PDA

View Full Version : 2007 VPCUK National Meet

Matt30462
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 17:57
As the title says, a big National meet up.
We are now big enough, just look on the first page, nearly 2000 members. Of course some are not about anymore, some are not available. Next year we are going to try and have a National Meet Up. No arguments as to venue, no arguments as to date etc. It's a years notice so everyones diary can have a space allocated. Once decisions are made, that will be it. Members will have to decide if they want to come or not on the dates and at the venue given. Every attempt to make these details accessable to as many as possible will be considered but no matter when or where is decided some people will sadly have to be disappointed.

We will obviously be fixing a date, it will be when kids are off school or a long weekend, whichever is more practical.
Attempts will be made to get discounted accomodation for a block booking, probably a caravan park, with camping facilities for those that prefer.

Monies (at least a deposit) will have to be paid up front when details are sorted, you are not commiting to anything yet. However please be sure you want to come if you put your name down at the eventual time of booking as deposits will possibly be none refundable.

Ok, Here starts a provisional list.

1. Matt30462 + 3
2. JudgeNinja + 2
3. Rufe +1
4. Big Tony
5. T5ER +

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:13
Ok, Here starts a provisional list.

1. Matt30462 + 3
2. JudgeNinja + 2 (camping)

Cool Never been there...

Rufe
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:13
small point mate, not arguing, but worth checking. i thought pendine sands was now closed off to cars??? can you confirm if its still open to cars? (heard a rumour from some locals that its now closed off to public) if not its an awesome place for a large meet

sounds good to me anyway. i am there! :D

1. Matt30462 + 3
2. JudgeNinja + 2 (camping)
3. Rufe +1

T5ER
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:16
bit to far off for me to confirm yet plus i am now very very skint, alot can happen in that amount of time

Rufe
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:18
actually, in the first link i posted above it states

"I have been informed that due to a few irresponsible people parking on the beach is no longer allowed."

have we anyone local able to confirm this for certain? if you want i can try to find out, as i know some people down that way.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:22
Parking is banned on our beach in Rhosneigr, Anglesey...but people still do it....

Vikingxl
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:23
Im scared of sand!

T5ER
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:24
Im scared of sand!
LOL even more so now without the longboat

Rufe
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:36
i thought it had been physically closed off to cars there. didnt want to take the thread off a tangent as matt said location not to be discussed, but thought this was worth mentioning.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:36
Parking is banned on our beach in Rhosneigr, Anglesey...but people still do it....You can't organise a National meet at a venue you may not be allowed on. Tbh i think its too far for ALL to be expected to travel. I would say Billing Aquadome is far more accessible, has camping, bars, etc.....:icon_soap

Matt30462
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:37
Bo**o*ks.

It appears that there IS now a ban. That scuppers that idea. Yet another blow at the car driver.
Back to the drawing board. Some editing will be required on the first post but we will push ahead regardless and explore another venue. Perhaps Ainsdale near Southport. Car parking on the beach is allowed but racing is frowned upon.

Still, the main thing is to have a BIG meet.

Watch this space.

T5ER
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:52
cromer,hunstanton,skeggy,blackpool,whitby bay,billing is very good thought as said by tds3

Vikingxl
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:53
Does this mean no handbrake turns from the wobbly one?

T5ER
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:55
no fooling about at all were ever we go i think disipline should be the order of the day

Vikingxl
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:55
no fooling about at all were ever we go i think disipline should be the order of the day
Perv!

T5ER
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 19:01
Perv!
LOL you can talk!!!!

Matt30462
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 19:01
Contacted Billing and they will be sending some details. It does appear to have alot to offer. The only thing that concerns me is the social thing. I was thinking of a mini weekender thing where we all stayed in the same place and had a BIG Night Out after all the car fun, slept "on site", sobered up and went home the day after.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 19:16
I've never been to Billing, but the main consideration has to be fairness of travel for all, i know it has a bar etc, supermarket, BBqs etc...or look at such as Donington Park, easy access for every one.

