PDA

View Full Version : More Pictures Of My V70

t5owner
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 11:40
Ok a few more pictures showing whats been happening to my V70 which is currently under going repairs to restore it to OEM specification

I`ll post up a list of whats been done and why when i get a chance to list everything and a running total of the cost so far

your welcome to post any coments or questions you may have

Cheers

stuart

T5ER
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 12:20
Looking better mate allready,best hurry up and get it ready for next sunday LOL

t5owner
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 15:21
Looking better mate allready,best hurry up and get it ready for next sunday LOL

Got no chance of that i`ll be turning up in the saloon mate

Cheers

stuart

Vikingxl
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 17:25
Looking good stu just have to get it all finished now mate!

T5ER
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 20:32
Got no chance of that i`ll be turning up in the saloon mate

Cheers

stuart
LOL thought you would be mate,have you done the wing on that yet

abdul
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 20:48
worth the wait

t5owner
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 11:55
LOL thought you would be mate,have you done the wing on that yet

No its still the rush job one on at the moment as i`ve been concentrating on my V70 plus trying to get the house finished (extension ) but i will get that wing done properly sometime this year

Cheers

stuart

T5ER
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 11:56
No its still the rush job one on at the moment as i`ve been concentrating on my V70 plus trying to get the house finished (extension ) but i will get that wing done properly sometime this year

Cheers

stuart
LOL why rush i still aint got my rear main done yet

t5owner
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 12:04
Well at least i`ve been keeping oliver busy while your off sick mate i bet the poor lads well pissed with me phoneing up every farts end to order something else

I`m gonna add up everything i`ve bought and all the bits still needed and then post up what i will have spent in total i reckon i`ve already saved about £600 in labour charges as i`m doing most of the work myself hence the fact progress is slow but sure

Cheers

stuart

T5ER
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 12:07
Well at least i`ve been keeping oliver busy while your off sick mate i bet the poor lads well pissed with me phoneing up every farts end to order something else

I`m gonna add up everything i`ve bought and all the bits still needed and then post up what i will have spent in total i reckon i`ve already saved about £600 in labour charges as i`m doing most of the work myself hence the fact progress is slow but sure

Cheers

stuart

I have been informed by Oliver that he is leaving next friday he has handed his notice in

t5owner
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 12:09
I have been informed by Oliver that he is leaving next friday he has handed his notice in

Are you serious ?

Mrsmopp
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 12:11

:shockedbi :eek: :cry: Nooooooo

x

t5owner
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 12:12
Wayne

Get in the chat room m8 i`m in there now

T5ER
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 12:38
:shockedbi :eek: :cry: Nooooooo

x
Fraid so.I am thinking of going for his job

T5ER
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 12:39
Are you serious ?
Yep i am serious matey this is not a joke honestly

T5ER
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 12:42
I am there matey

Vikingxl
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 17:22
Well i wish Oliver all the best after finally meeting him this week!

t5owner
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 18:53
Well i wish Oliver all the best after finally meeting him this week!

That goes for me too

I`ll be speaking to him on tuesday for what looks like the last time to pay for some more parts for my car so i best get the order in for the last bits i need before he leaves

Cheers

stuart

arbee
Sunday 23rd July 2006, 21:17
shame to see oliver go, top lad has helped me out a few times :) - his type are few and far between at main dealers in my experience (T5ER excepted lol)

back on topic tho - the bits are looking great Stuart, must be a real sence of achievement doing all this work yourself :)

t5owner
Monday 24th July 2006, 10:13
back on topic tho - the bits are looking great Stuart, must be a real sence of achievement doing all this work yourself :)

Yep i`m getting a real sence of pride from doing it myself although the wife doesn`t see it that way keeps mumbling about "HOW MUCH" and "MORE BITS"
but i just tell her the bits are needed to make the car safe for the kids and she tends to leave me alone

There is a trade off though and as of 30 th july i`ve got to spend my entire 3 weeks holiday redecorating the house and finishing off the extension so not much time to be doing the car

However for that i can spend what i need in order to get all the bits for the car ready for fitting at a later date so hopefully it will be back on the road in september

Cheers

stuart

Vikingxl
Monday 24th July 2006, 10:22
Just hurry up and get it finished i really want to see it in all its cream leather upholstered engine bayed glory!

t5owner
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:53
Just hurry up and get it finished i really want to see it in all its cream leather upholstered engine bayed glory!

F******************************************k orf

I`ll get you matey

Cheers

stuart

t5owner
Monday 24th July 2006, 14:27
A few more shots showing other new bits that have been fitted and some pics of a couple of older parts that were replaced the pics themselves show why they were replaced

Ho hum lesson learnt on this one never make an impulse buy

Cheers

stuart

t5owner
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 20:41
Well time marches on and so does the progress on the restoration of my car albeit slowly as i`m having to finish the house off during the day and then do a bit to my car before it gets too dark to see what i`m doing

A few more pics below including some of the parts that have been replaced

Cheers

stuart

t5owner
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 20:47
And a few more pics to the collection

I`ll be posting a comprehensive list of whats been replaced and why at a later date

Cheers

stuart

arbee
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 21:52
wow! doesnt help with the nights drawing in does it! :(

MattB
Wednesday 9th August 2006, 22:02
You are making good progress Stuart.
I have evidently missed the thread, but why have you had to do this?
Has the car been in a smash at somepoint??

t5owner
Thursday 10th August 2006, 13:20
You are making good progress Stuart.
I have evidently missed the thread, but why have you had to do this?
Has the car been in a smash at somepoint??

