PDA

View Full Version : Head unit replacement amp

monkey_boy
Friday 14th July 2006, 15:00
Ok, Back to being a dummy. I know someone out there knows what i am talking about ;)

I am thinking about changing the SC901 in my C70 for a unit that plays home burn CD's and MP3's. I HATE all the flashy neon light rubbish so some of the DVD players with large screens (seen on ebay alot) look good. However i get the impression from looking at some threads a new amp will need to be fitted. Or can i save myself hassle and some dough by hacking the SC901 to play these cd's? (not the MP3 but burnt cd's)

Can i swap the volvo amp out and fit in an aftermarket one? Or will the volvo amp work fine with a new head unit?

If i have to get another amp (heres the big question!) what do i look for? I dont have the pro-logic setup so i dont have to worry about the centre speaker but do i need a 4,6 or 8 channel amp? How much power (my hearing is pretty good and want to keep it that way so nothing too stupid) I prefer crisp sound rather than thumping bass (rock/metal music).

mikej
Friday 14th July 2006, 18:10
I don't know if this applies to all sc901,s but mine played copies no problem , however i had to use a good quality cdr ie datasafe , these were burn't using nero,clone cd etc ???? i can assure you though mine played copies no probs.
mike

Paul
Friday 14th July 2006, 23:34
yea the sc901 only play certain burned disks

monkey_boy
Sunday 16th July 2006, 19:49
Tried the unit with TDK and Philips CD's/ No joy. Maybe i have a model thats just not going to accept burn CD's. So the question is still open. What amp??

Evil Edna
Thursday 10th August 2006, 09:48
jbl gto 6 channel is a good bet. I can get them for about £140. 570 watt per channel, good quality and has a built-in crossover.

fraz13
Thursday 10th August 2006, 10:39
Mate I replaced my 901 with Alpine screen and DVD player and I also had Pro-Logic.....

To be truthful my set up sounds better now (no amp) than it did with the Volvo amp and Pro-Logic....

I never chopped any wires, I just split into them, fitting the Alpine wiring loom... (All original plugs are still in place)

I doubt any amp would be a direct replacement for the Volvo amp so if fitting an aftermarket radio I would think you would need to do a similar job as me to save re-wiring all speakers if you wanted to amplify the speakers....

The way it was in my S70 was the front dash speakers and the front door speakers were all seperate, i.e 4 channels on an amp...... The rear door and rear shelf speakers worked together only using 2 channels so in theory you would only need a 6 channel amp....

What I would suggest tho is replace the front door and dash speakers with a component set which means you would only need a 4 channel amp...

Check this thread for my wiring code, it should help you....

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4781