PDA

View Full Version : More Help Needed

Bigtony
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 21:07
Hi guys

Major problems, the starter is ok, I jacked up the car all the gears turn selection is ok. BUT............BIG BUT...the bloody engine wont turn!!! :icon_soap I have even tried turning it with a socket andf extentios and it wont budge :cussing:

It turned whlie I was putting on the flywheel and gear box but just wont budge now!! Does this mean I have to take it back out? Is there any other reason at all which would stop the engine from turning??

I need advice please help!!!!

Tomcat
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 21:09
Remove the starter and try and turn it over by hand again, maybe the starters locked up on the flywheel.

ragtop
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 21:13
Hi
with the car turned off, put it in gear and rock the car and then try it

Bigtony
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 21:22
Thanks lads will try that now!!

Bigtony
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 21:32
Tried rocking the car in gear but it just runs free - as though its in neutral regardless of the gear even does it in reverse.

Tomcat
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 22:25
er...what exactly have you done to the car?, I haven't been keeping up with the forum lately so I don't know. Was it a clutch swap or an engine out job?, can you turn the engine over by hand with the front wheels off the ground?. You need to check everything out first before we can make some assesment of what it could be mate.

What was wrong with the car before, what have you done to repair it, what have you tried.

Soz if you've already explained all this, its been a REALLY LOOOONG day mate.

Bigtony
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 22:54
Ok.. the story goes I changed the engine due to having a spun shell in the old one. The engine I bought is from a manual 850. I changed the flywheel and gearbox bolted them togethr on the ground then fitted the new lump. At the time of chaning the flywheel the engine turned easily without problem, I cannot really remeber trying to turmn the engine after putting the gearbox on.....maybe I should have. But it all fitted bang on so i thought that there would be no problem. I had problems fitting the fanbelt as i borrow a hopist and had to lift the engine in before fitting the air con, alternator etc...so the fan belt gave me some trouble.

So here I am ready to start up but nothing happens, the starter is ok, jack the car off the ground and the gearbox will go throughits paces - without the engine being turned, place it on the wheels and no matter what gear you are in except park the car runns freely without the engine turning. Maybe due to it being an auto the engine is not designed to turn with the gear box without starting the car....I dont know catching straws here!

So thats the story so far.

Bigtony
Wednesday 19th July 2006, 09:35
Up-date

I have just been told that when attaching the talk converter it should be pushed right up until it kind of locks in place, it should still turn but be quite tight - I don't think I have done this my converter went on easily - this mechanic also said that if the converter was not placed correctly then it wouls sit on a spline and lock the engine, you would still be able to turn the gear box as it would remain free.

Can anyone second this info, I really do not want to tale this engine back out if I do not have to.

Bogtony

nobananas
Wednesday 19th July 2006, 19:15
Hi BT, sorry to hear about you're woes. Firstly you cannot turn over the engine fitted with an auto by pushing the car in gear so don't worry about that not working. Secondly it does sound to me like you've locked up the torque convertor. I can't comment on the set up in the 850 but whenever I have had a box out on an auto you usually unbolt the torque convertor from the flywheel through the starter motor hole and leave it on the gearbox and not remove the box leaving the convertor on the engine as it is very difficult to put the box back on sliding the torque convertor neck into the gearbox and ensuring that the splines inside line up and slot together without damaging anything, torque convertors can be easily damaged if forced together and often the damage is internal and not noticable (I am unfortunatly talking from experience here !) Just a thought, was the rear of the crank on you're new engine identical to you're old as it is not uncommon for them to be slight differences between the two, again I'm sure someone on here will be able to put you're mind at ease over this. Is it possible for you to unbolt the gearbox and slide it apart without removing it to see if the engine turns when the gearbox is disengaged from it ?

Bigtony
Thursday 20th July 2006, 14:41
Thanks for this mate - I have organised a truck to pick up the car and get it to my cousins garage. I will be working on it throughout saturday and sunday and hope to have it running by sunday eve. Luckily I do have a spare converter just in case I have damaged this one.

Will let you know how I get on - again much thanks for the advice.