Justin
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 19:16
Great idea, something i was planning to talk to the area co ordinators about soon, so you have beat me to it.

It needs to be huge, keep me posted please Matt ;)

T5ER
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 19:17
could allways see about rockingham raceway aswell???

T5ER
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 19:19
santa pod i also/could be a option they have camping aswell

Matt30462
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 19:46
Santa Pod we can do during the year. Rockingham, I would think it's very expensive, just 1 days driving to share with hopefully a few hundred OvLovers and god knows what the insurance would cost.
The event is intended to be a family fun weekend. Somewhere nice if poss', a few fun competitions if we can, a serious night out with entertainment if available, cheapish would be preferable, staying overnight would ensure this was a major event rather than the usual meet-up. It's at least a year away, there would be plenty of time for peeps to arrange around it. The venue will never please everyone neither will the date, but we want as many members to attend as is possible. These are just ideas at the moment, maybe it's just not viable, who knows?
All meets tend to get over complicated when dates and ideas are open to discussion. Let's try and keep it as simple as possible. I appreciate that without confirmed details it is difficult but let's use this thread to gauge who and how many would be interested in principal.

T5ER
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 20:12
Providing its family orientaitedish then were ever we can really mate,might borrow my mates caravan but hey more ideal for my kids than a tent,shame about your first choice mate looked good to me.

Matt30462
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 20:26
Updated the first post as original venue not available.

Tomcat
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 21:05
Can I just add..........Oi!!!, get yer own idea's and stop knicking mine,Lol!

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10675&highlight=camping

Bigtony
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 21:21
[QUOTE=Matt30462]Santa Pod we can do during the year. Rockingham, I would think it's very expensive, just 1 days driving to share with hopefully......

Lads where is the list?? I will make even if i do not have a volvo or still aint got mine on the road!!

arbee
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 22:28
i vote billing - as i have done numerous times before! if you need a hand with this Matt I'd be more than happy to help :) - well, we'll see how Trax goes anyhow lol

Justin
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 22:31
With that in mind Arbee, can the area co ordinators liase with Matt on this, and basically back him up. Matt if you need anything shout :)

BlackBeast
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 22:35
and basically back him up. Matt if you need anything shout :)

Aye, what the gimp overlord said :) :saythat:

Justin
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 22:38
Oh about time safety cam blackbeastie, its your backyard they are talking about :) :haha:

Vikingxl
Wednesday 19th July 2006, 10:01
Oh about time safety cam blackbeastie, its your backyard they are talking about :) :haha:

F*****G RIGHT!

Andrew
Wednesday 19th July 2006, 10:23
In principal I'll come and bring the wife and sprogs.
I'll help organise if you need it etc.

stuAWD
Wednesday 19th July 2006, 11:21
A gauging response: -
Am comin am comin am comin---------------------to the national meet.

Matt30462
Friday 21st July 2006, 08:55
Just a little update on how things are coming along. Nothing cast iron as yet but, I have emailed several coastal holiday companies regarding special rates for a weekender. So far the few guestimates I can offer are not exactly opening many doors. We really do need some input on here from those that would probably be interested. Then we can have some realistic figures to offer these people.
Possibilities so far are as follows:

Date/s First or last weekend of September 2007.
Venue/s Coastal Holiday Park (Butlins/Pontins/Haven/Parkdean). Also aiming for camping to keep Judge happy.
Weekend or Day ticket availability. Trying to get arrivals from Friday night for those interested.

Would try and get a mobile Dyno at additional cost if enough interest.
Day of fun and games on the Saturday.
Parks offer onsite refreshment and catering facilities, plus added bonus of accomodation onsite after we all leave the bar a little worse for wear.

Contingency plans also in the offing for a one day meet should the above not happen.

If some of the above is of interest to you, register your interest on here now. The more names we get, the better chance we have of obtaining special rates.

S70T5Chris
Friday 21st July 2006, 09:08
I'm well up for it, so you can can put me down as a definate, probably plus 1. But could be more, know for definate once we've got some details.

I live down in Southampton, but I don't mind where ever we go in the country if it's a weekender.