I bought the car from a forum member who told me it had been in an accident and was listed as a cat "D" loss with HPI but as far as he knew the car had suffered a minor ding with just some panel damage and was actually in daily use at the time

However after a bit of research by myself and with the help of wayne and oliver at marshalls i have since found out that the car was written off by an insurance company in 2004 as a category "D" total loss as they decided it was uneconomical to repair

As far as i can asertain the car has had a new o/s/f section welded in from the main chassis member near the bumper bracket as far back as the o/s/f suspension turret (check the earlier pics for this) basically the section is about 2 ft long and 2 ft high

The repair itself is to a very professional standard and was obviously done in a body shop as they had left one of the jig securing lugs in place (see pic of o/s/f old bumper bracket)

However most of the plastic parts on the o/s of the engine bay were reused even if they were broken i:e ecu box , cable conduit , expansion tank and water resevior with what i can only describe as diy attempts to repair some of the items also the air con condensor was reused however this was perforated and does not work

Alot of the mountings were also missing as well as various screws , nuts and bolts so i decided to strip down the complete front end of the car and rebuild it to original specification using mainly new parts

So thats whats happended so far and i`ve still got alot more to do yet

Cheers and thanks for your interest

Stuart

t5owner
Thursday 10th August 2006, 13:31
Ooops forgot to post any pics of the repaired section so here are a few for those who are interested

Cheers

stuart

lance
Thursday 10th August 2006, 13:32
You are doing a sterling job stu!
I feel for you mate with all the other Diy jobs you are doing too.

t5owner
Thursday 10th August 2006, 13:34
You are doing a sterling job stu!
I feel for you mate with all the other Diy jobs you are doing too.

Thanks lance

Almost done the house now so i`ll be able to get the car done a bit quicker i hope

Cheers

stuart

t5owner
Thursday 31st August 2006, 16:29
Ok another piccy of the motor much more has yet to be done

Currently working on the crankcase ventilation system (PCV) and also the aircon hoses

Next on the list is removal of the aux belt and then power steering pump , alternator and air con compressor so as i can see what that grimy deposit is near the thermostat housing and give the block a good clean before putting it all back together

Estimated completion time for the car up and running is about november

Cheers

stuart

t5owner
Tuesday 12th September 2006, 14:05
Ok a few more pics of the car still very much work in progress

I have decided to fit an additional auto tranny cooler whilst the rebuilding is in progress however i hit a slight snag when i attempted to remove the inlet hose from the top of the auto transmission sump the nut had corroded so badly it had pratically welded itself to the threaded sump screw and after about 3 days of soaking with wd40 the nut would still not move so i had to turn to plan "B" i was going to have to cut the nut off

I started by cutting the hose itself just before it bent to go into the sump and then cut the nut at 3 points on its facing edges being careful not to cut into the sump screw itself after about half an hour and a bit of wedging into the gaps made by the saw i managed to get the nut loose and then unscrewed it

Also in for replacement is the power steering high pressure hose as this was badly kinked at the point just before it screws into the power steering pump and having looked at it in detail the chances of bending the pipe back into shape without it breaking or splitting are about 15% so i have removed it also

See the attached pics for details

Cut off end of inlet hose
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/T5owner/INLETHOSESHOWINGCUTEND.jpg

Hose inlet to sump covered to stop ingress of dirt
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/T5owner/HOLEFORINLETHOSECOVEREDTOSTOPINGRES.jpg

The nut itself
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/T5owner/CUTOFFNUTFROMINLETHOSE.jpg

Power steering hose with kink just below the union nut
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/T5owner/POWERSTEERINGHOSESHOWINGKINKJUSTBEL.jpg

Cheers

stuart

t5owner
Tuesday 12th September 2006, 14:44
And a couple more showing the inlet manfold with pipe / hose connections now cleaned and polished

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/T5owner/PIC2MANIFOLDCONNECTIONSCLEANEDANDPO.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/T5owner/PIC1MANIFOLDCONNECTIONSNOWCLEANEDUP.jpg

And a shot of what they looked like before

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/T5owner/INLETMANIFOLDSHOWINGPIPEANDHOSECONN.jpg

Cheers

stuart

BlackBeast
Tuesday 12th September 2006, 16:03
Busy man, are you replacing the rubber O-ring at the bottom of the vacuum tree or didnt you take it off. Cant see from the pics.

t5owner
Tuesday 12th September 2006, 16:09
Busy man, are you replacing the rubber O-ring at the bottom of the vacuum tree or didnt you take it off. Cant see from the pics.

Steve,

Yep vac tree is off all O-rings will be replaced along with all gaskets that i have removed along the way

Estimated cost to finish the job and put car back on road is circa £2.5k

I`m gonna post up a list soon of everything done to date and what its cost so far in parts alone

No labour charge as it`s me doing all the work but i reckon i`ve saved nigh on £1.5k by doing it myself so far

Mmmm lots of overtime to do me thinks

Cheers

stuart

BlackBeast
Tuesday 12th September 2006, 16:54
Just read through the whole thread, great work mate, puts my koni prep and paint to shame lol. I shall look forward to that list of all the parts. Got a feeling that will take a while to write up aswell ;)

t5owner
Wednesday 13th September 2006, 11:08
Yeah i think it will,

I`ve got a database using office 2003 and i have 170 entries for parts required or already replaced alot of the stuff is minor things like nuts and bolts upto major items like the suzzy struts and various pipes/hoses basically everything i have done or will need to do to put the car back on the road as per my brief of returning it to OEM spec factory finish

Cheers

stuart