PDA

View Full Version : FREE Yes FREE Dyno Day AT SW AUTOS 23rd july 2006

stu850t5
Sunday 16th July 2006, 23:31
Hi All

For my birthday next weekend and the completion of my dyno cell I am offering a free dyno run for all Volvos 2wd only at the moment on Sunday 23rd July 2006 from 10.30am till 2.30pm. This will also incorporate the usual SW AUTOS meet up event including Coffee, Workshop facilities, Vadis,Parts for sale, Good advice ETC. And of course the usual Pub Meet with Dinner Afterwards.

Hope to see you all there.

Thanks Stuart

PS Sorry for short notice.

PPS Please post whos coming to this so i can book the pub after on the voc or www.volvo-tech.co.uk as i rarely check this site.

neevo
Sunday 16th July 2006, 23:48
Unfortunately you're too far away from me but Happy Birthday for Sunday anyway
:thewave:
:thewave:

Andrew
Monday 17th July 2006, 06:51
Hi Stu - I'd love to come - unfortunatly dropping wife and kids off at Heathrow so can't make it. Enjoy yourself and Happy Birthday.

Andrew.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 17th July 2006, 13:29
Happy Birthday for Sunday. Sadly I am busy this weekend but I hope the event runs well for you.

andy l
Monday 17th July 2006, 15:07
hi m8 have you got a map for the avent cheers andy

Murphy
Monday 17th July 2006, 15:09
Happy birthday :D

I don't have a Volvo :(

SaffronC70
Monday 17th July 2006, 16:48
hi m8 have you got a map for the avent cheers andy

Hi

check www.swautos.co.uk for a map - been a great meet everytime I have been so far.

Chris

Vikingxl
Monday 17th July 2006, 21:43
Wont be there as i have a lot on that weekend

Andrew
Monday 17th July 2006, 21:46
Geesh - this is unusual.... free stuff and no one on this site is available ?
something is wrong somewhere.... wonder if I could drop the kids and wife off at the airport 4 hours early... hmm.

t5tart
Monday 17th July 2006, 21:49
dammnit have a wedding to attend

siamblue
Monday 17th July 2006, 21:49
something is wrong somewhere.... wonder if I could drop the kids and wife off at the airport 4 hours early... hmm.

Meet you there mate if you can make it, did you get your car issues sorted?

siamblue
Monday 17th July 2006, 21:52

Hi Andrew will see you there if you can make it, did you get the car issues sorted in the end?

Vikingxl
Monday 17th July 2006, 21:55
I know what you are saying Andrew i have tried moving things round but no can do as we have a visitor from Australia and my life wouldnt be worth living if i slipped out for a few hours.

Tomcat
Monday 17th July 2006, 21:58
I would have loved to come but its just too far away for me at the moment, good luck with it though.

thunderace
Monday 17th July 2006, 21:59
many happy returns for next w/end

love to be there if i may

Ren
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:02
I had to give is some thought, but I decided it would be a nice motorway drive from Swindon. Plus I'm due to go to Powrstation the next day, which was a bit of a coincidence. I haven't decided whether or not to keep that appointment to compare the two runs?

Andrew
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:13
Hi Andrew will see you there if you can make it, did you get the car issues sorted in the end?

No - still messed up and no time to fix till next week now. Thing is I can reset it and take it easy and drive 70 miles without a hitch so it's can't be too big but I should replace it.

Ac.

Vikingxl
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:16
Ren that really would make for interesting reading maybe you should do both.Is powerstation the one in Tewkesbury?

Ren
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:17
Yes the Jap tunning specialsts (they call themselves). So I might have a few miles under my belt after the two days.

Vikingxl
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:19
Might be able to make the Tewks one as im off work at the moment

BlackBeast
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:11
Ren that really would make for interesting reading maybe you should do both.Is powerstation the one in Tewkesbury?

Now what would really be interesting is if he also went to VT aswell!

Straker
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 14:14
Count me in as a definate maybe. We have family over but if I can push them out the door nice and early I'd love to come down. happy birthday BTW as well. Common then how old :troutslap

Cheers

Al115
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 14:36
Hoping to make it... everything permitting... but I won't have a car to dyno...

James he's 76 this year. :)

Straker
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 14:38
Hoping to make it... everything permitting... but I won't have a car to dyno...

James he's 76 this year. :)

Doesn't look a day over 73!:biggrin:

pzorb
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 15:42
Wow I'd love to be there, but can't make it. Car's not going anywhere for a few months...

