PDA

View Full Version : Locking Wheel Nut

griffiths811
Saturday 8th July 2006, 19:21
Anyone know where i can get a locking wheel nut for 1998 S70? I tried the volvo main dealer but was told if i didnt have the key pass or something then there was nothing they could do.... I'm stuck without it!

heyes
Saturday 8th July 2006, 19:29
I have a new pack of wheel locking nuts, if interested PM

griffiths811
Saturday 8th July 2006, 19:37
might be interested in a new set if i can get the old ones off

griffiths811
Saturday 8th July 2006, 19:38
SOrry, my first thread should have said Locking wheel nut KEY... mi need the KEY to get my nuts off

heyes
Saturday 8th July 2006, 19:42
Painfull !

Mrsmopp
Saturday 8th July 2006, 19:46
There are hundreds of variations of the key for the Volvo lockers, if you manage to stumble accross the right one then you are very lucky!!

x

t5 stealth
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:13
iv got a socket set to remove locking nuts that have no key,
im happy to post them to you if you want to borrow them

griffiths811
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:19
how does it work?

t5 stealth
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:27
its a set of 4 sockets (difrent diameters)
inside each socket is a left handed thread,
just push socket that fits over your wheel nut then undo it,it bites into the old nut & undoes them,
works best with an air gun as u can push the socket on harder as u undo with the air gun,iv used them a few times mostly on volvo as the lockin nuts are crap,main problem is people do them up to tight,
had to remove the nuts of a mambers car last week,wheel bolt actualy sheared of wen i tried to undo it but the socket set removed them easy.

griffiths811
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:28
this is a pic of the wheel nut, hope this helps

t5 stealth
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:30
what picture

griffiths811
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:33
ok, no picture as it exceeds the amount allowed by the site....

t5 stealth
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:35
it shouldnt matter wot type you got on your car,these fit over most wheel nuts,

griffiths811
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:40
Here's the pic..... do you think it will be able to remove this?

t5 stealth
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:43
yeah thats all they have removed lately,
standard volvo lockers
your welcome to borrow them if you want,
or if you try your local parts factors they may have a set,
i think i paid approx £18.00 for them,,cant remember,was a wile ago & iv slept since then

griffiths811
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:48
yes please, if i could borrow them that would be fantastic, i'll re-emburse your postage costs too, how shall i give you my address?

t5 stealth
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:52
iv sent u a pm,
you should see it

T5pike
Sunday 9th July 2006, 20:53
Hi there. Your locking wheelnut remover willnot work on volvos. They are the same as mercs, they have a hardened collar which rotates without turning the nut..
I remove volvo locking nuts on a daily basis, all you need is a mig welder, some old wheelbolts from the scrappy, blue masking tape and a bit of water.
Stick 3 or 4 layers of tape on the wheel surrounding the nut/bolt to protect the paint on the wheel from burning. Wet the tape and then weld the old bolt to the centre of the locking wheel nut/bolt. Allow a minute to cool and bob's your uncle!!!

T5pike
Sunday 9th July 2006, 20:58
Another option: you can use a 10mm belt sander to grind the hardened face off the locking wheel bolt which reveals soft steel behind it, so it then can be drilled for the use of a 'good' stud extractor, ie snap-on. Either of these methods will work but this one takes a bit longer.

t5 stealth
Sunday 9th July 2006, 22:24
well they worked on the last 3 volvos ive done

Mrsmopp
Sunday 9th July 2006, 22:26
VT spent hours trying to get my volvo lockers off, they only managed three of them (we ran out of time) with various tools, lots of swearing and brute force

x

t5 stealth
Sunday 9th July 2006, 22:30
i admit sometimes they can be a pain to remove but generally i dont have a problem with them,
i just push harder on the airgun & it bites into the nut/bolt

t5 stealth
Sunday 9th July 2006, 22:31
the last volvo i did a few days ago only took 2 minits to remove them

T5pike
Sunday 9th July 2006, 23:57
Sorry im not saying they dont work at all i only work on all models 2005 onwards and have not been able to find any outher root to remove.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 10th July 2006, 00:03
Have you tried the bash a 19mm socket over them and force them off. my key broke and that was the only way to get them off....

Mrsmopp
Monday 10th July 2006, 13:29
The volvo lockers have a spinning collar on them so no amount of jamming sockets over them will work unfortunately

x

Phuturephantasy
Monday 10th July 2006, 13:42
Just had a look at mine and they don't have any spinning collars on them so i could use a reverse threaded socket on mine to get em off.

Either someone changed em or Volvo do different types.

Mrsmopp
Monday 10th July 2006, 13:44
Just had a look at mine and they don't have any spinning collars on them so i could use a reverse threaded socket on mine to get em off.

Either someone changed em or Volvo do different types.

You must ahve the cheap ones :haha: LOL ;)

x

Rufe
Monday 10th July 2006, 13:55
in work we have used a funnel type thing slipped over the nut, which allows you to weld a nut on without risking damage to the alloys

kimbaleeg
Monday 10th July 2006, 15:10
hi volvo took mine off when they got stuck with dimond tip drill bit and i bought aftermarket ones. company i worked for had 26 s80s and i atleast half ov them have had probs with volvo locking nuts sticking all have changed too the aftermarket ones with no probs

parkhouse
Saturday 13th June 2009, 20:52
Rufe advised me to contact the OEM suppliers of locking wheel nuts when I lost my key - www.mcgard.de - and they replied to my email asking for a scan of the nut (in focus and looking directly at it), a scan of my driving licence and one of the car's registration document. The cost is Euro 18 for one and 30 for two. I'm expecting it to arrive on Tuesday so I'll let you know if it fits!

parkhouse
Thursday 18th June 2009, 15:57
It fits - thanks, Rufe.