Chris.

After_Shock
Friday 21st July 2006, 09:22
Very good idea, I think mobile dyno's etc will just complicate things and after 10pints no one will be able to use it.

Just set a date and stick with that one, however as mentioned try and pick the location fairly, dont go somewhere on the south coast as theirs alot of members up north and in scotland aswell so keep it in the middle of the country even if on one of the coasts.

Cueball_MOB
Friday 21st July 2006, 09:29
Count me in too - it'll be me +4.

I've also got Tara's cousin, Dale, picking up his V70 T5 ex-plod this morning so he'll be up for it with his family (him +4). He was so impressed with mine he just had to have one! He'll be joining VPCUK once he gets back on-line.

Many thanks to those who have taken on the responsibility of organising the meet, if you need any help just holler.

Once it's all sorted would it be beneficial in advertising the 'National Meet' by sending posters/flyers to places such as VT?

Cheers

Cue

DONKEYT5
Friday 21st July 2006, 09:32
count me in, im all for it as long as people behave and dont tarnish the vpcuk reputation!!
don-t5 +1(1/2)!!

arbee
Friday 21st July 2006, 09:56
Matt what sort of numbers are you guestimating?

Realistically I would have thought around 20-40 cars and upto double that in terms of people. Camping is fun but obviously not everyone will have a tent or will want to suffer the hardship of canvas! Its hard to get people to commit to something that long away so i wouldn't worry about specific accurate numbers at this stage. Mobile dynos etc are a nice idea but probably wouldnt be practical / financially worthwhile.

IMO - Somewhere coastal would be cool but not essential, nearby a decent nightout would be beneficial (not essential- think BBQs and beer...) and fairly central north/south. Once a few options are available we can take a vote in a poll :)

chriskay
Friday 21st July 2006, 09:59
I'll be up for it, as long as there's a bed; I need my comforts these days.
Cheers, Chris.

Matt30462
Friday 21st July 2006, 10:54
Ref arbee's post. "Coastal would be nice but not essential". Absolutely right, I would love to say OK everyone let's all meet up slap bang in the middle of the countryso no one has to drive more than a couple of hours. Then everyone can have some fun and go home. However, reallity is somewhat different. Although I can't be sure! I suspect a National Meet could attract many members and families, these hopefully would be drawn from all corners of the Kingdom. It makes sense to hold it somewhere where those that do have to travel can make use of the offered accomodation without having to piss in a bucket in a field (for those of you that enjoy that....no offence). Likewise for those that would be bringing kids, how long can you maintain a five year olds attention with sizes of brake calipers? Both problems are rectified with for example Butlins, Skegness. In June, we had a great turn-out to Wobbly's BBQ, a great day out, we all agreed. Now that was fine for Justin, Wobbly, Steve and Moppy etc,etc who live a few miles away or could get a taxi or who's wife was driving. Great night-time fun and frollicks with loads of Stella Artois. The remainder were stuck with Coke and a 100+ mile journey home. This is not intended to be a local, let's inspect each others strut braces thing but a National everyone from everywhere FUN weekend. Personally, although there will be exceptions, I feel that, with a years notice and the probability that this would be THE biggest event of the calendar and not just some pub car park meet, the venue is fairly unimportant as to it's geograpic location. Although having said that, we would not expect a member in Aberdeen, to have to drive to Newquay. My thoughts are, just about everyone could manage to get enough petrol and time together so they can put a weekend on the coast in their diary for 2007.
Why not make it 200 cars and 500 people. Or maybe just a few less.

Mrsmopp
Friday 21st July 2006, 12:52
Totally agree Matt,

No one is asking people to turn up on a monthly basis to the end's of the earth, just one weekend out of a whole year to travel a couple of hundred miles at most (depending on where you live). This whole north v south thing is just silly - people from the south wont travel further than the midlands cos then "its not fair" and people from the north wont travel further down than the midlands cos again "its not fair" (not all of you I hasten to add). If you're not interested in going thats fine, no one is going to force you, but daft excuses of "its not fair" are pointless - just dont put your name down!!

