PDA

View Full Version : Which discs? - QUick answer needed please

James Brown
Thursday 20th July 2006, 09:12
HI
I just bought Ferodo DS2500's and have been advised by the garage to get new discs at the same time. As far as I have seen there are 2 options in budget - Brembo from Volvotuning, or EBC do a grooved disc.

Does the grooved disc make any difference or is it a styling gimmick?

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/parts_disc.asp?part=disc&make=VOLVO&model=C70&year=2%2E3+Turbo+T5+%2897%2D%29#

Mrsmopp
Thursday 20th July 2006, 09:18
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10933&page=3&highlight=grooved I think the general concencous was that its just for prettiness

x

James Brown
Thursday 20th July 2006, 09:51
Thanks, I think I will go for the normal Brembo's

monkey_boy
Thursday 20th July 2006, 10:13
I have had grooved discs on other cars. Yes they look pretty but they have another advantage plus a disadvantage as well.

Forgive me if this is mentioned elsewhere....

Grooved discs are grooved to remove brake dust away from the disc/pad contact area faster supposedly improving surface contact. I doubt anything or anyone on earth could actually proove a difference.

Where it does help though is the grooves remove glasing fromt the pad surface substantialy reducing brake "squeel".

Down side to this is (depending on the pad),you can chew through brake pads.

So all you need to ask yourself is..Do i want a Volvo that chews up tyres and brake pads for breakfast :)

st1t5
Thursday 20th July 2006, 11:42
Iv got Black Diamond grooved discs on the front of my 21t which are just about worn now (thank god) and they are terrible ... iv never had brake fade but the noise the grooves make as they whizz through the pads when braking is something i could do without, and the harder i brake the louder the noise, just bought new standard discs today actually which are going back on shortly .... but i know guys that swear by them .... each to their own.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 20th July 2006, 11:46
zimmerman or brembo - both approx £30