PDA

View Full Version : What brake discs?

MarkGolf
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 21:02
Hi, my T5's in need of new brakes..
Im quite a 'speedy' driver and am heavy on the brakes when Im driving it a bit hard. So much so they were smoking the other night..

What so you recommend, not up for a conversion, just direct bolt on discs.. preferably drilled as the OE ones suffer from brake fade majorly I find!
What pads too...
Thanks

rich850t5
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 22:10
hello mark most on here seem to be going down the ebc route,get drilled disk's not cut disks as on my old honda it would eat pads.Now onto the pad issue i've always sworn by PAGID brake pads they DO NOT FADE and yes i drive hard and brake late/heavy too the brakes on the honda (accord 2.2 vtec jap import)are amazing but they are not cheap @ £60 a front set

MarkGolf
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 23:16
Nice one buddy!
How much are the EBC's out of interest?

siamblue
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 23:19
The EBCs are a bit dear,If you have 280mm go the Brembo and DSF Ferodo pads,As the 280 EBCs don't like our heavy cars,But on 302s i have had no problem at all with the drilled and grooved Turbo Groove.

rich850t5
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 23:26
The EBCs are a bit dear,If you have 280mm go the Brembo and DSF Ferodo pads,As the 280 EBCs don't like our heavy cars,But on 302s i have had no problem at all with the drilled and grooved Turbo Groove.Did you not find that they wear pads quicker i understand the deglazing issue but with the pagid pad drilled is all you need as the just don't fade ive tried! Rich :rally_dri

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 31st March 2005, 00:36
I have heard really bad things about EBC for the 850 T5 (280mm).

Fine old plain Brembo disks and Ferodo DS2000 or DS2500 are great - they never fade and I have found a way to stop them squeaking at slow speeds - which I believe is a common problem.

Rich, I think that most have NOT gone down the EBC route - coz the crack disks, shed brake dust and are generally rubbish, IMHO.

glock19
Thursday 31st March 2005, 03:46
I've order a full set of rotors from the following link and have convinced two of my friends to do the same :
Dics - UK (www.webparts.co.uk/National/Appguide/Brake_frame.htm)

Nicer ones will be from Australia :
Disc - Australia (http://www.dba.com.au/default.asp )

Else maybe you can try Kalmar Union...

siamblue
Thursday 31st March 2005, 05:20
Did you not find that they wear pads quicker i understand the deglazing issue but with the pagid pad drilled is all you need as the just don't fade ive tried! Rich :rally_dri

No i don't find the pads are wearing rapidly,Also the Red stuff pads i am using are not that dusty :B_thumb:
If you have the 280mms on the fronts don't go the EBC route.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 31st March 2005, 12:55
I just put Redtuff pads in mine, not done much driving yet to notice a difference either way but they look sexy against a black wheel lol. :rally_dri

rich850t5
Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:00
I have heard really bad things about EBC for the 850 T5 (280mm).

Fine old plain Brembo disks and Ferodo DS2000 or DS2500 are great - they never fade and I have found a way to stop them squeaking at slow speeds - which I believe is a common problem.

Rich, I think that most have NOT gone down the EBC route - coz the crack disks, shed brake dust and are generally rubbish, IMHO.I STAND WELL AND TRULY CORRECTED! ho hum :o

Justin
Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:50
Did you not find that they wear pads quicker i understand the deglazing issue but with the pagid pad drilled is all you need as the just don't fade ive tried! Rich :rally_dri
Bet i can make them fade mate, dont go EBC, stick with standard brembo disks and ds pads, no fade at all, ever! ;)

I had mintex fast road pads and after 20 mins of stop start hammering they faded, i nearly ditched it :(

Wobbly Dave
Friday 1st April 2005, 02:16
I STAND WELL AND TRULY CORRECTED! ho hum :o

I was not having a dig honest. I have over the last year of ownership collected and read many things one being about brakes.

I am trying to convey the majority opinion on these things so you don't have to re-learn by old mistakes.

IMHO EBC just don't work with the 850.

Take heart. When I told Hamish (nearly a year ago) I was planning to buy EBC red stuff pads - he nearly tore my head off. :firedevil

Looking back, to be honest I am glad he did.

MikeMitch
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 23:04
Any opinion on OMP Road Sports Pads, not bad price at £36.00 delivered for a front set.

Mike

After_Shock
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 23:29
Avoid drilled discs especially on front heavy cars as they are surprisingly easy to crack, especially if you hit a puddle when their hot!

The grooved are better than plain discs but as mentioned they do increase pad wear but also increase braking performance, depends on whats more important really.