PDA

View Full Version : Am i insane? (New engine)

Paul
Thursday 6th July 2006, 23:23
Yes this sounds totaly insane i have a 2001 Volvo C70 2.0 i know want a T5 thought about buying a whole new car but to be honest i love my car the way it is body work spot on everything the way i want it.

With a rough cost what would it take for the whole conversion?

Regards,
Paul

bubba_1986
Thursday 6th July 2006, 23:28
Yes this sounds totaly insane i have a 2001 Volvo C70 2.0 i know want a T5 thought about buying a whole new car but to be honest i love my car the way it is body work spot on everything the way i want it.

With a rough cost what would it take for the whole conversion?

Regards,
Paul

Personally i think you would be crazy to do that, as you can pick up a mint 2001 c70 me7 for says 7k

Though dont hold me on that

:)

Paul
Thursday 6th July 2006, 23:30
Yea but had mine since 2002 love it never let me down guess its like a house just dont want it to go :( top spec etc and could be a decent project although i was the one that suggested that a new one would prolly work out cheaper to the missus.

But hey you know what woman are like ;)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th July 2006, 23:33
Likelyhood of getting it right and running well are small. Sorry but the C70 isnt that special and there are plenty of nice examples out there if you shop around. Simply not worth the effort. I hope soon to be pretty efficient with volvo paint defects - so I doubt it will be an issue.

bubba_1986
Thursday 6th July 2006, 23:35
Yea but had mine since 2002 love it never let me down guess its like a house just dont want it to go :( top spec etc and could be a decent project although i was the one that suggested that a new one would prolly work out cheaper to the missus.

But hey you know what woman are like ;)

Yeah the women are a pain in the arse, i can understand where your coming from mate

Also if you were willing to take risk, you could leave booked as a 2.0 and not t5, this would save you cash.

Try giving salvo a ring and see how much they would charge for t5 and box, personally i would get the me7

This is due to fact that VT are now offering a 375bhp hybrid turbo for it, and if you would be getting work done, always a good thing to look into

Hope this helps a bit mate

arbee
Thursday 6th July 2006, 23:35
i would just keep an eye out for your perfect spec'd T5 C70 - even if you pay top whack to get what you want it will still be way cheaper and you wont have all the hassle of later trying to insure/sell etc a car with the wrong engine!

the_boy
Friday 7th July 2006, 00:15
FFS I see threads like this and I think I sold my car too cheaply.

The C70 has definately retained it's value.

Paul
Friday 7th July 2006, 00:33
C70 is a awsome car had 3cars since i passed my test

Clio :/

Volvo s40

Volvo c70

volvo for life ;)

Thanks for the tips fellas ill have a think over the weekend :)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 7th July 2006, 00:34
Insurers will absolutely annihilate you if you change the engine on a car that is listed with a 2 litre. Bizarre but a fact.

abdul
Friday 7th July 2006, 08:15
sell yours and buy another one it will be cheaper and better

volvotuning
Friday 7th July 2006, 08:26
I too think you would be better off buying a T5. It's a lot of work converting a 2.0T to a T5, including the remap to make it run correctly.

At least if you leave the 2.0T as it is you keep it's value. If you mess with it like that it will lose a huge amount in value when you come to selling it. Explain that it's a 2.0T with a T5 engine, and this and that... most buyers would walk away.

Adam.

Paul
Friday 7th July 2006, 09:44
yea well guess ill sell mine already spotted a open top same spec open top and same color

Wobbly Dave
Friday 7th July 2006, 13:30
If you want the speed then I'd just have the coupe. That chassis really suffers without the torsional stiffness that the regular roof provides. Do you find a lot of scuttle shake with the rag top?

Paul
Friday 7th July 2006, 14:51
dunno i have the coupe you have seen it before at a few meets

Wobbly Dave
Friday 7th July 2006, 15:01
sorry my bad - rag top doesnt work as well with the t5 engine as the chassis cannot cope without the roof IMHO

Paul
Friday 7th July 2006, 15:17
yea had thought about that was gonna test drive one

After_Shock
Saturday 8th July 2006, 22:02
You wont like the cabrio if you have the coupe, and nothing can be done to rectify the problem.

BigShrek
Wednesday 12th July 2006, 05:01
another way is to send it to volvotuning, get it rica'd, performance exhaust, filter etc etc... wouldn't be far off a standard T5 performance there. (240bhp on the 2lt T Rica upgrade iirc)