PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my AT!

MarkGolf
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 01:44
Tonight, I was simply driving home from the pub, with 2 mates of mine in the car, not driving hard at all, driving like a granny more like... Well, I came to a stop and put the car into neutral while i was waiting around, I then put it back into DRIVE and the car just didn't want to move, tried all gears, nothing! So turned the car off, left it for about 20 secs, then turned it on again... The car worked perfectly.
Just now, was coming around a corner and as I came round the car just lost all driving, a feeling ehich was like a slipping clutch on a manual.., again, pulled over and done the same process..
No lights or anything flashing up at me.. sometimes, in sport mode, the car would rev all the way to the redline and come downa bit and bounce straight back..
As teh car drives absolutley perfectly, an electronic problem just springs to mind, as if the ECU is just telling the box to go into neutral..

Im actually draining the fluid tomorrow and putting fresh new ATF in there, and also doing a full engine oil change.. Was doing tis anyway, but sort of in hope that a nice fluid change wil solve the box prob, lack of oil in there maybe?
If not, i hope its an electronic problem rather than something with the mechanics! Its only done this just now, no other times.. eeekkkkkkkkkk

Thanks

glock19
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 20:52
Most AT problems would prompt the orange arrow on the dash to come on first. It would be flashing then. The orange arrow is also lighted permanently when "3" is slected or WINTER mode is on.

MarkGolf
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 21:19
The light hasn't come on..

Someone said it could be to do with the transmission oil level..
Was meant to change it today, but im going to do it tomorrow, hopefully that'll sort it!

rich850t5
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 23:26
The light hasn't come on..

Someone said it could be to do with the transmission oil level..
Was meant to change it today, but im going to do it tomorrow, hopefully that'll sort it!did you not check the level mark,running low on oil will just burn the clutches out meaning a big bill

nobananas
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 23:39
Sounds like typical symptoms of low transmission fluid, You have got to ask yourself where it's gone because it shouldn't loose any fluid. Check your cooler hoses and unions and check the bellhousing area under the car for tell tale 'red' drips.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 00:41
As NB said you need to ensure that you don't have a leak. Dipstick for the AT is a Yellow one just near to the throttle body (nearside of the engine)

MarkGolf
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 01:09
The funnny thing is, I checked the fluid last weekend and it was fine, the cold level was where it should be, and after a lil 30 min drive, the hot fluid was where it should be! This week, it seems the cold fluid is UP! Im just thinking the fluid is just old and crusty, so giving it a change tomorrow, hopefully not much damage has occured!! My old man reakons there is a leak when the car is on a level surface, ona slight hill, there are no drips, I shall see when IM under it tomorrow! Is overdue a change anyway, the fluid is brown! Fingers crossed!

don98s90
Monday 3rd August 2015, 13:25
Hello Markgolf,

I am aware that your post is now them years old. I am interested in what you found. Did the fluid change solve the problem.

Don

Dangerous Dave
Monday 3rd August 2015, 18:34
I'm afraid it looks like Markgolf last visited here in 2006.

Perhaps post your problem up in a new thread? List your symptoms and maybe there is someone who can help?