Andys101
Friday 21st July 2006, 22:10
Hi Should be there to do some wheel deal

Nathlm
Friday 21st July 2006, 23:12
If sunday is going to be hot, how are the cars going to stay cool? and run within safe parameters? I know we have had to postpone some dyno runs this week because of the heat (wobbly dave being one of them, sorry dave) and we have a 100 mph fan named Caterina LOL.

SaffronC70
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 10:00
Safe parameters ? Only thing I can think of is the car overheating - but this will show up on the temp gauge ?

I'm pretty sure my car is going to get more of a test during the drive around Kent getting to SWA, lol !

Chris

volvotuning
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 10:11
Chris,

It's the long continuous sessions of custom tuning that can be troublesome in very hot weather, because then the ECU will want to pull things back due to very high intake temps. Therefore it's very difficult to achieve the desired results. In fact, having monitored intake temps on the road this week on a few cars, it's clear that even on the road they struggle to produce the best performance when driven hard in such heat, so even mapping on the road wouldn't give the desired results, as well as being a highly irresponsible thing to do on UK roads.

Adam.

BlackBeast
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 10:38
Was that with standard airboxes Adam ;)

Vikingxl
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 10:42
Chris,

It's the long continuous sessions of custom tuning that can be troublesome in very hot weather, because then the ECU will want to pull things back due to very high intake temps. Therefore it's very difficult to achieve the desired results. In fact, having monitored intake temps on the road this week on a few cars, it's clear that even on the road they struggle to produce the best performance when driven hard.

Adam.
Mines one of those and i have to say that its running a whole lot better in the mornings and evenings when its cooler.

SaffronC70
Saturday 22nd July 2006, 11:48
Chris,

It's the long continuous sessions of custom tuning that can be troublesome in very hot weather, because then the ECU will want to pull things back due to very high intake temps. Therefore it's very difficult to achieve the desired results. In fact, having monitored intake temps on the road this week on a few cars, it's clear that even on the road they struggle to produce the best performance when driven hard in such heat, so even mapping on the road wouldn't give the desired results, as well as being a highly irresponsible thing to do on UK roads.

Adam.

Oh yes, I totally agree with that.

I don't see a problem with a power run though - common sense suggests power loss from hot intake/ambient temps.

Chris

JUDGENINJA
Monday 24th July 2006, 00:46
Anyone go.....?
was it good......?

Shame I couldn't go... i really wanted too..

Any pics...?

arbee
Monday 24th July 2006, 07:27
there's some pics over on the dark side ;)

SaffronC70
Monday 24th July 2006, 07:42
Day went well with a good turnout.

Cheers to Stu and Matt for their efforts !

Found out my car is in need of some attention, with just under 200whp !

There are photos floating around.

Chris

Nathlm
Monday 24th July 2006, 07:55
Looks like eveyone had a good day! and Stuart a good birthday. The photos look good too - but where were the fancy pull down screens and fancy new software! All I could see was an old Sun Ram 12 display unit (which is about 25 years old) and where are the dyno plots - just a tincy bit curious LOL. The funny thing is that, it is exactly the same rollers and unit as we used to have, but unfortunately we couldn't get anyone to callibrate them it or fix when went wrong so we sold it on ebay for £500 squids to a grass tracker!

Nat xx

Vikingxl
Monday 24th July 2006, 09:17
Where are the pictures then i cant be bothered to go looking elsewhere for them!

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 09:50
Where are the pictures then i cant be bothered to go looking elsewhere for them!
LOl thats cus you cant i would go and get the pics but they are very funny about copyright laws

Nathlm
Monday 24th July 2006, 10:36

Go on to Volvo-tech you might be able to see them there.

Nat xx

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 10:44
Go on to Volvo-tech you might be able to see them there.

Nat xx
LOL i might go there then myself,how are they about copyright laws and so on

Nathlm
Monday 24th July 2006, 10:50
Another thing I notice 'with my health and safety hat on' is I could not see any fire extinguishers about anywhere, especially by the car being put on the rollers. This is a big no no, when you are running a rolling road, you must always take precautions to protect your staff and the public. What would they do if a car caught fire in that confined space?

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 10:50
i will post em up as i dont care what people say about me anymore

P.S this is the link so NO copy right laws are BROKEN

http://community.webshots.com/album/552487372BOxnjn

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 10:51
Another thing I notice 'with my health and safety hat on' is I could not see any fire extinguishers about anywhere, especially by the car being put on the rollers. This is a big no no, when you are running a rolling road, you must always take precautions to protect your staff and the public. What would they do if a car caught fire in that confined space?