Matt, choose a venue (where ever that may be as the people who want to attend WILL travel for a once in a year weekender), choose a date and we'll make it sticky so its here for the next 12 months for all to see!!

I look forward to the progress - oh and anyone complaining from this point onwards that it is too far north or too far south the message will be deleted!

x

JUDGENINJA
Friday 21st July 2006, 13:18
The centre of the country is still a 3-4hour drive depending on traffic...it's probably more for the Scotish members and god forbid we actually get one our Irish contributors, they'd be looking to use their summer holidays just to get there...

I'm looking forward to the invite to somewhere obscure......bring it on..(if I can keep my licence that long :mischievo )

PS- just in case---- I'm in...

Matt30462
Friday 21st July 2006, 13:24
Bloomin' Nora!!!!!!!!:scared: :nono: :yikes: :finger:

I'm bricking it here and I'm one of the good guys. Steve you lucky, lucky man, I love a dominant woman.

OPTION B

Steve you poor thing you, is she that aggressive all the time?

arbee
Friday 21st July 2006, 14:32
ok - my votes -

Billing (for facilities)

Blackpool (for coastal fun and kiss me quick hats)

T5ER
Friday 21st July 2006, 17:26
I look forward to the progress - oh and anyone complaining from this point onwards that it is too far north or too far south the message will be deleted!

x
Oh and dont forget to far east or to far west either :sorry: i can feel a :troutslap coming my way

After_Shock
Friday 21st July 2006, 18:05
With regards to location its probably not viable as you say to get it slap bang in the middle of the country however having it right down south as im sure it will be will put alot of people off, its a 3 hour drive in very light traffic to santa pod from the North East so no idea how long the scottish lot or the people in the north west would have to travel.

Alot of people would probably have no issues getting a few days off work, im not sure about other people but I only get 20days holidays, 2 weeks and a couple of days off for holidays abroad leaves only a few days left which if need to spend time in the house or anything leaves me with days off only to play with which is 2 some weeks and 1 most others so a day to travel down means would be totally knackered by time get home the following night and if its a full weekend job will miss out on the fun on the second night! So location and minimising travelling to around 3 hours would be ideal, maybes just me but others could be in the same boat.

stuAWD
Friday 21st July 2006, 18:16
Me & me missus, wherever (mind you, I'm goin to be fussy, and say in the UK) :haha: whenever.

Matt30462
Friday 21st July 2006, 18:31
There appears to be some misinterpretation here. Because I live down south does not mean I am looking down South. In fact, I have been going out of my way to avoid the South Coast.
I fully intend to find as reasonable location as is possible, on a reasonable budget, my current selection process is asking around East/West Coastal, mid-country. Therefore South Yorks, Lincs, North Wales and Lancs are being bombarded with emails. As it happens, we have been offered Camber Sands in Sussex, at the moment though I have thanked them for their efforts and told them I am looking at further north, but will keep it in mind. Quite honestly I am beginning to wish I never mentioned the whole bloody thing. It appears that unless some people can camp out on there own lawns, they refuse to go anywhere, some people just want to make waves.

Mrsmopp
Friday 21st July 2006, 18:53
There appears to be some misinterpretation here. Because I live down south does not mean I am looking down South. In fact, I have been going out of my way to avoid the South Coast.
I fully intend to find as reasonable location as is possible, on a reasonable budget, my current selection process is asking around East/West Coastal, mid-country. Therefore South Yorks, Lincs, North Wales and Lancs are being bombarded with emails. As it happens, we have been offered Camber Sands in Sussex, at the moment though I have thanked them for their efforts and told them I am looking at further north, but will keep it in mind. Quite honestly I am beginning to wish I never mentioned the whole bloody thing. It appears that unless some people can camp out on there own lawns, they refuse to go anywhere, some people just want to make waves.

Now do you see why i was a little harsh earlier? I know where you are coming from having started (but never finished) organising "national" meets in the past. Every time you put a suggestion forward someone has to put the negatives on it, the wole "yes But...." thing really annoys me as its not constructive.

