PDA

View Full Version : Clicking doors

griffiths811
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:18
Got home from work today and decided to put an end to my clicking doors, I managed to undo the check strap on the drivers door and removed the door with no problems only to find someone has already attempted to weld where the spot welds have failed and now their welds have failed! i've left the check strap off for now.....

The passenger door proved a bugger and i'm ashamed to say i lost my temper when the torx bit ATE the inside of the check strap securing bolt... so now i'm buggered! The passenger side was the worse too, it echo's down the street every time we open the door.... anyway, i havent got a tap and dye set or whatever it is... so, what can i use? or shall i leave it to a garage?

T5ER
Monday 10th July 2006, 16:24
get a garage to do it mate unless you can get to the bolt with ease if so weld a nut on it and remove then replace with a new bolt mate

griffiths811
Monday 10th July 2006, 17:14
Yeah, now i know how easy it is to remove the door i'll let the garage sort it.
They gonna bleed my abs unit or somethin tomorrow

BlackBeast
Monday 10th July 2006, 17:22
Arent u lucky u found this site :)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 10th July 2006, 17:30
didnt we unearth the how 2 somewhere on the check strap repair process? I dont think it involves any welding either?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 10th July 2006, 17:30
didnt we unearth the how 2 somewhere on the check strap repair process? I dont think it involves any welding either?

griffiths811
Monday 10th July 2006, 17:56
yeah it involves drilling 2 holes and bending a spanner, excellent write up tho, gave me the confidence to have a look myself, just need to find the same size nuts as the spanner i'm going to bend.... anyone seen Uri Gellar??

griffiths811
Monday 10th July 2006, 17:57
Arent u lucky u found this site :)

Yeah..... i was on Volvospeed for a while, until someone told me bout this site!

BlackBeast
Monday 10th July 2006, 18:01
Yeah..... i was on Volvospeed for a while, until someone told me bout this site!

:):thewave: :anmflower

poochingaround
Monday 10th July 2006, 18:28
If you have any problems let me know as i have riv nuts and insertion tools for various sizes .This involves drilling out the old bolt and insert and crimping in a new one 5mins tops

jimmyc
Monday 10th July 2006, 18:43
pooch, you need to speak to dicky b t5 he had a big prob with door strap and he sorted it out,he left a couple of links ect regards jim:cussing:

Babybadger
Monday 10th July 2006, 19:04
The fix was posted here http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-8706.html

and more importantly the pictures are here http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/door-stay_fix.html

dicky b t5
Monday 10th July 2006, 19:37
Thats the one BB....Its still going strong ...!!lol :mischievo

t5tart
Monday 10th July 2006, 20:42
when i took my check strap out last week i found the clicking was that the check strap itsself had sheared where it bolts to the door
not the other more common place of the mount on the a pillar

wired

griffiths811
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 05:56
yeah, thats where i got the info from.

kmb
Monday 17th August 2015, 14:27
Thread revival - My driver's door started clicking twice when opened on the day of my MOT last Friday, on closer inspection it is clear the door check strap weld on the A Pillar is starting to crack and flex. The MOT was passed but they did raise the clicking door check strap as an advisory.

The door still works fine and the check strap is still quite well connected, but I dug out this thread as I like to ensure any advisories are quickly resolved.

There seem to be two options for the fix:

1. Take door off (this part looks very simple) and get the check strap A Pillar part rewelded.
2. Take door off and use some bolt type and bent spanner repair.

Unfortunately the links in the thread above are now broken. Can anyone talk me through 2. or find any other references to this type of repair?

Additionally, has anyone successfully done either and in a month or so, when I am back UK side, wants to earn themselves some beer tokens?

Thanks in advance good people of the forum :)

jamesy12345
Monday 17th August 2015, 15:52
Repaired link

http://www.geocities.ws/ozbrick850/door-stay_fix.html

kmb
Monday 17th August 2015, 16:14
Repaired link

http://www.geocities.ws/ozbrick850/door-stay_fix.html

Many thanks - You're a star!

That doesn't look too difficult and I think I'd also fit some nice big washers on the inside. It only started Friday so hopefully will be caught in time.

Removal of the door seems to be loosening off the grub screw on the top hinge, plus undoing the torx screw on the door check strap, then the retaining screw on the electrical connector and remove with a twist as mentioned in the thread below. Then lifting disconnected door off hinges.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?23091-door-check-strap&highlight=door+check+strap

kmb
Wednesday 9th September 2015, 14:22
Planning to do this little repair next week, looking forward to stopping the creaky noise!

kmb
Saturday 19th September 2015, 21:58
Quick update on this topic! Did the repair today, quite straight forward following the link posted above. No more noise from the drivers door... bliss!

Many thanks to all those that helped. I used two 16mm long M6 stainless flanged bolts and lock nuts.