Very bad idea that it would really make a mess

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:00
that machine looks really old kinda looks like our brake tester at work

Andrew
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:01
i will post em up as i dont care what people say about me anymore

P.S this is the link so NO copy right laws are BROKEN

http://community.webshots.com/album/552487372BOxnjn

Not quite sure what you mean by your comment but thanks for the link chap - gutted I couldn't make this day. As far as I'm concerned as a Volvo owner we can go to any and all meets. Have fun. Talk to others. I've no time for anyone who slags anyone else off... personal choice is still a right in this country I believe.... and if you can't say anything nice just be a good person and don't say anything else at all.

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:03
Not quite sure what you mean by your comment but thanks for the link chap - gutted I couldn't make this day. As far as I'm concerned as a Volvo owner we can go to any and all meets. Have fun. Talk to others. I've no time for anyone who slags anyone else off... personal choice is still a right in this country I believe....
Nothing meant by the comment at all,and like you i have no time for people like that which some people may want to think about!.

Andrew
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:05
that machine looks really old kinda looks like our brake tester at work

Aye these things cost £100k+ new so it's a significant investment. I would imagine that SW bought this one second hand to test the waters. Takes a long time to claim back £100k+ through power runs.

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:09
Aye these things cost £100k+ new so it's a significant investment. I would imagine that SW bought this one second hand to test the waters. Takes a long time to claim back £100k+ through power runs.
No offence was meant by that but i would of thought if you were going to do these kinda things that you would research the options and see how the water lies and then go for it,Guess you could be right £100k is a lot

arbee
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:10
i think he only wanted to be asked before the pics were being used elsewhere. Nat - factual your comments may be - but a bit negative?

Although i didn't go I'm grateful that stu opened his invite to our forum :)

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:10
Any chance we could not pick holes with Stuarts rolling road day, its not constructive. Those that went I'm sure had a great day and thats all that counts

x

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:13
Tbh a bit far for me with 2 kids the last essex meet was a nightmare with them,plus it would have cost me round about £150 in fuel just to go thee and back.Nice invite as said but short notice and not many takers from my neck of the woods due to notice and costs

Ren
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:17
Well, following yesterdays SW figures I was somewhat miserable as mine only managed 202 @ wheels or 232 @ fly (15%), but it was in the late 20s early 30's heat on an analogue system as the software was not being used.

As some of you know I had already planned on a Power run at Powerstation, Tewkesbury for today. I have the results in hardcopy, video and pdf (had to make sure. lol). Pperhaps one of you more 'technical' guys out there can give me there opinion. I'm affraid the sites limit is exceeded when I go to attach it, so you will have to visit my site (see sig.) to see the graph. Ok......for those who are not interested in the graph - 282.4bhp

Note. I was told that they can provide club RR days @ £30 each, providing there is a minimum of 15 cars. I have to say that sounds good. The facilities are real clininical and clean. You could probably eat your dinner on the floor of the workshop (although not recommended of course). It's really easy access from the M5 J9, in fact it's under 2 minutes.

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:20
Well, following yesterdays SW figures I was somewhat miserable as mine only managed 202 @ wheels or 232 @ fly (15%), but it was in the late 20s early 30's heat on an analogue system as the software was not being used.

As some of you know I had already planned on a Power run at Powerstation, Tewkesbury for today. I have the results in hardcopy, video and pdf (had to make sure. lol). Pperhaps one of you more 'technical' guys out there can give me there opinion. I'm affraid the sites limit is exceeded when I go to attach it, so you will have to visit my site (see sig.) to see the graph. Ok......for those who are not interested in the graph - 282.4bhp

Note. I was told that they can provide club RR days @ £30 each, providing there is a minimum of 15 cars. I have to say that sounds good. The facilities are real clininical and clean. You could probably eat your dinner on the floor of the workshop (although not recommended of course). It's really easy access from the M5 J9, in fact it's under 2 minutes.

What was the difference between the 2 mate as you seem to gain 80 bhp from some were??? did they do anything different

Nathlm
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:22
Thats really useful info Ren - Any more info, like what what was the fan they used, did they make you sign a disclaimer etc. It is really good that you got results from an 'independant' dyno place. I'm sure that the tech heads will be able to advise on your results.

