PDA

View Full Version : T5 Oil & Tyre Questions

H18JGM
Friday 7th July 2006, 00:20
Hi people,

I recently bought a 1994 T5 Estate with 93k & FSH. It was just going to be a load lugger and transportation for the dogs, but... I actually really love it now! Infact I use it and leave the Merc CLK at home nine times out of ten!

I have a couple of questions that I need help with...

1. The car has dark grey 17" alloys (Titans?), which I assume were an option, as the book only mentions 15" & 16" wheels. At the moment it has different sized tyres on the front (205/40/17, which will shortly need replaced) than on the back (215/40/17). What should it actually have?? Is it supposed to be 205/45/17's?

2. What type of oil do you reccommend for the T5? I've always used Mobil 1 in any quick cars I've had over the years. Would I be better with 10w40 or 15w50?

Many thanks in advance,

Jamie

T5SLAVE
Friday 7th July 2006, 00:28
Hi Jamie,
Welcome aboard!

I changed my oil recently n dropped Magnatec 10W-40 in it, not sure if it's the best stuff 2 use but had no complaints from the mill under the bonnet...YET!

As for the tyres, I'm not 100% certain but I think the wheels u talk of r 17" x 7" wide? If this is the case, then probably 205's would best suit. I cannot say for sure tho m8, so best wait until someone who has the said wheels see's this n answers ya!

Take it easy
Mark.

thunderace
Friday 7th July 2006, 01:28
welcome to the forum, use mobil 1 myself - everybody has their own idea, just use a good un but reasonably priced.
got 225/45/17's on mine with 7 1/2's - again there's no definative answer, so long as the tyres are suitable size for the rims and don't rub, should be fine

t5 stealth
Friday 7th July 2006, 07:15
im asuming the car had 16s on it,
215/45/17 will keep the rolling radius the same,
any other size mite put the rolling radius out & cause your speedo to be wrong,also if you have 2 difrent size tyres on it then you mite end up with abs light on as the car thinks 2 wheels are giong faster than 2 others etc so it may throw up a light,if you got abs on it,
im sure someone else on here will correct me if im wrong
hope that helps

Babybadger
Friday 7th July 2006, 14:54
Hi people,

I recently bought a 1994 T5 Estate with 93k & FSH. It was just going to be a load lugger and transportation for the dogs, but... I actually really love it now! Infact I use it and leave the Merc CLK at home nine times out of ten!

I have a couple of questions that I need help with...

1. The car has dark grey 17" alloys (Titans?), which I assume were an option, as the book only mentions 15" & 16" wheels. At the moment it has different sized tyres on the front (205/40/17, which will shortly need replaced) than on the back (215/40/17). What should it actually have?? Is it supposed to be 205/45/17's?

2. What type of oil do you reccommend for the T5? I've always used Mobil 1 in any quick cars I've had over the years. Would I be better with 10w40 or 15w50?

Many thanks in advance,

Jamie

1. I think 215/45/17's should be fine and won't alter the speedo that much. The standard size of the T5 wheels was 205/50 x 16, and they never came with 15" wheels (I think)
From this site http://www.web-cars.com/cgi-bin/tirechange.pl

Tire/Wheel Compensation Report
The circumference of the P205/50 x 16 original tire is 75.6208 inches

The circumference of the P215/45 x 17 aftermarket tire is 77.3400 inches

Your speedometer reading is 97.7% of your true speed.

The ratio of your old vs. new tires is 0.97.

The current differential ratio is:
To retain the same overall gear ratio, you will need a differential with a 0 ratio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Without correction, your speedometer error will be:

Indicated speed: 10 mph. Actual Speed: 10.2 mph.
Indicated speed: 15 mph. Actual Speed: 15.3 mph.
Indicated speed: 20 mph. Actual Speed: 20.4 mph.
Indicated speed: 25 mph. Actual Speed: 25.5 mph.
Indicated speed: 30 mph. Actual Speed: 30.6 mph.
Indicated speed: 35 mph. Actual Speed: 35.7 mph.
Indicated speed: 40 mph. Actual Speed: 40.9 mph.
Indicated speed: 45 mph. Actual Speed: 46.0 mph.
Indicated speed: 50 mph. Actual Speed: 51.1 mph.
Indicated speed: 55 mph. Actual Speed: 56.2 mph.
Indicated speed: 60 mph. Actual Speed: 61.3 mph.
Indicated speed: 65 mph. Actual Speed: 66.4 mph.
Indicated speed: 70 mph. Actual Speed: 71.5 mph.
Indicated speed: 75 mph. Actual Speed: 76.7 mph.
Indicated speed: 80 mph. Actual Speed: 81.8 mph.
Indicated speed: 85 mph. Actual Speed: 86.9 mph.
Indicated speed: 90 mph. Actual Speed: 92.0 mph.
Indicated speed: 95 mph. Actual Speed: 97.1 mph.
Indicated speed: 100 mph. Actual Speed: 102. mph.

