PDA

View Full Version : ABS help Badly needed

Tomcat
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 23:24
Can anybody offer some help please??

I've had an intermitant fault on the ABS since I bought the car, I purchased a second hand ABS controller thinking this was at fault and temporarily this put the lights out. As of late the lights are back on pretty much constantly, they do go out occasionaly but not for very long.

I've had it into the local independent and they said the rear wheels sensor was faulty, £100 later I replaced both rear sensors as they come as a pair. This made no difference to the fault at all, ok I thought, maybe the fault needs to be deleted from the ABS controllers memory. I took it in again today and paid for the privalege of having the codes deleted, he even took it for a short test run. I got back in and only got as far as the gate before the lights came back on!!!

I have a spare Controller that I've opened and checked the soldering on and I'm starting to think that I should replace the one on the car again, trouble is I can't remove it as the bolts are on too tight!!.

Anyone suggest a way I can get these teenyweeny little bols undone without wrecking the controller in the process?, I'd rather not remove the abs pump to do it as I'd have to bleed all the brakes up again. Currently the only way that springs to mind is to grind the heads off the bolts with a dremmel or similar tool, unless anyone can suggest an easier way?

dreadly
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 08:16
Have you thought of getting a frontwheel sensor from the scrappy and replacing the front one's in turn?

Would a main stealer be able to read the codes and tell you what the fault actually is?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:54
if you wreck the E5 bolts then I have spares.

Tomcat
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:56
Cheers Dave I'll bear that in mind for when I eventually get the old one off!!, hoping to have a go at it next week some time.

t5tart
Tuesday 25th July 2006, 00:01
dont forget the pedal sensor too this was the problem with mine

Tomcat
Tuesday 25th July 2006, 00:06
This is intermitant at best(more off than on), I will try the Abs controller first as thats where I think the problem lies. Failing that, and the fact its already cost me over £200 to be no better off, I'll get the codes read again and see what else is apparently faulty. They mentioned the pump and something else last time I was there, but being as the time before it was the right rear brake sensor I'm more inclined to think its the controller at fault.

oblark
Thursday 27th July 2006, 19:46
This is intermitant at best(more off than on), I will try the Abs controller first as thats where I think the problem lies. Failing that, and the fact its already cost me over £200 to be no better off, I'll get the codes read again and see what else is apparently faulty. They mentioned the pump and something else last time I was there, but being as the time before it was the right rear brake sensor I'm more inclined to think its the controller at fault.

Hi,

The light was on mine all the time and the fault codes where:-
near side wheel sensor
ABS pump

Had a recon abs ecu fitted and had the old codes erased, all ok now

Tomcat
Friday 4th August 2006, 00:56
Thanks too all for your help and suggestions. I bought myself some proper Torx sockets today and attempted to get the ABS controller off. Expecting the worst I was pleasantly surprised, all four bolts came off with very little in the way of struggling, I just had to find the right size socket and then tap it back onto the knackered bolt head.Having removed the offending controller I replaced it with the one I'd already looked at/amended with a soldering iron. Touch wood, the lights have gone out and so far haven't come back on(HOORAY!!).

Incidentally the garage I take it too was at this point suggesting that I would have to replace the ABS pump!, this is after already shelling out over £100 for new rear sensors that I don't really think it needed.

Once again thanks for all your suggestions......I'm so glad to be rid of those damn lights!!!

arbee
Friday 4th August 2006, 12:22
its soo damn annoying isnt it!

I have replaced my abs ecu, was fine for a couple of months - reset all the codes - great :)

until.... bloody lights!!!! now the weird thing is no fault codes are stored! wtf!!