PDA

View Full Version : Weird vibrating/droning sound.

Dacvolvo
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 17:31
Hi, Folks

My Dad has a T reg 1.8i S40.

Whenever he applies the brakes, there's a loud droning/vibrating noise that seems to echo throughout the whole body of the car, but it's definitely coming from the front.

I though it might be a link arm or a rubber gromit somewhere. It only happens when he's braking gently from about 10-15mph. He can brake from 70mph all the way down till about 10mph and then it starts. As soon as the car stops completely, you can still hear the noise echoing through the chasis for a second or two. He's replaced the front 15" alloys and tyres (with a friends 17" versions) - no change and he's also had new discs & pads fitted - still no change at all...

It's really weird.

Any ideas?

Straker
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 19:18
Sounds very much like a cracked brake disk. Get them check and changed ASAP!!!!

Dacvolvo
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 22:44
Sounds very much like a cracked brake disk. Get them check and changed ASAP!!!!

He's already tried that and there's no change what-so-ever.

Vikingxl
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 23:09
Have you checked the wifes handbag?

LeeVTi
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 00:10
are the wheels balanced corectly?

Dacvolvo
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 00:15
are the wheels balanced corectly?

Yup - that was one of the first things he did - took it to the garage and they checked the wheels were balanced and did the tracking. Again, no change what-so-ever.

We even tried a set of 17" alloys (Swapped all four alloys over) from my Dad's mate/neighbour who has a V40 2.0i. Still no change. The V40 drove fine with my Dad's 15" alloys, it's def not a wheel/alloy problem.

He's given up and has decided to book it into the Volvo garage on Monday, but I said I'd ask on here to see if the Volvo Forum could offer up any ideas.

I've only been in the car with him a few times when the noise has appeared, but it sounds like a rubber has worn or came loose and it's almost like a piece of metal that's shaking - similar to when you wet your finger and run it round the rim of a wine glass - it's the same droning/vibrating sound, but this is kinda metalic. It's very weird to try and describe.

Dacvolvo
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 00:17
Have you checked the wifes handbag?
Ha ha ha - Yup, although, this is really my Mum's car as she uses it more than my Dad (His daily run around is a Grand Vitara)...

I hate the Suzuki Vitaras...

dreadly
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 08:08
Is it an Auto?

Also have you checked the front suspension droplink's. - Does the S40 Have these??? - I ask cause they are a major wear item.

Next thing to look at would be lower arm bushes, roll bar bushes strut-top bearings etc...

t5 stealth
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 08:21
you say its had pads & disks changed,
are the disks a drilled or grooved type,
are the discs on in the correct rotation,
as you will get a drone from the brakes if the grooves are going the wrong way,other thing mite be has it got an engine mount failing or broken,when braking then momentum throws the engine forward which it may be vibrating or touching a part of the car that its not meant to,
other thing is jack up the front & check the wheel bearings,give them a wobble & spin them & listen,you mite have a bearing on its way,
im assumeing the noise is from the front as the weight is thrown forward under braking so the extra loads are applied

Dacvolvo
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 11:16
Is it an Auto?

Also have you checked the front suspension droplink's. - Does the S40 Have these??? - I ask cause they are a major wear item.

Next thing to look at would be lower arm bushes, roll bar bushes strut-top bearings etc...

Hey, Dreadly

Nope - it's an automatic. Hmm, bushes - that's what I was thinking of...

Dacvolvo
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 11:19
you say its had pads & disks changed,
are the disks a drilled or grooved type,
are the discs on in the correct rotation,
as you will get a drone from the brakes if the grooves are going the wrong way,other thing mite be has it got an engine mount failing or broken,when braking then momentum throws the engine forward which it may be vibrating or touching a part of the car that its not meant to,
other thing is jack up the front & check the wheel bearings,give them a wobble & spin them & listen,you mite have a bearing on its way,
im assumeing the noise is from the front as the weight is thrown forward under braking so the extra loads are applied

Hi, Stealth

It was standard Volvo discs and pads that were on it and it's standard Volvo disc and pads that have been fitted to it - so no grooves or drilled bits.

Interesting notion about the engine mount, but if this was the case, wouldn't the noise start as soon as the brakes were applied; even at higher speeds such as 45mph or even 60mph? He's adamant that the noise only starts around the 10mph-15mph margin and even then, it's only a few times each week.

t5 stealth
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 11:29
maybe its got a hard set of pads been fitted or something in the compound of the pad causing the problem,maybe only related to heat as you say its not all the time,maybe try fitting old pads back on it to try,unless it had the same problem with the old pads lol

Dacvolvo
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 11:33
maybe its got a hard set of pads been fitted or something in the compound of the pad causing the problem,maybe only related to heat as you say its not all the time,maybe try fitting old pads back on it to try,unless it had the same problem with the old pads lol

It's standard Volvo discs and pads that came off of it and it's standard Volvo discs and pads that have been replaced.

I'm stumped...

t5 stealth
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 11:38
maybe best to take it into your local garage & just ask one of the mechys to have a listen if you drive it up the road,he mite have a better idea if he can hear it

Dacvolvo
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 11:46
maybe best to take it into your local garage & just ask one of the mechys to have a listen if you drive it up the road,he mite have a better idea if he can hear it

Yeah, that's what I thought...

He'll be taking it to Volvo next week to get it checked out.

That'll teach him for not buying a T4! :snail:

dreadly
Monday 24th July 2006, 19:34
I asked if it was an Automatic as it may be a problem with the brake bands or oil pump... Expensive!!!

I would get all the bushes checked first though, more than likely a near-side bush as well, these seem to wear first on every car I have ever owned.

Dacvolvo
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:17
I asked if it was an Automatic as it may be a problem with the brake bands or oil pump... Expensive!!!

I would get all the bushes checked first though, more than likely a near-side bush as well, these seem to wear first on every car I have ever owned.

It's a manual. ;)

Is there anyway to check for the different bushes, or should he just forget checking it himself and sent it to Volvo for a morning?

dreadly
Tuesday 25th July 2006, 12:37
It's a manual. ;)

Is there anyway to check for the different bushes, or should he just forget checking it himself and sent it to Volvo for a morning?

You really need to get it up on a ramp for a good poke around...