As I said those that want to attend will travel, Steve and i will be there where ever it is

x

Mrsmopp
Friday 21st July 2006, 18:55
With regards to location its probably not viable as you say to get it slap bang in the middle of the country however having it right down south as im sure it will be will put alot of people off, its a 3 hour drive in very light traffic to santa pod from the North East so no idea how long the scottish lot or the people in the north west would have to travel.

Alot of people would probably have no issues getting a few days off work, im not sure about other people but I only get 20days holidays, 2 weeks and a couple of days off for holidays abroad leaves only a few days left which if need to spend time in the house or anything leaves me with days off only to play with which is 2 some weeks and 1 most others so a day to travel down means would be totally knackered by time get home the following night and if its a full weekend job will miss out on the fun on the second night! So location and minimising travelling to around 3 hours would be ideal, maybes just me but others could be in the same boat.

Who said anything about the south coast? And did I not say the anyone who moans about it being too far north or too far south would have their post deleted!!??

x

T5ER
Friday 21st July 2006, 19:11
Matt if you had it in gottenburg i would be there mate i honestly dont care were it is as we will travel,I will get a baby sitter for the kids and bring a tent for me and the misses,even if you calculated were the furthest north member was and then the furthest south member was and calculated it so it was exactly in the middle for both somebody would moan,obviously some members are not as enthusiastic or dedicated to this as others are.But were ever you decide mate we will be there

Matt30462
Friday 21st July 2006, 19:27
Tomcat, clear your PM box! If you get a chance PM me will ya?

Tomcat
Friday 21st July 2006, 19:54
Made a bit of room.......try again

fraz13
Friday 21st July 2006, 20:23
This is a joke, Just organise it Matt, if they wanna come they will, if they wanna moan about location then sod 'em...... See ye there, get ma name down...... I can vouch for at least Titch, Bubba, kdst5, craigk and the rest will all make the effort for a big weekend, Were not scared of a bit of travelling ;)

Matt30462
Friday 21st July 2006, 20:29
Hey, panic over, I've taken one of my happy pills again. And I might have made a nice new friend too.

S70T5Chris
Friday 21st July 2006, 20:39
As I said before mate, I'm happy to go anywhere. I think if we can pull this off and organise a weekend event for members from all over the country, it'll be wicked.

If some people kick up a fuss for whatever reason, then don't worry about 'em! There's already been a number of people who have said they'll definately make it regardless of where the meet will be, they are the only people you need to worry about!

If there is anything you think you might need help with, give me a shout, i'm happy to chip in.

Chris.

After_Shock
Friday 21st July 2006, 21:37
Everyone calm down, I wasnt moaning simply just making a statement but sorry for any input.

After_Shock
Friday 21st July 2006, 21:39
Who said anything about the south coast? And did I not say the anyone who moans about it being too far north or too far south would have their post deleted!!??

x

The south coast was an extreme example and so you did so delete away.

Matt30462
Monday 24th July 2006, 22:52
Okeedokey, some progress but for every step forward there's one backward. I have had some contact back from a couple of possible venues, however I keep running into the same old problem. I can't get cast iron info ( pricing,availability etc) unless I can give further details ref date and most importantly numbers. To this end, I require a mod or some clever person to arrange a thread (sticky if possible) that can be accessed by those who are interested, to LIST their interest. Then at some point, I will be able to guesstimate a fairly accurate number who wish to attend. As a target, the date is likely to be the weekend of September 7th or 28th 2007. Again the venue is not decided prior to numbers but Camber Sands, Sussex have already expressed an interest. For all those further OOP north, we are looking to go higher as preference.

So back to the point, can someone with the ability, reply to this post in an effort to get this going.

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 22:55
Matt, start a new thread up detailing what you need from people and I will make it a sticky and monitor it taking off anything irrelevant to keep it on track

x

Matt30462
Monday 24th July 2006, 22:56
Matt, start a new thread up detailing what you need from people and I will make it a sticky

x
What about making an easy read list?

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 22:57
What about making an easy read list?

