PDA

View Full Version : Nokia Car Kit Installation

Martinr
Friday 1st April 2005, 12:00
Hi all

I am in the process of installing a hands free kit in the T5.

I have located the 'black box' on the reverse of the black plastic panel found behind the radio console when the carpet is removed on the passenger side. I have the dashmount bracket to hold the cradle so all sorted there. All very neat and no damage to the trim is visible. :smileypul

My car has the standard 'premium' ICE system.

I have some questions which I am sure someone out there will know the answer to. :confused:

1: Anyone else fitted the CARK91 kit in their car, where did you put the speaker. Polite answers only please :)

2: On my previous car the fitter wired the electrical feed for the hands free unit by slaving to the wiring of the stereo. This worked well as it gives a ready source of Live, Ignition Live and Earth without having to mess about. I thought I would follow this approach here. The hands free unit has four wires Red/Black/Blue and Yellow. Red is permanent live, Black is Earth, Blue is Ignition fed Live and Yellow is radio mute. Anyone know to what I should attach these on the stereo harness?

3: To attch the wires I will need to remove the radio/cassette unit. How does one do this? Is there a special tool required?

Thanks

fraz13
Friday 1st April 2005, 12:57
Number 1, a think if the radio is the same as the S70 theres a wee clip you push in on either side, then a bit pops out n the radio slides out

I think its a standard ISO plug on the back of the radio so it should be self expanitory, Autoleads do a kit (around £25) http://www.autoleads.co.uk/telemute.html

If you dont wanna go that way av got pics that al post up later, my blue and red wires are joined coz only when the phone is in the cradle does it take battery power, also if your in the car with ignition off and you get a call it wont go through the kit if theres an ignition feed, better joining them and making it permenant feed letting the hands free function work at all times

mraldonnelly
Friday 1st April 2005, 13:46
From memory, I THINK the following applies:

Red = Switched
Yellow = Permanent (I know, confused me too)
Black = Earth (definately)

As for the radio muts, I dunno, I've an aftermarket SatNav head unit with it's own radio mute output.

If in doubt, test the red and yellow wires with a circuit tester.

Mine's wired to ignition and live and still works when the ignition is off. The reason it's connected to the ignition is so that if the phone is left in the cradle with the ignition off, the handsfree will power off after one hour to preserve battery charge. Obviously, with the ignition on the handsfree remains on regardless of how long the phone has been inactive.

As for where I stuck the speaker, I've just wedged mine between the passenger seat and centre console with half of the speaker not shielded by the centre console (if that makes any sense). Only temporary really - I'm gonna wire it through my speakers when I eventually get round to it.

Regards

Andy

fraz13
Friday 1st April 2005, 17:30
Heres the pics

Speaker mounted behind the cradle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM0173.jpg

One of the previous owners made a complete a*se of the dash so cradle and speaker had to go here for obvious reasons

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM0176.jpg

In this pic you can clearly see the blue and red together to give the unit a permanant feed, Yellow goin up the dash for the Telemute

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM0179.jpg

Hope this helps mate :B_thumb:

fraz13
Friday 1st April 2005, 17:31
Red = Switched
Yellow = Permanent (I know, confused me too)
Black = Earth (definately)

Thats the way it is for a Car hi-fi, not for these kits :B_thumb:

Martinr
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 11:29
Thanks for that Fraz. I tried the autoleads tech desk on Friday but they had left for the day. Only 2.15 so not a bad life is it!!:) Will ring again on Monday as this seems to be the best alternative.

That previous owner really butchered the dash didn't they.

fraz13
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 12:27
No probs Martin, not often a can be of use but am gettin better hahah

Yeah they used catty a think 2 fill holes then it cracked and fell off, its a total mess but dont see it now the cradles in the way :B_thumb:

Anyway happy to help :wink:

MattV70
Monday 4th April 2005, 13:22
I bought a P2 V70 recently that had a Nokia kit already installed. The bloke before has the speaker screwed into the passenger footwell, close to the door. I popped into my local stereo shop and bought a lead which routed the sound through the front speakers of the radio.

I'd highly recommend it as the original speaker was naff, and i couldn't hear anything above 80 due to the wind noise. The kit also mutes the volume to the front speakers so you can hear the phone ringing even if you are singing along to you favorite song, with the stereo up loud!!!

The downside (and there's always one!) it cost about £35 - £40!

Martinr
Monday 4th April 2005, 14:57
Right. I followed the link to Autoleads above.

Spoke to a very friendly lady in their technical help centre.

She informed me that I could search for the part number (06-084B) on Google etc to find a supplier or I could try Halfrauds, Toad etc.

I did the search and the cheapest I could get was around £38 mark , tried Halfrauds lunchtime and I am amazed by the price there. Ordered the item for me total cost £29.99 so well chuffed.

By the way, they have their fully synthetic oil on special offer. Buy one get one free coincidentally priced at £29.99 as well if anyone is interested.

Obviously they do sometimes come up trumps.

rs_andy
Thursday 7th April 2005, 14:13
I installed the speaker on the little shelf below the glovebox in my S70, fits very neatly in there and I never use that shelf for anything else anyway..

Martinr
Thursday 7th April 2005, 14:19
Right. Just picked the leads up. Arrived yesterday so a pretty good turnaround.

There are a lot of wires!!

Instructions that come with it look like they were written for MFI so I suppose I will need to go through the wires systematically and figure what goes where.

Shouldn't be able to ££££ up where multi plugs are involved. I hope!

I will have a look at it over the weekend weather permitting and let you know how it goes, (those of you who are interested of course :))

Martinr
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:11
Fitted the lead, simplicity itself.

Slight problem in that the stereo (SC801), only worked if it was switched on before the ignition was! Also when making or taking a call the stereo would switch off and wouldn't come on again till the ignition was switched off and on. Not practical when taking a call on the M6.

Called the Autoleads helpdesk and the woman there was very knowledgable and helpful. Had to make a slight modification as my stereo has the muting facility. Helpdesk talked me through the change I had to make. Alteration consisted of cutting one wire and re-connecting to a fly lead in the new harness.

Result a perfect installation, no mess, phone through the speakers and much better quality:)

Would recommend this to anyone considering going down this route.