PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounts

LeeVTi
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 18:27
Oh dear, i think i have broken the top engine mount on my T4, every time i press the throttle "clunk" and every time i come off the throttle "clunk" and every gear change, you guessed it "clunk", there is visable marks on the mounting braket and after some consultations with an ex volvo parts man friend of mine he told me that these were a common item, and volvo produced a modified mount.

wondered if anybody local to me would be willing to lend me a hand (and some extra tools) to get it changed, its only 4 bolts but i havent got an engine hoist or even a trolley jack to hold the engine up from underneath..

HELP!!!

kimbaleeg
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 18:58
hello mate is it the very top mount at the right hand rear ov engine comes from bulkhead if so you dont need trolly or anything to hald engine up i did one on my s80 by myself like you say 4 bolts off and back on with new one hope this helps unfortinatley live to far to lend a hand

LeeVTi
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 19:06
thanks kimbaleeg, but its the one on the left of the engine bay at the top just in front of the suspention strut looking at the engine bay from the front to back (drivers side)

kimbaleeg
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 19:17
ahh right must be different on s40 as there wasnt one on drivers side on s80 nor on my s70 i think is there another on passsenger side if not its the one i said before just on different side if it comes out bulk head with metal type arms u should nt need to hold engine but not 100 per cent sure on this if u could get picture might be better

LeeVTi
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 19:21
i know this is useless without pics to show you but it looks as if there is 3 bolts onto the engine its self and 1 big bolt through the bush and the mounting to the body and nothing else holds that side up

kimbaleeg
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 19:24
sounds the same as the s80 so shouldnt need any thing for engine just unbolt the one through the bush first then the bolts on engine and reverse to but back on should be that easy i think umay have to loosen the mounts to the body to get the bush out good luck if u still not 100% would have word with a garage they should be able to tell u proberley. when i did my s80 i spoke to volvo parts person when i bought the mount u could also get yourself a hyanes manuall this might help like i said still not 100% sure though might be someone with s40 will give u more help

LeeVTi
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 19:29
thanks for ya advise i will have a go once the parts appear at the dealers, so i'll see how i get on as long as the engine dont fall out i reckon i will cope lol

so ya reckon unbolt the 1 in the bush first then the other 3 and reverse to put it back on how hard can that be.........famous last words lol

kimbaleeg
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 19:38
thanks for ya advise i will have a go once the parts appear at the dealers, so i'll see how i get on as long as the engine dont fall out i reckon i will cope lol

so ya reckon unbolt the 1 in the bush first then the other 3 and reverse to put it back on how hard can that be.........famous last words lol
thats wot i did for the s80 bolt on too engine first then the bolt through bush when refitting. have a good look at the new part and work from that as old bush will be scragggy with it being broke good luck dont try if u not 100% though learnt the hard way myself when wasnt sure on things

LeeVTi
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 19:42
ive just managed to sort a friend to help me do it on saturday so theres a few more days driving it round with a broke mount, only to and from work thankfully which isnt far only a couple of mile so shouldnt do to much damage hopefully

kimbaleeg
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 19:48
ive just managed to sort a friend to help me do it on saturday so theres a few more days driving it round with a broke mount, only to and from work thankfully which isnt far only a couple of mile so shouldnt do to much damage hopefully
should not doo any damage if you drive miss daisy amd good luck on sat

LeeVTi
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 19:51
thanks again