PDA

View Full Version : upgrading turbo 2001 2.0

Paul
Friday 7th July 2006, 23:43
well i was told i could upgrade my current turbo to a 15g or 16 is this doable? its the lpt also what else is upgradeable.
just looking at all my options

Wobbly Dave
Friday 7th July 2006, 23:58
Depends what you want, tuning wise.
Ultimately you're on a uphill struggle just to get level with the stock T5. I'd save my money and put it towards starting from a position of greater strength. If you are after more power then tuning a T5 makes more sense.

volvotuning
Saturday 8th July 2006, 01:09
well i was told i could upgrade my current turbo to a 15g or 16 is this doable? its the lpt also what else is upgradeable.
just looking at all my options

Hi Paul,

There's plenty you can do with yours. First of all, it's relatively simple to get yours to "faster than T5" performance.

All you need to do that is this -

1. ECU Upgrade
2. Race-Cat downpipe

That would cost approx £1300 and get you about 240 bhp and 380 Nm.

However, even an ECU upgrade alone will get you close to T5 performance with 225 bhp and 360 Nm and cost under £600. So before looking at the turbo swapping route, it's worth considering tuning with the turbo you've got. It's a small turbo and spools up quick and responds well to tuning.

If you decide you want to go the larger turbo route, bear in mind that the higher compression of this engine will be a disadvantage when trying to run big boost as this engine is more prone to pinking than the T5 engine.

Adam.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 8th July 2006, 01:13
My point was that even after that compared with a tuned T5 he is starting from a lesser position than having a T5 in the first place?

But the smaller turbo will be better for quick starts??

Paul
Saturday 8th July 2006, 08:37
thanks adam guess ill cool her in. i think people really under estimate the 2.0 i find it very nippy

After_Shock
Saturday 8th July 2006, 21:59
2.0 is a very good engine, as mentioned the turbo is small so power is pretty much instant.