PDA

View Full Version : Distributor cap and leads

monkey_boy
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:39
I have a suspected "hickup" or stutter" when the car is damp/cold (could be my over fertile imagination :) ) My hugely expensive service didnt show anything but i suspect it could be the damp and dizzy cap. Only problem is i cannot find a part listed for the cap on 2000+ model cars. Am i missing something?

Mrsmopp
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:40
I have a suspected "hickup" or stutter" when the car is damp/cold (could be my over fertile imagination :) ) My hugely expensive service didnt show anything but i suspect it could be the damp and dizzy cap. Only problem is i cannot find a part listed for the cap on 2000+ model cars. Am i missing something?

Yes, they dont have a dizzy cap (IIRC)

x

T5ER
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:48
if it has the coil leads fitted then it could be 1 of them(i.e the coils are fitted directlyonto the plugleads)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 10th July 2006, 17:34
ME7 doesnt have dissy/cap - it has coil packs which take a much lower input voltage (essentially each plug has its own coil) - these can go faulty - but I would start with the plugs first

monkey_boy
Monday 10th July 2006, 21:31
cheers for the input. It has literaly just come back from a major service so i doubt its the plugs. Think i will let them take a look and see what they didnt find in the service!

Vikingxl
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 07:33
Might not have seated the leads back onto the plugs properly mate give that a check first

monkey_boy
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 08:56
Will do. I have contacted the main dealer who did the service. They are reluctant to look (after a £1300 bill!) They said they had fixed it but this morning in the damp it was pretty bad. In the dry its almost perfect (when cold the occational stutter) Its not a pronounced misfire. More like detonation (carbon build up in the cylinder) which i know its not. I think i will have a look at the leads and plugs and check any "wet" spot. I think i need a can of WD40 :)

Phuturephantasy
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 09:14
£1300 - Bloody Hell That must have been one hell of an in depth service mate !!

And if they aren't prepared to even have a look at it after shelling out that kind of money and it's not right I would be Livid, I'd march straight in there speak to the Manager and hand him the keys and insist they have a look at it and sort it out before I have to take it to a higher level.

Had a similar situation with a FMD, got it sorted though.

T5ER
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 10:53
did they put any additives in the fuel and oil on the service or not check your invoice,as said check the plug leads are seated properly aswell

monkey_boy
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 18:19
well. i stuffed some ZX1 extralube in but it should cause this Plus. New update. I realised the aircon was on. I get no cold air (being recharged this weekend) but when i switch this off it seems to stop the stutter. I am not so worried but totally confused now!