PDA

View Full Version : Turbo whistle

Mrsmopp
Thursday 31st March 2005, 17:02
Is it a good sign or a bad sign as i am reading various conflicting ideas of late - can anyone clarify?

:confused:

x

Murphy
Thursday 31st March 2005, 17:07
Is it a good sign or a bad sign as i am reading various conflicting ideas of late - can anyone clarify?

:confused:

x

Turbo's do whistle as they spin on average at 100000 rpm :)

Mrsmopp
Thursday 31st March 2005, 17:09
So its a good sign then???

x

Murphy
Thursday 31st March 2005, 17:11
So its a good sign then???

x

it must be working ok if yours is whistling, but yes it is fine to whistle, you would know if you had a turbo problem - so just go on and enjoy her :)

Mrsmopp
Thursday 31st March 2005, 17:15
I'm not worried about mine in particular I know my turbo is ok otherwise it wouldn't hold the sort of boost that it does. What I am trying to determine is why some owners are told that the whistle is a bad thing and their turbo needs replacing and other are told its a good thing and its perfectly healthy? Which is it good or bad cos i'm curfuzzled? :rolleyes2

x

Goof
Thursday 31st March 2005, 17:26
Nats - it's only bad news when it's knacked!
Mine doesn't whistle, but Mrs Goofs old Peugot GTDT did, and her Toyota Estima does a little too.
So either I haven't got a turbo, or it's a quiet one! (or I'm going deaf!). ;)

Mrsmopp
Thursday 31st March 2005, 17:27
Nats - it's only bad news when it's knacked!
Mine doesn't whistle, but Mrs Goofs old Peugot GTDT did, and her Toyota Estima does a little too.
So either I haven't got a turbo, or it's a quiet one! (or I'm going deaf!). ;)

The latter LOL (just kidding of course :kiss: )

x

andi t5
Thursday 31st March 2005, 17:32
i thought the whistling was caused by airflow as it reaches mach 1 at the compressor blade tips,( turbo prop aircraft engines with centrifugal compressors tend to make the same sound) then again i may well be wrong i often am!

siamblue
Thursday 31st March 2005, 18:38
Many a time my passengers have mistaken my Turbo whistle for a Police car siren,Mine whistles so loud,Love it :banana:

SaffronC70
Thursday 31st March 2005, 18:57
you think that's something to do with your metal boost piping ?

stevepud
Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:06
Many a time my passengers have mistaken my Turbo whistle for a Police car siren,Mine whistles so loud,Love it :banana:

I went to look at a 300ZX once, and it whislted so loud I thought my ears were going to bleed.....(well not quite, but you get the idea!!)

Turned out it had a boost leak, not good

S

siamblue
Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:07
It could have Chris never thought about it before,But it is a more direct route for the air,and the metal pipe is bigger bore too. :banana:

Andrew
Thursday 31st March 2005, 21:35
you think that's something to do with your metal boost piping ?

Mine whistles to and goes "duvvvvsssss" when I release the pedal :)

Ross9
Thursday 31st March 2005, 22:13
Don't think pipes in thereself make it whistle, mine should sound like a dawn chorus of happy milkmen and postmen if so...

Exhibit A

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Ross9/engine3.jpg

and it doesn't whistle at all, just loads and loads of whooshing air, and a less than subtle roar out the back when it comes on boost.

If a turbo is whistling but showing no smoke/wear, or dropping of boost, chances are theres nothing wrong with it, Jacqs has had a small wheee noise since getting it. However whistling, or whining, can also be the blades whirring against the hoising if the bearings are away and the shaft is oscillating etc, theres a million things it can be, and "whistling" is a very vague term. A mates turbo did this, and sounded like the police were behind him with a siren on, then ti started givign off whiffs of blue smoke, then the next day, it let go and dumped a sump worth of oil down the exhaust as the shaft snapped and the turbo collapsed internally, nasty.

As has been said already Mrs Mopp, I wouldn/t worry about yours, sounds fine and dandy if its holding boost etc.

Ross

855t5r
Thursday 31st March 2005, 23:01
Mine doesnt whistle as such...it sounds more like a manic Dyson Vacuum cleaner at full flight!!!!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 1st April 2005, 02:25
as you know mine (and Andrew's) are both brand new and both whistle.

The cbv (especially with the drilled box bottom) gives a very nice whoosh on throttle close. Which is why I like tunnels quite a lot. yay! :banana:

I know you are bothered by the lack of umph at the mo. It will be sorted very soon - trust me! New tstat can go on tomorrow when you get to J's?

Mrsmopp
Friday 1st April 2005, 08:49
I'm not worried about my turbo - its purely a reference question! My turbo works perfectly well its a few other bits that are causing the drop in boost.

x

Mrsmopp
Friday 1st April 2005, 10:07
as you know mine (and Andrew's) are both brand new and both whistle.

The cbv (especially with the drilled box bottom) gives a very nice whoosh on throttle close. Which is why I like tunnels quite a lot. yay! :banana:

I know you are bothered by the lack of umph at the mo. It will be sorted very soon - trust me! New tstat can go on tomorrow when you get to J's?

It can wait til Avon Hun cos I'm not sure what time I'll get to his tonight.

Fank woo!

x

Mrsmopp
Friday 1st April 2005, 10:17
Actually - scrap that last comment!

If you could fit it tonight I'd be grateful, it'll give my ECU time to readjust then!

I'll txt you when I get to J's if thats ok?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Giles
Friday 1st April 2005, 12:53
While we are on the subject, it is normal for oil to be in the boost pipes?

siamblue
Friday 1st April 2005, 13:28
If my turbo gives up it will be 19t time :banana:Don't tell the missus :firedevil

rottertron
Friday 1st April 2005, 15:30
At least it will be hidden under the bonnet!!!

spesh
Friday 1st April 2005, 16:03
Mine makes a whoossss sort of noise but that is because there is a crack in the exhaust manifold, but it sounds great!!! But I may aswell change it when I take the head off.
Yes there is a small amount of oil in my boost pipes(run your finger in a pipe, should be thin layer of oil all over the pipe) been told its normal.

Ross9
Friday 1st April 2005, 19:12
Depends how much, ideally no, no oil, but if there is some there it doesnt neccesarily mean anything bad. Oil shoudnt be able to get in there, as only air should be there, drawn in through the intake, compressed and shoved round the pipes, any oil has to come from the turbo's air seals not beign 100%, or pressure in the rocker cover shoving some oil down the breathers, so that it is drawn in through the turbo and into the boost pipes, I'm assuming a T5's breather pipes go to the intake hose, prior to the turbo "as the air flows"

Ross

Check where it is, is it after the turbo, before the turbo etc

Pedro Fandango
Friday 1st April 2005, 19:24
I'm assuming a T5's breather pipes go to the intake hose, prior to the turbo "as the air flows"
yep