In what sence?

x

Matt30462
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:05
In what sence?

x

Is it possible for interested parties to just add their name to a list? Then we can just look to see how many we have.

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:07
All I can offer is setting up a new thread where peeps just add a yes and for how many which I will moderate to remove anything other than what's required?

x

Matt30462
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:11
OK, that will have to be it then. Mind you, I've seen lists before. For example Wobbly's BBQ. Is it done with constant editing?

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:14
OK, that will have to be it then. Mind you, I've seen lists before. For example Wobbly's BBQ. Is it done with constant editing?

Essentially yes, everytime someone put their name down the first post is updated to show the list

x

arbee
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:44
I'll post here, just to keep the other thread tidy - its also an idea to stick a link in your sig (as demo'd by moi) for added publicity :)

thunderace
Tuesday 25th July 2006, 10:15
would children or pets be allowed

just a straight yes or no, then i can make the nescessary arrangements :)

Matt30462
Tuesday 25th July 2006, 10:21
would children or pets be allowed

just a straight yes or no, then i can make the nescessary arrangements :)

Certainly children, indeed we are trying to make children compulsory The whole thing is hopfully going to be a "family" weekend, with cars. As for pets, many of the parks allow pets, however until the venue is finally decided, this remains only a maybe.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 25th July 2006, 23:22
I'll be bringing a kid..... and my son will be coming to keep me in line...!!!!:haha: water pistols at dawn..!!!!!

LONG LIVE THE VPCUK national meet...!!!! (wherever and whenever it is)

PS - if you need any help let me know....

arbee
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 15:05
Just a thought, i know dates will never suit everyone but early Sept may clash with Trax next year, depending on which date is chosen - worth considering?. Why not August for the 'national'?

Matt30462
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 15:33
It's a good point arbee and not one that hasn't been considered.

Should this come off, we will be looking at a caravan park as you know, the reasons having been discussed earlier in the thread.
The reason for the suggested dates are.

Slightly out of season, without being in the middle of Winter, therefore climate may be ok. Who want's to be at Bridlington in December????

As it would be after peak season, we should have a better chance of getting a good deal. May through to August is peak period, therefore peak prices. I am trying to avoid asking " who wants to come to the meet, ok, that will be £120.00 each please."

Linked to the above but as an addition, is the probability that, these parks will be fairly empty at this period. However, with large numbers looking for food, drink, amusements etc, they are likely to consider letting the accomodation at a very low price. Whilst boosting their takings from the bars and restaurants. In the case of caravans, they owners are often happy to "let them out" for just the cost of the ground rent.

I am not made of money, so the suggestion of just after August payday, or immediately before September's, fits my personal cash flow and probably many other's.

I hope this answers the question. Of course we will probably build in some flexibility before final booking but there is of course a chance that some may have to make a choice between two events.

arbee
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 18:36
absolutely no reason why it shouldn't come off :) personally I'm easy over any month / date etc, tho i wouldnt miss trax i guess!

Matt30462
Wednesday 26th July 2006, 19:01
Although not promised, it certainly appears that early Sept might be free for you anyway matey. The parks I have contacted are indicating later the better.
Questions are good so keep them coming. I will answer whatever I can. Eventually though some people are going to be disappointed.

Anyway just a little update, Park Resorts @ Cleethorpes are sending more info,they have already offered Camber Sands. Parkdean have offered Pendine as an option. Haven, Butlins and Pontins are yet to reply.

As far as the confirmed venues go so far, I am leaning toward Cleethorpes or South Yorkshire purely because of it's central position. September 28th is becoming the preferred date which is a Friday, therefore I think we can pencil this in now. There seems very little option for Saturday/Sunday only. As for prices, no one appears to be prepared to say before a sensible number of attendee's is offered, with this in mind, I would request everyone who would like to come,to put their names down on the "No Obligation" thread. If we can get 100-200+ people we will have serious clout. I don't think that number is out of the question as we have over 50 already and a total membership of nearly 2000.

Cueball_MOB
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:28
Is there any mileage in inviting the local plod to send one of their T5's to join us.

