PDA

View Full Version : C70 With Rubbing Inner Arches?

Rufe
Saturday 15th July 2006, 18:29
I was checking my tyres yesterday and to my surprise i noticed that allthough the tyres looked fine from a quick check, the inside edges were illegal so i had two new tyres put on there today. the rest of the tyre tread area was fine.

The car is a C70, with volvo lowered 'sports chassis' and 17" volvo alloys with 225-45-17 rubber. Ok, the C70 does sit very low compared to other C70's i have seen, though obviously i put this down to the lowered sports chassis. The car handles superbly, and suspension seems spot on, and there has been basically no noticeable vibration through the steering at all, not even when the tyres were illegal on the insides.

Was going to have it tracked in work on monday, as when i saw the wear immediate thought went to tracking. However, while the wheels were off i took a look inside the arches and could see that on both sides of the car, the inner arch plastic liners had holes in them where the tyres have rubbed through (same place both sides of the car). I know the tyres do rub a little when on full lock, but didnt think they were rubbing while in a straight line or normal cornering even.

Does any one else have any problems with standard set up (well, out of the factory 'Sports Chassis' at least) and rubbing inner arches? Obviously narrower tyres could be an option, but seeing as i have just invested in 2 new tyres today, i would like to hear of possible ways to prevent this happening if anyone else has had it?

After_Shock
Saturday 15th July 2006, 21:08
Stop turning on full lock! But other than that or fitting spacers to the wheels theirs not much you can do.

Fitting narrower tyres is an option but will lose out on a bit of grip and make it easier to kurb/damage the alloys.

volvolised
Saturday 15th July 2006, 23:01
hi, when lowering the suspension the camber will also need to be adjusted sometimes to stop such problems (so i've been told).

Ian C70T5
Saturday 15th July 2006, 23:16
dunno, my C70 T5 GT has 18" pegs with 235/40 tyres. no rubbing at all.

Rufe
Saturday 15th July 2006, 23:59
thanks for the replies :)

Stop turning on full lock! But other than that or fitting spacers to the wheels theirs not much you can do.
lol, i have to use full lock when i park the car at night, otherwise it would rarely see full lock.

hi, when lowering the suspension the camber will also need to be adjusted sometimes to stop such problems (so i've been told).
yeah i appreciate this, but you would think this would have been sorted at the factory, and as its a volvo set up i am not the only one with this same set up, so i was wondering if others with the same factory sports chassis and 225-45-17 tyres have experieinced the same thing?

dunno, my C70 T5 GT has 18" pegs with 235/40 tyres. no rubbing at all.
have you got lowered suspension at all, i mean volvo sports chassis for example?

i will be having the tracking done on monday in work anyway, might as well as they said they will do it for free - so at least i can see if the tracking is out at all. i know the tyre wear has got to be down to the rubbing on the inner wing liner, but may as well get the tracking checked too. these tyres were put on last october, so have lasted pretty well really, though the rest of the tread has lasted a lot better than the inside edges so its still annoying.

T5ER
Sunday 16th July 2006, 00:04
Mate i sympathise for you as i know 850`s have a tendancy to wear the edges but what you are describing seems very odd,can you get them to do 4 whell alignment for you F.o.C

st1t5
Sunday 16th July 2006, 04:13
so i was wondering if others with the same factory sports chassis and 225-45-17 tyres have experieinced the same thing?

I have got the same set up Rufe and mine's fine mate ....

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/roddy21t/Image001.jpg

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 16th July 2006, 13:58
I wouldnt worry too much about the wheel arch liners. If your wearing out the in-board shoulder of the tyres more than the outboard then I suggest that you are toeing in too far and the tracking needs adjusting. A little toe-in is good coz it helps with cornering. - about 2 degrees is all you ever need.

Rufe
Sunday 16th July 2006, 14:13
I wouldnt worry too much about the wheel arch liners. If your wearing out the in-board shoulder of the tyres more than the outboard then I suggest that you are toeing in too far and the tracking needs adjusting. A little toe-in is good coz it helps with cornering. - about 2 degrees is all you ever need.
thats what i originally thought, and why i was set to have the tracking done on monday. but after taking the wheels off and spotting big wear holes on the inner arch liners it made me think that this was the reason the insides were wearing. i will wait to see what the tracking brings up then, see if its out at all.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 16th July 2006, 14:20
I had a few holes on the 855R. Wheel arch liners had sagged down. It really isnt a major concern coz you'll only ever touch them on full lock - i.e. slow speed and you will not do it enough to wear the tyres - I am sure of it.

Rufe
Sunday 16th July 2006, 14:22
fair shout - fingers crossed then :)