PDA

View Full Version : geartronic. is there a way to improve it?

Serdar-S60T5
Thursday 13th July 2006, 09:54
hello.

seeing and hearing a lot of people upgrading clutches and stuff on their manual transmissions in order to handle bigger power.

is there any possible way to improve the longevity / reliability / stamina of an auto / geartronic tranny similarly ?...

if there is an affordable way to do this, i'm determined to do it because i can't stand not being able to mod my car because of its damn extra sensitive tranny.

akky
Thursday 13th July 2006, 10:20
i've not actually read anywhere about a rica'd geartronic having problems.

I would think that regular gearbox oilchanges will be recommended.

I've had the same sort of reservations about chipping a geartronic, but noone has said not to.

Steve

T5ER
Thursday 13th July 2006, 10:22
Best have a chat with VT but i have not heard about any problems with them

lance
Thursday 13th July 2006, 10:56
Geartronnic has its own problems with or without ecu upgrades.

Serdar-S60T5
Thursday 13th July 2006, 10:58
the rica 310 bhp package might be doable for the geartronic but further mods to go above that power might cause problems as far as i've heard. like a 19T turbo witha bigger intercooler and so on... the kind of mods that can put me into M3 - S4 category with lets say around 280 whp so to speak... :)

Serdar-S60T5
Thursday 13th July 2006, 11:10
i've not actually read anywhere about a rica'd geartronic having problems.

I would think that regular gearbox oilchanges will be recommended.

I've had the same sort of reservations about chipping a geartronic, but noone has said not to.

Steve
now that you mentioned the oil changes, i was at the dealer's a couple of days ago for regular service and i asked them to change the transmission fluid as well.

the reply i got was that the tranny fluid on a S60 T5 was never to be changed unless there was obvious wear on it due to very aggressive driving or something... the VADIS says clearly that this fluid is supposed to outlast the car unless something extraordinary happens... what they did was to check the level of the fluid and say it was okay...

anyway, i insisted to change it and they said that they would at my own risk, for once the tranny fluid was changed, the geartronic box ecu was almost sure to get mixed up and cause problems and such...

well i couldn't take that risk and i'm still driving a chipped T5 @ 52k miles which has never had its tranny fluid changed since production... :cuckoo:

volvos60t5
Thursday 13th July 2006, 11:41
Here are some interesting links to the swedemonforum concerning geartronic and upgrades:

http://www.swededemon.com/smf/index.php?topic=564.0

http://www.swededemon.com/smf/index.php?topic=325.0

http://www.swededemon.com/smf/index.php?topic=211.0

Serdar-S60T5
Thursday 13th July 2006, 12:50
great thanks mate :)

very helpful information. as far as i can see, rica seems to have solved this problem. and so far they haven't encountered any problems with modified geartronics... so the solution is out there somewhere.

but of course my problem still remains : we don't have rica in turkey!.... :cussing:

now i have a superchip on my car but the first 2 gears still do feel considerably weaker than they should feel. from there i conclude that superchips has not yet found a solution for this matter. nor do i think that they'll ever even try.

but there's a dealer in istanbul for a Wimmer-RST chiptuning company of germany. has anyone heard this chiptuner by any chance?