PDA

View Full Version : s60 2.4T differences

whin25
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:20
So I decided against an 850 T5 and went for a 2002 S60 2.4 Turbo S

I noticed that it has 200bhp and the s60 R has 300?

What is creating the extra 100bhp? Is the engine different or is it just the components and would it be possible to get my 2.4T upto T5 or R spec without serious cash involved?

T5ER
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:22
different animal all together mate i think it has a different turbo and different ecu VT TUNING will no a bit more about that side of things as will some other members on here

griffiths811
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:23
Is the S60 R a 6 cylinder 3.0?

Mrsmopp
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:23
different animal all together mate i think it has a different turbo and different ecu VT TUNING will no a bit more about that side of things as will some other members on here

FYI PPFG its Either VT or VolvoTuning theres not 2 T's in VT ;) lol

x

T5ER
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:26
FYI PPFG its Either VT or VolvoTuning theres not 2 T's in VT ;) lol

x
Ta hun just took me a few mins to work out FYI PPFG but got it MM

lance
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:27
Is the S60 R a 6 cylinder 3.0?

No 2.5 5 cylinder high pressure turbo

Al115
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:30
The two engines are completely different animals... different capacities, different internals, different anciliaries... different.

lance
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:34
So I decided against an 850 T5 and went for a 2002 S60 2.4 Turbo S

I noticed that it has 200bhp and the s60 R has 300?

What is creating the extra 100bhp? Is the engine different or is it just the components and would it be possible to get my 2.4T upto T5 or R spec without serious cash involved?

You could get it to almost standard T5 power with a remap , but if you want more than that it would be cheaper to buy a T5.
As far as I am aware yours is a low pressure turbo with a high compression engine the T5 and R variants are High pressure turbo low compression ratio engines.

whin25
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:53
ok just wanted to get that cleared up as i need to set a myself a bhp goal for mod, i'm looking to get 250bhp without having to upgrade the turbo which i think should be possible.

lance
Monday 10th July 2006, 17:59
Possibly , I would get in touch with VT, or go for a T5 which would already have 250-260 Bhp and able to hit 300+ with just a remap

Serdar-S60T5
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 07:16
ok just wanted to get that cleared up as i need to set a myself a bhp goal for mod, i'm looking to get 250bhp without having to upgrade the turbo which i think should be possible.

hey mate. 250 bhp on a LPT should be achievable with only a re-map or even a chip and exhaust. but once you do that, it won't be enough. then you'll start looking at a turbo swap and a remap. i'd try and go for a T5 version to begin with, if i were you.
but whatever you choose to do, be sure not to buy an auto or a geartronic tranny. especially if you're looking to seriously mod this car. trust me. auto tranny is crap. buy a manual.
good luck :)

whin25
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 16:57
well my fastest car so far has been a peugeot 206 1.6 xsi so i don't want to jump straight into an extremely fast car. 200bhp should be enough to start with then once i'm used to the difference in power i can upgrade the exahust and get it chipped and hopefully be pushing 250.

dreadly
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 17:51
A sensible option, I agree. The T5 can be a bit of a pussycat though, you don't have to push it to the limit.

GATHY
Monday 17th July 2006, 10:09

BSR do a PPC for it which will take it straight to 252 bhp for £475 =vat which makes it cheaper than a ricaz with more returns imoa

http://www.bsruk.co.uk/ppc.htm

nealer
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 13:05
Has anyone on the forum used the BSR kit... be interested to hear some feedback... seems like a cost effective way to get 'near-as' T5 performance...

volvotuning
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 13:46
Alan (a member on here) who is also from Ireland bought one from us a while ago and seems to be very happy with it.

You must run it on 98 RON fuel especially if you are tuning it, otherwise you won't get anywhere near the quoted power gains.

Adam.

nealer
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 13:54
that's freaky - I was just looking on your site ... couldn't find the BSR tho...

Ideally the RICA upgrade would be my preference, but we don't have an installation centre over here :(

With the BSR being plug and play.. its seems the best option and I like the idea of being able to go back to the stock s/w.

Can you PM me with price for the BSR.

Thanks!

GATHY
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 15:24
that's freaky - I was just looking on your site ... couldn't find the BSR tho...

Ideally the RICA upgrade would be my preference, but we don't have an installation centre over here :(

With the BSR being plug and play.. its seems the best option and I like the idea of being able to go back to the stock s/w.

Can you PM me with price for the BSR.

Thanks!

sounds like i made your mind for you lol ''
BSR means no opening of the ecu etc and if you play further with your car you can download new setups for it i believe direct from bsr
it comes in slightly cheaper than rica and gains are alot more,
as on the rica lines,upsolute do similar power gains and its around £300 for simon to come to your house and flash your ecu so i opted for a upsolute on my t4 and i was impressed with it enough to recommend it anyway
depends on how much you want to spend.in my case its as little as possible for as much as possible power wise.
so get a bsr ppc a downpipe and a nitrous bottle lol

volvotuning
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 15:32
sounds like i made your mind for you lol ''
BSR means no opening of the ecu etc and if you play further with your car you can download new setups for it i believe direct from bsr
it comes in slightly cheaper than rica and gains are alot more,
as on the rica lines,upsolute do similar power gains and its around £300 for simon to come to your house and flash your ecu so i opted for a upsolute on my t4 and i was impressed with it enough to recommend it anyway
depends on how much you want to spend.in my case its as little as possible for as much as possible power wise.
so get a bsr ppc a downpipe and a nitrous bottle lol

Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as that. If you go for the stage 3 BSR for example, you would normally need to send the ECU off to BSR. The internet updates are really there for resolving any running issues with the stage 1 upgrade or downloading new software if it's not available yet.

ps. Both RICA and BSR are OBDII upgrades.

Adam.

Serdar-S60T5
Thursday 20th July 2006, 08:12
hey..
a few words on BSR.
i've contacted "partsforvolvosonline" for the PPC upgrade. now i don't know if anyone actually cares for the "quoted" power gains by these tuning companies, but what i noticed was this :
for my 2001 S60 T5 2.3 liter turbo, BSR was quoting a 250 bhp standard and 299 bhp with the PPC upgrade. thus, a 49 bhp increase.
then, i checked the dyno graphs and realized that the particular S60 T5 they tested and posted on their site was originally 260 bhp as stock, although the quoted factory output was supposed to be 250.
i emailed them and asked about this 10 bhp difference.
they told me " the S60 T5 must have 10 bhp more than volvo actually quote, so the outcome was 299 bhp "
i was like " well, i see this particular one you tested has more power than it should have as a stock T5 but that may not be the case with every S60 T5, right? "
i mean my S60 T5 is a regular 250 bhp. so should i be expecting a 39 bhp increase or a 49 bhp increase, based on your statement?
they did not answer.