PDA

View Full Version : Do I need new control arms / bushes??

ClarkV70R
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:02
Hi folks. Hope someone can give me a diagnosis for an annoying problem. i have a V70R 98 with Wilwood BBK fitted to the front. When I brake, I get a strange nioce from the front wheels that sounds like warped discs, but after driving for a hundred metres after braking, the noice disappears, only coming back post braking. if it was a warped disc problem, then the noice would be there all the time, right? I heard somewhere that if the bushes in the control arms are worn, it can sound like warped discs due to the excessive movement of the front suspension rigout.

has anyone else experienced this problem before. there is a group buy going at the moment through QBM and if I am convinced I need new control arms/bushes, then I will join the group buy bandwagon, but before I spend the cash, I could do with a bit of feedback. Cheers in advance for any comments or past experiences.

JC:help:

Vikingxl
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:05
My discs were really bad and at high speed they showed no probem it was just as the car slowed down.Dont know if that helps

ClarkV70R
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:08
thanks for the reply. The brakes make no noice while braking, just post braking for a hundred or so metres. there is zero noice while driving, only after braking.

Vikingxl
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:10
Does the steering shake?I had no noise from mine just the shaking

Ren
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:12
Are your pads sticking? When was the last time you cleaned/replaced the pads. Mine were doing this a couple of days ago until I had them off whilst painting the callipers. Used a wire brush and file to re 'shamfer' the edges on the pads and leading edge on the disk etc. Feels solid under foot now with no noise.

ClarkV70R
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:18
the steering doesn't shake and the brakes (calpers, pads, discs) are as good as new with loads of meat left on the pads. I have never hammered the brakes and was told the cast iron Wilwood discs are neigh on impossible to warp. How do I know if they are sticking?

Ren
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:50
Sorry for the delay.

Check that the pads can move on the calliper. You'll probably find dust deposits and build up where they 'sit' preventing the movement. By movement, I do mean by fractions. Also, check the pad wear to see if the inside is worse (thinner) than the outer and that they have a copper grease substance to stop the pads 'sticking' to the piston etc.