for the day beating him by just 0.3secs.........he didn't return to the queue.....

Thought I'd post All my runs..although after looking through them I think some of them have gone missing....
SATURDAY - AVON PARK

15.533 @ 94.40 (STANDARD)
15.275 @ 95.18 (STANDARD)
15.129 @ 95.31 (RICA)
14.978 @ 95.89 (RICA)
15.373 @ 96.16 (RICA)
14.973 @ 95.92 (RICA)
15.053 @ 96.34 (RICA)
17.054 @ 90.49 (I wasn't driving ....honest...)
15.690 @ 94.74 (STANDARD)

SUNDAY - THEFASTSHOW.COM - SANTA POD

15.834 @ 90.87
16.473 @ 91.65
15.820 @ 90.71
15.845 @ 89.45
15.495 @ 91.48
15.557 @ 91.66
15.748 @ 90.13
15.994 @ 91.07
15.641 @ 92.62
15.705 @ 91.61
15.364 @ 93.01
15.502 @ 92.01
15.630 @ 92.05
15.571 @ 92.81

MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT
Lost to a Corsa....... :mad:

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 9th April 2005, 04:43
Whilst writing up the timings report I found a faster time with the RICA. It may only be 0.005 seconds faster but it all helps My new fastest time is

14.973 @95.92mph...