Nat xx

volvotuning
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:25
Any chance we could not pick holes with Stuarts rolling road day, its not constructive. Those that went I'm sure had a great day and thats all that counts

x

Picking holes in the event itself is not constructive. However, asking questions of a technical nature about a rolling road session I think is constructive. Afterall, our own company is regularly subject to such questions and scrutiny by our own customers, and quite rightly so because it's a science that they are often not familiar with and a service that they pay for.

Please note, this is not about slagging off and I don't want to be part of it. I'm just saying that asking questions is the norm.

Adam.

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:31
Perhaps picking holes in the event itself is not constructive, but asking questions of a technical nature about a rolling road session I think is very constructive. Afterall, our own company is regularly subject to such questions and scrutiny, and quite rightly so.

Please note, I'm not saying slagging off is ok, far from it! Just saying that asking questions is the norm.

Adam.

Oh right its "an eye for an eye" thing then is it - "well they did it to us so its only fair we do it back"

The best way to resolve any issue

x

volvotuning
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:40

Ren, first of all, welcome to the world of dyno testing!!!

The first important point (as you are now becoming aware of) is that all dynos read different! The reasons for this are many, which are mentioned in an article I have written about dyno testing -

www.dyno-tuning.com\dyno-tuning\dynoscience.pdf

Basically, when tuning or testing, stick to the same dyno!

As for comments on your graph, the analysis is very simple - it shows what power you have, what torque you have, on their dyno. That is all that can be deduced from this chart.

Adam.

volvotuning
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:42
Oh right its "an eye for an eye" thing then is it - "well they did it to us so its only fair we do it back"

The best way to resolve any issue

x

Mopps, this is a misunderstanding. I meant nothing of the sort! What "eye for an eye"??? I have just said that from a purely technical point of view, it is normal and acceptable to ask questions. I'm refering to customers asking questions by the way.

Adam.

Ren
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:45
The difference being the environment IMHO and the equipment setup. Nothing has been changed on the car.

SW-Open garage used two fans. One clearly sucking in concrete dust. I'm glad I wasn't first.
P'station-has a closed environment with room temperature control set at below 23c by massive cooling vents. I also noticed the traction control had been turned off?

Ren
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:47
As Powerstation is only 30 minutes away I think I shall continue to use them. It works out the same as the freebie yesterday because of the amount of petrol used. But is was a bl**dy good drive home.

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:48
concreate dust into the inlet system not good for the maf or throttle units full stop

volvotuning
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:50
The difference being the environment IMHO and the equipment setup. Nothing has been changed on the car.

SW-Open garage used two fans. One clearly sucking in concrete dust. I'm glad I wasn't first.
P'station-has a closed environment with room temperature control set at below 23c by massive cooling vents. I also noticed the traction control had been turned off?

Traction control has to be off for dyno testing. That's normal.

Adam.

Ren
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:52
I've now been told that the whp is the same as yesterdays, but they did not load the rollers as PS did today, what ever that means?

T5ER
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:52
Traction control has to be off for dyno testing. That's normal.

Adam.
You learn something new every day

volvotuning
Monday 24th July 2006, 11:54
I've now been told that the whp is the same as yesterdays, but they did not load the rollers as PS did today, what ever that means?

IMHO you should ask both dyno places exactly what they did and ask them to analyse their charts for you. That's what you paid for, and therefore the best people to explain are the dyno operators themselves. If there is anything you don't understand, you need to ask the operator for an explanation.

Adam.

Andrew
Monday 24th July 2006, 13:30
Is it just me or has the "Pics of THE day" thread been deleted?
If so why ?

arbee
Monday 24th July 2006, 13:52
its been merged with this one mate - related content i guess :)

volvotuning
Monday 24th July 2006, 13:54
Takes a long time to claim back £100k+ through power runs.

Indeed it would!

Adam.

SaffronC70
Monday 24th July 2006, 13:56
especially if they are free !

Andrew
Monday 24th July 2006, 14:04
its been merged with this one mate - related content i guess :)

thanks for that. Might be useful if the old thread remaind around for 24 hours with a link to the merged thread?

fraz13
Monday 24th July 2006, 14:28
Thats what the search functions for mate....

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:10
thanks for that. Might be useful if the old thread remaind around for 24 hours with a link to the merged thread?

WHY? The whole content is in this thread for all to see why do we need a seperate thread?

x

Andrew
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:13
WHY? The whole content is in this thread for all to see why do we need a seperate thread?

x

Fraz - Search doesn't work when you remove the old thread title which is what I tried a search on.

