PDA

View Full Version : troublesome aircon?

monkey_boy
Thursday 20th July 2006, 08:57
I recently had my aircon cleaned, lubricated and recharged. Now i have cool (not cold) air. Trouble is the pump is doing something odd. Well i think its odd.

I get 5 minutes of cool air and then the pump stops and i get a face full of outside air (when it was 35 degrees yesterday!) this lasts for about 30 minutes then the pump kicks back in. It doesnt matter if i switch it or leave it alone. it still wont switch back on until about 30 minutes later.

I took a look at the pump and saw these two things. why there is a terminal block i dont know but both wires go into the pump (as best i can see) but whats the other? It looks like a bullet connector with a shield around it. Any ideas?

oddjones
Thursday 20th July 2006, 09:55
Have you checked the pressure switch? see here (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t11919-p-interesting-ac-problemsolution.html)

monkey_boy
Thursday 20th July 2006, 10:08
Cool (no pun intended :) ). Just read through the thread. I'll give it a go. Cheers

NugentS
Friday 21st July 2006, 06:55
The other possibility is the clutch - if thats worn then it would show the same sort of symptoms that you are getting...

Sean

monkey_boy
Friday 21st July 2006, 09:43
My local dealer reckons its the aircon clutch. No options given only replacement at £600. They can keep it for that. I'm a little annoyed as they serviced the car 3 weeks ago and they said the car including aircon was 'A' ok. Depends on their take on the meaning if 'A' ok.

Interestingly it stayed on for over an hour this morning without stopping. why couldnt it do that in 30 degree heat when i needed :)

The Saint
Friday 21st July 2006, 13:35
I seem to be suffering with the same thing at the moment - it stays cool (lovely and cold in fct) until I get stuck in traffic and when the engine just seems to sit on idle for a few minutes, it goes warm and stays warm. I have to turn it off and wait till I'm moving again before turning it back on.

monkey_boy
Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 12:32
After arguing with my local dealer about their service on my car, they have agreed to pay the labour cost for fitting a replacement clutch....Trouble is there is a back order until 18th september for the parts!

Bigtony
Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 12:48
Hi lads

from working on my 850 I know that there is a male plug which connects to the bullet connector. It comes from the loom which runs in front of the rad, you cant miss it! try plugging that in and see if there is any difference. Be carful as there are two - one on the engine block below the starter and the other alongside the compressor

Rufe
Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 21:45
After arguing with my local dealer about their service on my car, they have agreed to pay the labour cost for fitting a replacement clutch....Trouble is there is a back order until 18th september for the parts!
somehow i dont think it will take that long, (seems excessive for a back order, but obviously they may know something i dont). we have had a run of compressors for a few different vehicles lately, with some of them taking longer than the usual same or next day delivery, longest one so far i have seen has been a total of 3 weeks from ordering, but that is exceptional for volvo.

give me until tomorrow (possibly lunch time if i can get on here then), and i shall double check to see what the delivery date is for your compressor fella, and make sure they have rushed the part properly. if they havent then you can contact customer services and get them involved, and they will be able to speed it up a bit. the problem lies in the fact that if they havent rushed the order, you may find the compressor will take even longer than they said, as lets say i need one, and i rush order it, i will jump ahead of you in the que. like i said though, they may be being straight with you, but hopefully i will be able to find that out for you ok. :)

monkey_boy
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 08:35
Nice one Rufe!

After being told initially just over a week and then having that changed to mid/end September after what i am guessing they twigged that they offered to pay the labour charges over an earlier dispute. I still think i am being messed about here.

Andrew
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 08:46
I seem to be suffering with the same thing at the moment - it stays cool (lovely and cold in fct) until I get stuck in traffic and when the engine just seems to sit on idle for a few minutes, it goes warm and stays warm. I have to turn it off and wait till I'm moving again before turning it back on.

Check your coolant level...

Rufe
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 13:38
well i had a brief look into this for you this monring.

i checked, and there was one available from Luton depot today, so if i ordered it when i checked, i would have been able to get it for this afternoon by about 3:00pm approx.

however, i checked, and it seems i actually ordered the exact same one of these yesterday for another customer of mine, and that one did have to come from sweden (so obviously luton got some stock in after i ordered that one yesterday). the one that is coming from sweden that i ordered for a customer i will have by the time i go back after lunch today.

our dealership is what they call a LDC dealer, so i am supplied by Bristol depot, who are in turn supplied by Luton, who are in turn supplied from Sweden. Many dealers are still on the old system where they are supplied from Daventry depot, so maybe Daventry are having problems this is dont know, though to be honest, i wouldnt have thought 6 weeks, not when Luton are able to supply, and sweden got one to me overnight, more than likely after yours had been ordered. the only thing i can suggest is that they have not 'rushed' this part, though they may use the defence that this is not keeping your car off the road, so there fore rushing this part may seem extreme. however, i feel that if you speak to volvo customer services and make a complaint to them about their delivery times (you dont need to blame the dealer, you can blame volvo themselves when you talk to them) there will be a good chance that they will step in and get it rushed a lot quicker. personally i cant see why it should take more than just a few days. by the way, for the record, i have checked for a 2000 model c70, and come up with part number 8603132.

i dont have the number to hand for volvo customer services, but if you phone your dealer and simply ask the person who answers the phone for it, they will give it to you.

monkey_boy
Friday 4th August 2006, 13:04
Again,
My thanks Rufe.

I too have contacted another dealer who only quoted 10 days delivery. I must therefore ring up my local dealer and ask why they are playing silly buggers. Maybe there is a valid reason..But i am stumped for it at the moment.

Thanks for the hard work mate. Your a star