2. I have used Mobil1 0w40 fully synth before and I am currently using Valvoline 5w40 fully synth, which I think Volvotuning use if I am not mistaken.
Always go for a fully synth as the have a hot turbo spinning on the end. Also always use a standard Volvo oil filter (they are cheap enough and discounts are available through the forum with Marshall's of Melton Mowbray) or you can use 'Mann' oil filters as they manufacture them for Volvo. These both have the important 'non return valve'. Kwik Fit use mobil1 and is cheap at £40 including the filter. The problem is that they will only use their own filters, and not supplied ones.

IMPORTANT : Always wait until the engine is warm before booting it, and if you have been thrashing it, drive the last 2-3 miles calmly (out of the boost area on the turbo) or leave it ticking over a while (2-3 minutes) as you unload the dogs. You will get many miles of good motoring without a shagged turbo!

Is it manual or Auto?

H18JGM
Friday 7th July 2006, 22:06
Cheers for the replys guys, most helpful.

Oil wise, it sounds like pretty much any decent branded fully synth oil is fine?

The car came with those alloys from new (including 5th spare), It had quite a few options added from new (towbar, leather, wood dash, roof rails etc...)

BabyBadger - Cheers for that info, I knew it affected speedo, but was never sure by quite how much it would affect it. The cars a manual. Maybe an auto would be better... I'm always trying to look for a 6th gear when I'm not paying full attantion the same as my other car!!
I actually have an old Blitz turbo timer I used in cossies and scoobys in the past, I might well fit it to the Volvo the help run-down. I've always changed oil every 3k and used a turbo timer in past cars and never had any turbo trouble what-so-ever, so I think I'll just keep doing it!

Babybadger
Saturday 8th July 2006, 15:07
Cheers for the replys guys, most helpful.

Oil wise, it sounds like pretty much any decent branded fully synth oil is fine?

The car came with those alloys from new (including 5th spare), It had quite a few options added from new (towbar, leather, wood dash, roof rails etc...)

BabyBadger - Cheers for that info, I knew it affected speedo, but was never sure by quite how much it would affect it. The cars a manual. Maybe an auto would be better... I'm always trying to look for a 6th gear when I'm not paying full attantion the same as my other car!!
I actually have an old Blitz turbo timer I used in cossies and scoobys in the past, I might well fit it to the Volvo the help run-down. I've always changed oil every 3k and used a turbo timer in past cars and never had any turbo trouble what-so-ever, so I think I'll just keep doing it!

No need for the turbo timer, this subject was done to death not so long ago ( http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11274&highlight=timer) , the main problem being the engine running when in a petrol station.

Manual is good , I have an auto and it is damn quick off the lights, but I wish I had a manual sometimes. If the clutch is good you will get many good years out of it, check this thread though as its good practice to clean it out and saves a lot of money http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t5732-blocked-breather-pipe-leadin-to-rear-main-seal-failure.html. If you need a quick check, just take the dipstick out, and if you see smoke puffing out of it , get the PCV changed as quick as you can.

Sounds like you have a good one, if its been cared for and the mileage is right!

woz
Saturday 8th July 2006, 23:24
IMPORTANT : Always wait until the engine is warm before booting it, and if you have been thrashing it, drive the last 2-3 miles calmly (out of the boost area on the turbo) or leave it ticking over a while (2-3 minutes) as you unload the dogs. You will get many miles of good motoring without a shagged turbo!
Is it manual or Auto?
I got mine as a load lugger and family / dog transport too! I find I leave the engine idling while I scrape the dog off the rear window, which allows the turbo to cool off pleasantly!
Tee Hee

thunderace
Sunday 9th July 2006, 00:25
get one of them net thingys and they dont fly around so much

dreadly
Sunday 9th July 2006, 07:18
get one of them net thingys and they dont fly around so much

Tie the dog to the floor!!! :biggrin:

I would only use a fully synthetic in a turbo, 5-40w seems to suite the T5 fairly well.

Babybadger
Sunday 9th July 2006, 10:51
Try putting roller skates on the dog and a smooth surface in the back like a bit of tin to cover the boot floor. One glitterball , some chic on the radio, a bowl of dog food , and a spririted ride around milton keynes with the roundabouts, and he will love you forever!

H18JGM
Sunday 9th July 2006, 14:57
If you need a quick check, just take the dipstick out, and if you see smoke puffing out of it , get the PCV changed as quick as you can.

Sounds like you have a good one, if its been cared for and the mileage is right!

Cheers for that, I'm just about to give it a basic service myself, so I'll take it out and have a look and see what kind of nick it's in.

I think the milage is right. I have all the MOT's & Vovlo dealer receipts since new (2 of them are £1600 & £1700!!). It appears the first owner had the car for 10 years and did about 8k miles a year. before it went to it's last owner for 2 (who only sold it to buy a V70R).

It'll be with me until I sell my CLK when it's 3 years old, then I'll sell it too and probably go for a V70 R (Although Audi RS4's have fallen in price and looking damn tempting!!) :mischievo