PDA

View Full Version : Starting probs Help!

Bigtony
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:51
well lads and laddetts I have got the fan belt problem sorted, thanks paul! I have put every thing back together, no the engine ont turn over!

The starter clicks away but wont turn over, I have changed the starter, same problem, checked the wires same problem. I know the engine turns easily as I had to turn it to put on the fly wheel. It there some sort of immobiliser that will cause this? any ideas would help!

Cheers Bigtony

t5tart
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:58
im stumped tony
did you test the starter was working b4 you fit it

there will be the volvo imobiliser but that should go off with the key

mulletboy2
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:04
Check the resistance between the starter/alternator and the chassis mate.. sounds like it might be a dodgy earth. Have you checked the main chassis earth's good?

JUDGENINJA
Did you have to undo anything to get at you belt.... on my car I didn't need to move anything so I think they could be unrelated and you've broken an earth wire somewhere in the system....

Bigtony
Yeh mate I checked it this one has just stumped me! I am gfoing to take the one I took off and get it checked, ther was a slight difference in the two but nothing that should stop it from starting

Bigtony
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:06
Will try that tomorrow - cheers

Bigtony
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:08
Did you have to undo anything to get at you belt.... on my car I didn't need to move anything so I think they could be unrelated and you've broken an earth wire somewhere in the system....

I have replaced all the earths I took off, so I dont think thats the prob. The starter does kick but just wont turn the engine over.

Bigtony
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:12
im stumped tony
did you test the starter was working b4 you fit it

there will be the volvo imobiliser but that should go off with the key

Seems you got back safe an sound mate - did you go via A38?

t5tart
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:14
have tou tried turning the engine on the crank pulley tony just to check nothin g is stopping it turning

just a thought from when you fitted the gear box ?

mulletboy2
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:15
Tony - my main chassis earth bolt broke when I took it off for rewiring - sadly they don't last forever. It could be the connection or the wiring itself (just because it looks good doesn't mean it is)..I guess it's probably been stood outside without the bolt in it for a while though, which could explain corrosion inside the thread and possibly outside it too. Easy enough to check anyway :)

Bigtony
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:16
have tou tried turning the engine on the crank pulley tony just to check nothin g is stopping it turning

just a thought from when you fitted the gear box ?

That thopught crssed ny mind tonite - one of the things I will try tomorro evening- cheers

t5tart
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:19
hope you dont have to rebuild that engine hoist ....

oh had the dash top off and mine almost certainly is not pr wired for the fogs
so if you would be good enuff to pull that wiring loom for me
back to the relay board and then to the engine bay would be appreciated
then i can just run it knowitg its all the right lengths

oh and if you did cut the plugs just chop a couple of the side repeather ones :)

Bigtony
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:30
Tony - my main chassis earth bolt broke when I took it off for rewiring - sadly they don't last forever. It could be the connection or the wiring itself (just because it looks good doesn't mean it is)..I guess it's probably been stood outside without the bolt in it for a while though, which could explain corrosion inside the thread and possibly outside it too. Easy enough to check anyway :)

Is that the blue earth belo the battery tray, connected to the sub frame?

mulletboy2
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:32
That'll be the one mate :) There's also one higher up behind the air box IIRC, but I think it's only for ancilliaries... or I could just be making it up :lol:

t5tart
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:37
there are afew earth points best way it to trace it back fron the starter
iirc most starters have a dedicated earth

Bigtony
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:43
there are afew earth points best way it to trace it back fron the starter
iirc most starters have a dedicated earth

I was just thinking, the wires that go to the starter - two reds one the same pole and a small green spade, there as also a whiteish/cream coloured wire hich I put to the 10mil hole by the front engine mount. is this correct or have I misplaced a wire

t5tart
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:51
il hav a look at the wiring diagram tomorrow tony as its in the car
unless anyone has one to hand

Bigtony
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:55
il hav a look at the wiring diagram tomorrow tony as its in the car
unless anyone has one to hand

Cheers mate

t5tart
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 00:09
went and got it needed some fags anyway
lol
ok according to the wiring diagram

2 reds one from alternator and one from battery
iground wire (not colour coded on here) and on the auto a green wire that goes back to the gear selector switch

Bigtony
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 00:52
went and got it needed some fags anyway
lol
ok according to the wiring diagram

2 reds one from alternator and one from battery
iground wire (not colour coded on here) and on the auto a green wire that goes back to the gear selector switch

Sounds about right thats the way I have them - I will have to have another go tomorrow.

Cheers

Bigtony
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 16:38
Well guys I have had the starters tested today both are ok, and just as you have advised, I have been advised to turn the engine (crank) to make sure all is free, then double check all earth points - clean them and rewconnect them especially the main earth.

I will do all this when i get home this evening and let you all know what happens!!