PDA

View Full Version : Replacing front disks

neevo
Thursday 20th July 2006, 16:20
Just how easy is it to replace the front disks on a 854 T5?
Do I need any special tools or will a socket set and lump hammer enough?
How long, roughly will it take?

I reckon it's just a cse of removing the wheel, moving the caliper assembly aside and taking the old disk off then reversing the procedure but is there a catch?

Not going for anything fancy so I take it standard German Swedish & French disks will suffice or is this a time when I'm best off getting volvo originals - I'm on a tight budget hence the desire to try it myself.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

T5ER
Thursday 20th July 2006, 16:28
You should be ok mate i think you only need the allen key to remove the caliper from the carrier itself

Dacvolvo
Thursday 20th July 2006, 17:45
http://www.freewebs.com/dacvolvo/brakediscsandpads.htm ;)

Baj
Friday 21st July 2006, 00:43
I have not yet removed a set of calipers where at least one bolt wouldnt undo :)

Give us a shout if you get stuck

neevo
Friday 21st July 2006, 09:44
Thanks for the help and advice, feel more confident about attacking the job now. Sorry for the late response, Tiscali decided to have network issues so I can only surf at work- nothing else to do today as we are waiting for parts :D

dreadly
Friday 21st July 2006, 09:58
Doing my P1 V70 Brakes T'other day, the rear calipers had seized/rusted etc...
Upon removal, the brake pipe split and the nu on the caliper rounded off.
I purchased a brake pipe flaring kit from EuroCarParts for £20 and my local 'AA' garage 'gave' me two 11mm replacement brake nuts to fit the calipers and I made a new pipe, it seemed like a nightmare job to begin with, but it was really easy and very satisfying to see the result.
I should have taken some photo's!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 21st July 2006, 11:46
I have a how 2 on changing the disks to 302 mm but the principle is the same. See the KB section on this site.

neevo
Thursday 27th July 2006, 10:43
I have a how 2 on changing the disks to 302 mm but the principle is the same. See the KB section on this site.

Saw that ta, am thinking that as the garage claim my noise is because the pads are moving due to the disks being worn that the shims you use for stopping the squeeling noise on braking might suit and be a lot cheaper and easier to fit!

Didn't get a chance to buy the disks as someone who owes me £70 didn't cough up when promised, might have to get a bit nasty soon :icon_soap

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th July 2006, 12:40
I have found the self adhesive shims to be very effective at eliminating squeal

Babybadger
Thursday 27th July 2006, 13:42
I have found the self adhesive shims to be very effective at eliminating squeal

When I had a guy fit my brakes (Brembo / Ferodo from VT), he said he couldn't get the self adhesive shims to fit! What do they stick to? the back of the pad? Does it affect the braking performance? Do they need copper grease splattered all over the place?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th July 2006, 13:54
The point is you have to use scissors to cut the rectangular shims to shape. It's not difficult. Only slightly tricky shape is the spring on the back of the inboard pad. I used a black and decker with a sanding attachment to sand down the back of the pad and shamfer the edge. Cleaned the back with brake cleaner and then stuck the pad on - no problem. I also used a small amount of copper slip (about a pea's worth) on the back of the newly attached shim.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th July 2006, 13:55
When I do my front pads I will add to the rear pad how 2 already available on the site