Nat - mainly because a) I was tracking the thread and thought it had just been deleted b) it stops any confusion if you can point it to the merged thread for those who are monitoring it by thread title as I was. Not suggesting it should always be there just for 24 hours or so.

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:16
Nat - mainly because a) I was tracking the thread and thought it had just been deleted b) it stops any confusion if you can point it to the merged thread for those who are monitoring it by thread title as I was. Not suggesting it should always be there just for 24 hours or so.

No one else seems to have a problem Andrew?

x

Andrew
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:17
No one else seems to have a problem Andrew?

x

Well you know me Nat - I like to be different!
:P

Just a suggestion. As always do what you feel best.

fraz13
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:18
And if you put in "Pics of THE day" as the title was it takes you to the SW Autos thread....

volvotuning
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:20
And if you put in "Pics of THE day" as the title was it takes you to the SW Autos thread....

Is the search case sensitive? I'm only asking cos I rarely use it.

Adam.

fraz13
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:21
Nope!!!

Andrew
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:22

Yes along with others. The point I was making is I was searching in the results for a post with "Pics of the day" cos I knew that was the title of the thread. Because it wasn't there I assumed, wrongly, it had been deleted. Where as if it was still there, locked with a note to say this thread has been merged with the SW thread. I would of known no one was deleting anything and thus avoiding the confusion.

Adam - the search is not case sensitive.

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:24
Yes along with others. The point I was making is I was searching in the results for a post with "Pics of the day" cos I knew that was the title of the thread. Because it wasn't there I assumed, wrongly, it had been deleted. Where as if it was still there, locked with a note to say this thread has been merged with the SW thread. I would of known no one was deleting anything and thus avoiding the confusion.

Adam - the search is not case sensitive.

Andrew, once a thread has been merged it no longer exists as a thread in its own right. We are unable to close the thread and also merge it in with another - it's either merge or not merge, we chose to merge.

I hope this clarifies our position!

x

Andrew
Monday 24th July 2006, 15:26
I hope this clarifies our position!

Clearly!

Ren
Monday 24th July 2006, 16:28
I have made my first web video featuring todays indy RR run and can be seen via my webpage, if your interested....

Nathlm
Monday 24th July 2006, 16:32
Wow Ren you're really getting into this rolling road stuff - I think you are hooked!!!!

Nat xx

Ren
Monday 24th July 2006, 16:43
Hooked, line and sinker!!!!!

I have to say it does give you a little buz knowing that all it needs is the smallest thing to go wrong and................it's all over! Well that is extreme but I needed to know what she was doing before I planned any thing else.

Ren
Monday 24th July 2006, 22:02
Ren, first of all, welcome to the world of dyno testing!!!

The first important point (as you are now becoming aware of) is that all dynos read different! The reasons for this are many, which are mentioned in an article I have written about dyno testing -

www.dyno-tuning.com\dyno-tuning\dynoscience.pdf

Basically, when tuning or testing, stick to the same dyno!

As for comments on your graph, the analysis is very simple - it shows what power you have, what torque you have, on their dyno. That is all that can be deduced from this chart.

Adam.

Thanks for this Adam. I've just spent 5 minutes reading your dyno science summary. Very informative and very clear why there are so many variances and questions being asked about the processes.

I am clear in my mind that the two days has given me the necessary information I set out to obtain.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 24th July 2006, 23:05
Common sense must dictate that high ambient temps (the hottest this year) cannot have helped with power - but having said that RR days should be a social event and not sooo focused on the results. Been really busy then tired so I havent looked about much. I hope you all (who went) had a good day and I hope Stu had a nice b'day :cheers:

volvotuning
Tuesday 25th July 2006, 10:52
Thanks for this Adam. I've just spent 5 minutes reading your dyno science summary. Very informative and very clear why there are so many variances and questions being asked about the processes.

I am clear in my mind that the two days has given me the necessary information I set out to obtain.

Glad it helped!

Now, the next thing you need to be aware of is that when you are tuning, power and torque are not the only readings you need because that doesn't actually tell you how the car is running. What you need to ask for is an air/fuel ratio plot. This will tell you how the car is running, ie if it's running rich, lean, spot on, and where improvements can be made. Boost is also a useful measurement to plot.

If you want some examples, check out the dyno day pics on this web site -

http://www.vpcuk.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=237

Adam.