Matt - at least this got the subject back in the 'new posts' section LOL

Cheers

Cue

Matt30462
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:31
As title says, some of the things churning round my bonce. Comments are welcomed. Good or bad.

VPCUK National Meet-Up

Notes

VENUE:
Ideally somewhere with or very close to accommodation/entertainment. Obvious choice being Caravan Holiday Park, though these tend to be coastal, therefore some members will be aversed to travel.
Option 2. Event holder like Billing but reduces event to single day or camping.

DATE:
For financial reasons thought September would be advantageous as accommodation could well be cheaper. Plus families would probably have had holidays already.

DURATION:
Ideally Sat/Sun overnighter allowing for family fun experience and good old knee’s-up after car activities.
Option 2 is single day event.

ADMISSION FEE:
Dependant on cost of accommodation and “hired” entertainment, facilities. But will offer 1, Full Weekender Ticket.( also dependant on accommodation type ie. Caravan/Camping. 2,Day Ticket.

CONSIDERATIONS:
Profit? Are we allowed to make a profit? If so, where does it go?
Public Liability Insurance. If we have activities, is it required?

EVENTS:
Hire of Mobile Rolling Road/Dyno. £125.00 plus mileage from Sheffield. Owner charges £35.00 per session. Maybe an option if advertised as possible dependant on prior booking. Although must check with park owners.
No longer considered as dyno was for bikes and not read well enough.

Trailer Course or Caravan if someone willing to offer the use of. (check insurance)
Formula 1 Tyre Change (safety issues)
Members Auto Jumble
Best Car etc
Mini Driving Course for kiddies (find a member with a cart, safety issues)
Big Photo Shoot. ( see how much an aerial photo costs)
General Fun and games is available at Park, swimming, football, bouncy castle, amusements, putting etc.

GUESTS:
Marshall Volvo – Spares
Local Volvo Dealership (New ‘R’, XC etc)
Local Constabulary (Police T5, flashing lights for the kids)
AA/RAC/Greenflag. (If 200 turn up, may be attractive to them)

JO5EPH
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:38
Just adding a comment that may have already been discussed....

...Could you get a big massive Volvo lorry for the 'kids'. And me :D

Andrew
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:43
Matt - contact Justin - many of these sites have the ability to send out a newsletter or maildrop to all members. Many may have registered but don't visit often - if Justin can send this out you may get a lot more response than hopeing someone sees the thread.

Matt30462
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:48
Matt - contact Justin - many of these sites have the ability to send out a newsletter or maildrop to all members. Many may have registered but don't visit often - if Justin can send this out you may get a lot more response than hopeing someone sees the thread.

I had thought of this Andrew but I was considering that without confirmed details it maybe jumping the gun somewhat. However if the big man thinks it's viable at this stage,whayhey......go for it.

Cueball_MOB
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:48

What about a fire-engine? I've got friends in the FBU that might be able to help with this.

Is it worth contacting Volvo? (Justin's domain methinks)

Cheers

Cue

Matt30462
Monday 31st July 2006, 21:50

Why not! How about a big excavator too?

Tomcat
Monday 31st July 2006, 22:26
ER....I neglected to put my name down.... Me plus the Mrs and the little un!!

N Gauge Modeller
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 08:58
You can't organise a National meet at a venue you may not be allowed on. Tbh i think its too far for ALL to be expected to travel. I would say Billing Aquadome is far more accessible, has camping, bars, etc.....:icon_soap
I agree. When we used to have Rover SD1'S we used to have a met at Billing...totally suitable for this kind of meet. I'm in if it's there.

Matt30462
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 13:12
I agree. When we used to have Rover SD1'S we used to have a met at Billing...totally suitable for this kind of meet. I'm in if it's there.

Billing is no longer on the agenda unless, we have a major SNAFU on the venue. It was considered though, as it holds many of these type of things. However the direction this meet is going is to make a family weekend event, with accomodation. Billing as far as I know (they did not seem to willing to impart information without accurate figures) do not have the facilities on site that were required at the time.

