PDA

View Full Version : fitting my new stereo

Paul
Friday 7th July 2006, 19:06
wow so many wires.

right a options connect using seperate amp or the normal setup bare in mind my car dont have the center speaker

Rufe
Friday 7th July 2006, 19:24
i know this probably is not a good reply post answer, but i paid £30 to the local sextons store to fit the in dash unit (including the remote hideaway unit). took them not far from 4 hours, £30 well spent. because of this, i cant help you sorry, it was a minefield of wiring, put me right off

Paul
Friday 7th July 2006, 19:37
ah k guess ill do that as your right looks like an advanced time bomb

Paul
Friday 7th July 2006, 19:39
but the thing that baffler me is that the old headunit has a plug where the amp is plugged into and new one doesnt. anyone know me any fitters in the north east?

fraz13
Friday 7th July 2006, 20:24
I put up the colour codes in this thread before...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4781

Paul
Saturday 8th July 2006, 11:41
damn everywhere i went gonna cost about 150 as they want to bypass the amp

fraz13
Saturday 8th July 2006, 11:44
Do it yourself then and read the thread above........

Paul
Saturday 8th July 2006, 11:55
Yea but as i have never fitted one before seems like a big risk

Rufe
Saturday 8th July 2006, 14:19
wow £150! sounds like i had a good deal then. i dont think it would be that difficult, but probably quite time consuming

Paul
Saturday 8th July 2006, 14:37
yea they said 4 to 6 hours

r7uss
Monday 10th July 2006, 17:27
i had exactly the same problem with the amps runnin the speakers on a standard headunit, when i bought an aftermarket headunit.
if its not too late and you haven't messed about with the wiring, you can get a lead with converts the standard amp lead(multi-pin plug, like you get with cd autochangers) into two sets of RCA leads, which then plug into you pre-outs in the back of a standard headunit.
hope this helps

Paul
Monday 10th July 2006, 19:16
already got it fitted :( the guy said that the amps in the headunit where great ones and that they are! sound quality and bass is 50% better!

arbee
Monday 10th July 2006, 20:00
i would spend the money on a half decent aftermarket amp which will be a huge improvement over the head unit - got a tatty but high quality one you could have for £50

monkey_boy
Thursday 13th July 2006, 09:45
Sorry for a total spaz question but car stereos have never been my thing (he says whilst dumping on his dad to do :) ) but i have a standard (non prologic) setup and was thinking of changing the head unit (used to MP3 playback) How much of a job is it? And would a haynes manual be of any use? They dont do one for the 2000+ C/V/S70 but the older one should have the same wiring setup?

Paul
Thursday 13th July 2006, 10:23
cost me 90 quid fully wired

monkey_boy
Thursday 13th July 2006, 10:29
So i guess its not that difficult then.

arbee
Thursday 13th July 2006, 10:37
very easy job to change the head unit - you can buy adapter facia and adapter leads (short loom). takes 15 mins tops :)

Paul
Thursday 13th July 2006, 11:42
its not 15 mins ;-) especially if your new headunit has built in amps using 2 amps will male the sound naf you need to bypass built in amp

Brian
Thursday 13th July 2006, 11:56
This could be of some use:
http://www.volvospeed.com/vs_forum/lofiversion/index.php/f13.html

arbee
Thursday 13th July 2006, 12:02
if you want to use the volvo amps, you need to feed them with the signal from the 'pre-outs' RCA/phono type plugs from your headunit. As I said, I would use a separte amp and bypass both the head unit and volvo amps. Alternatively if you really want to use the volvo amp, make a lead up as per Fraz's link. Have you tried running it of the head unit power? mit might sound acceptable?

monkey_boy
Thursday 13th July 2006, 16:14
So, dummys guide. I need to bypass the volvo amp(s) and wire in the new head unit to a seperate amp (i agree internal amps on head units are aweful) where are the Volvo amps and can they be removed or better still swapped for an aftermarket amp?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere or blindingly obvious. This is an area where i am a total noob

monkey_boy
Thursday 13th July 2006, 16:22
Just looked at some amps. What the hell do i look for??? (i suddenly feel quite stupid :slap: ) I have the NON prologic setup. So i think there are 8 speakers. 8 channel amp? I dont go for the "boom box" sound. Just crisp high treble (metal music) Sorry for the dummy questions!

r7uss
Friday 14th July 2006, 17:43
monkey boy noticed you're from round the same area as me, have you heard of GK's in Colchester??

monkey_boy
Thursday 20th July 2006, 10:17
Yeah. i know GK's. Any good? I know they do some nice custom cut vinyl :)

r7uss
Thursday 20th July 2006, 20:16
yes mate got my stereo fitted there bout £50 quid but that included wiring for my subs in the boot. they did a good job