Andrew
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 14:27
Billing is no longer on the agenda unless, we have a major SNAFU on the venue. It was considered though, as it holds many of these type of things. However the direction this meet is going is to make a family weekend event, with accomodation. Billing as far as I know (they did not seem to willing to impart information without accurate figures) do not have the facilities on site that were required at the time.

Matt - do we have a venue being considered at the moment ?

Matt30462
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 16:18
Current favourite is Thorpe Park, Cleethorpes. Cueball is visiting today/tomorrow to see what the facilities are like. If possitive feedback, all we will need is a VERY favourable price from them and that will be all the hard work done. Just working out all the fun and games from then on.

Andrew
Thursday 3rd August 2006, 16:25
Cool - I'll make the journey

madness
Sunday 6th August 2006, 20:37
what the???? i just posted here and the same post came up twice

billing is a definate no from me

waste of time

Justin
Sunday 6th August 2006, 21:34
Right, i have just sat and caught up on this thread and the endless discussions on venue etc.

Matt, cleethorpes is fine, if thats where YOU decide :)

Police T5 has some merit, not a bad idea, as for a fire engine, if they can spare one yes but whats the relevance or are we just talking kids entertainment ?

I will contact Volvo and discuss involvement with this, as and when we have a date and venue set in stone, however to be perfectly honest I'm sure they are already aware of it as certain individuals at Volvo UK read ALL of the forum posts on a daily basis. (I just know) ;)

So Matt, whatever it takes, i am extremely busy at the moment as i am hopefully launching my second company, however, if you need anything.....!

Guys and Gals, this will be worth the trip whatever the distance from you, the core members of this site that meet on a regular basis make any meet magnificent, dont be shy....GET YOUR NAMES DOWN !!!!!

Good job Matt ;)

dreadly
Sunday 6th August 2006, 22:04
Is there any mileage in inviting the local plod to send one of their T5's to join us.

Matt - at least this got the subject back in the 'new posts' section LOL

Cheers

Cue

Yea, lets invite the dorset police camera partnership to photo us all too ;)

Sorry! - I'll get me coat!

arbee
Sunday 6th August 2006, 22:17
Justin (thread hijack Matt but relevent ;) ) - on the subject of Volvo UK - any news re the banner?

Justin
Monday 7th August 2006, 00:03
I'll ask again tomorrow ;)

Straker
Monday 7th August 2006, 12:57
Count me in given enought notice!

johnny d 850r
Monday 7th August 2006, 13:17
hi
i agree billing is a good meeting place you couldent get more central if you tried good camping facillities etc not to expensive ideal m8. johnny d 850r.

Matt30462
Monday 7th August 2006, 13:24
Not happening for this one I'm afraid. Unless everything else fails.

Matt30462
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 12:44
Just to get everyone up to speed with this one. After much to-ing and fro-ing, along with many, many emails, we have now been offered some very good discounted prices. These will be posted once everything has been finalised but as a rough guide, we are looking at £60-£100 for 3 night accomodation. The highest figure is for the Gold Caravan and upto 8 people. I think you will agree that even at £100 an entire weekend for 8 is not bad. A little info regarding plans on site. It is more difficult to arrange activities than first thought, due to things like space, insurance etc. However, I am awaiting information from the local council and the local Police constabulary. I think at this time, we are going to have to wing it at the meet and arrange some mini events rather than have a "fair" type event, I will let you know.
So just to recap, the date certainly looks like the weekend of 28th Sept 2007 at Thorpe Park, Cleethorpes with rough pricing above. Don't forget, although it is essentially a Volvo meet, there is absolutely no reason you can't ask your neighbours and family if they would like to come, indeed, if we do get large numbers, we may even get the price down further.
Put your names down on the other thread if you have not already.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12212&page=3&pp=10

We need to make this massive.

arbee
Tuesday 15th August 2006, 14:05
sounds great Matt! Bargain - I'll be having a 'van to myself at at that sort of price :)

Wouldn't wory too much about the other stuff just yet - once the accomodation is sorted and booked everything else will slot into place :)